Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain reaction sterling price on GB site v Euro price on Ireland site

Options
  • 10-07-2016 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Did a comparison on two bikes on chain reaction, and the Irish price is 400 euro more expensive for the same bike on the Irish site, than it is on the GB site when you convert the GB price to euro...am I missing something..

I presume that it's across the board on components etc. So how do I purchase in sterling. Thinking of upgrading some expensive parts on my MTB.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Can't you just select your country as 'United Kingdom' and currency as 'GBP" in the top right of the home page? Very disappointed in CRC if they are not charging fair prices in euro when compared to the GB prices (considering the current exchange rate) as I've given them a lot of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont forget extra vat with an irish address 3%

and maybe they havent caught up with latest currency fluctuations

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yep I paid in sterling this week for stuff as it was cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

ted1 wrote: »
    Yep I paid in sterling this week for stuff as it was cheaper.
    you'd be mad not to! take advantage of the brexit while it lasts

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Dont know what CRC do different with currency
    I wanted to order a Garmin 520 bundle and had a voucher.

But their Euro price was dearer than wiggle but the STG price was the same.

Wiggle €325.27
    Wiggle £271.06

CRC €339.90
    CRC £271.49

I emailed them and they matched it.
    But dont know why the €15 difference....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Edge 520 bundle on bike-discount for €305.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I think theyre being sneaky and haven't adjusted to current sterling drop in value. Noticed this with a few online sites

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It's not a food idea to go with dynamic currency conversion as you don't know the margin. Some merchants are good, as in near market rates and other as 4 or 5%. Typical credit card rate is 1.5-2.5% and it's constant so you people should work it out and then decide what currency to pay with.
    There is no excuse for CRC trying not to pass on the Euro v STG gains since 23 June.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Been watching a couple of items on Wiggle. Sterling price for delivery to Ireland has been sneaking up, wiping out the exchange rate gains, while UK Sterling price has remained static. Would make sense to have delivery made to Parcel Motel in Norn Irl if the item is not too big. Unfortunately, I was looking at a pair of wheels, which won't fit in a Parcel Motel locker. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Zen0 wrote: »
    Been watching a couple of items on Wiggle. Sterling price for delivery to Ireland has been sneaking up, wiping out the exchange rate gains, while UK Sterling price has remained static. Would make sense to have delivery made to Parcel Motel in Norn Irl if the item is not too big. Unfortunately, I was looking at a pair of wheels, which won't fit in a Parcel Motel locker. :mad:

Parcel Wizard might take them and they deliver to an address of your choice rather than a locker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

traprunner wrote: »
    Parcel Wizard might take them and they deliver to an address of your choice rather than a locker.

At extra cost...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

cdaly_ wrote: »
    At extra cost...

I think they've been quite flexible with shape and sizes of packages so far. Usual cost is €3.85 but of its a few extra euro I'm sure it would be worth it on the savings made on the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Slightly O.T.

I put a few things into Wiggle basket. Total was €40. I then started again using sterling, same items came to £25. That seems to be a huge difference.
    I used Irish address both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Slightly O.T.

I put a few things into Wiggle basket. Total was €40. I then started again using sterling, same items came to £25. That seems to be a huge difference.
    I used Irish address both times.

Yeah wiggles prices are all over the place. Lifeline Shimano cleats are around £5.40stg for uk shipping location and when you Convert the currency to euro it's €8.80 but if you start with euro prices and put Ireland as destination country the price shoots up to €10.50!

Saying that it works out over €100 cheaper to buy a set of wheels I'm looking at and use the Postal Store service which only charge €3 for any item under 20jg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Zen0 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I was looking at a pair of wheels, which won't fit in a Parcel Motel locker. :mad:

From Parcel Motels website:

" If your parcel does not fit in a Parcel Motel locker, we will notify you and make alternative arrangements".

A guy I know bought a TV on Amazon and got it sent to PM. They rang him so he met the van at the PM locker and brought his TB in the boot of his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

syklops wrote: »
    From Parcel Motels website:

" If your parcel does not fit in a Parcel Motel locker, we will notify you and make alternative arrangements".

A guy I know bought a TV on Amazon and got it sent to PM. They rang him so he met the van at the PM locker and brought his TB in the boot of his car.

He was lucky. Its supposed to be an additional €7 + extras if the item is oversized
    A Samsung 46” Smart LED TV in its box measures 130 × 80 × 18 cm so the dimensional weigh is 62.4 kg so the charge for this is €21.00 to collect and €28.95 to have delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

So how do I purchase in sterling, I can save about 40 euro on a groupset by switching, but once I log in to the site, it changes back to local Ireland price in euro, do I need to use my parcel motel for this?

Rant: If they give me the lower price I would probably spend 40+ on something else on the site anyway.

332.62 Euro from uk v €373.99 from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

You should be able to change to sterling at the top right where you are likely seeing the irish flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

No doubt they cant instantly give the daily conversion rate as it will depend on when they bought the product themselves so Brexit savings might take months to actually reflect on their web prices....defo buy in the sterling version...
    Planet x are the same.... €36.99 here for a pair of bibshorts Uk site is £17.99(€21.50 ish) plus €3 delivery with an post address pal.
    In fairness I do my best to buy in my LBS but you cant really ignore the savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Had a 10% voucher.
    Plus bike discount charge postage where CRC is free...
    omri wrote: »
    Edge 520 bundle on bike-discount for €305.

• Advertisement

No doubt they cant instantly give the daily conversion rate as it will depend on when they bought the product themselves so Brexit savings might take months to actually reflect on their web prices.

$US would be the currency bike components are sold at wholesale level.

Brexit should not be a factor in dynamic currency coversion on line. These margins are fixed by the merchant so if the % has gone up, then the merchant has upped it manually.

Go to Germany - better prices for loads of things even with extra shipping cost. The shipping is built into CRC/Wiggle etc pricing anyway - you just think it's free over a certain amount but somebody - something has to cover that cost.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    $US would be the currency bike components are sold at wholesale level.

Brexit should not be a factor in dynamic currency coversion on line. These margins are fixed by the merchant so if the % has gone up, then the merchant has upped it manually.

Go to Germany - better prices for loads of things even with extra shipping cost. The shipping is built into CRC/Wiggle etc pricing anyway - you just think it's free over a certain amount but somebody - something has to cover that cost.

Do small orders chain reaction are the best as it's free delivery over 9 euro. German sites will charge a minimum of 8.50 shipping. Can you get a ultegra chain delivered for 15 GBP from Germany

ted1 wrote: »
    Do small orders chain reaction are the best as it's free delivery over 9 euro. German sites will charge a minimum of 8.50 shipping. Can you get a ultegra chain delivered for 15 GBP from Germany

I have no idea - I run Campag and I am not going to go checking sites for you to find out. If that is the case, arguing a few € on the stg exchange is pointless. If you are saving but not saving as much, it's still way better than paying RRP at LBS.

You could always look at buying two Ultegra chains ex Germany. It's always good to have a spare chain... :D

As soon as the customs barriers go up it will be Germany/Europe all the way for Customs free purchases! Free shipping won't be enough to to sway it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

dfdream wrote: »
    Dont know what CRC do different with currency
    I wanted to order a Garmin 520 bundle and had a voucher.

But their Euro price was dearer than wiggle but the STG price was the same.

Wiggle €325.27
    Wiggle £271.06

CRC €339.90
    CRC £271.49

I emailed them and they matched it.
    But dont know why the €15 difference....

Aren't both companies part of the same group? Owned by pension funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Just saved about €25 on a pair of Cycling shoes changing to UK/GBP and using Parcel Motel

niallo32 wrote: »
    Just saved about €25 on a pair of Cycling shoes changing to UK/GBP and using Parcel Motel

Most times* You just need to change the currency
    *privided you've reached the free delivery window

So you select GBP and Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

I thought that and after waiting 7 days for it to be delivered an irish site had the wheels 25 euro cheaper ( which I only found after I'd ordered)

If I'm not in a rush I might use the Germans but they with that delivery time 4 days in gatwick. Derailleur and cables from crc ordered Thursday night arrived this morning

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Aren't both companies part of the same group? Owned by pension funds?
    Not sure if the merger has completed yet. Even when/if it does there is no requirement to run them as a single business, although no doubt they will be able to combine purchasing power regardless (although even that would probably take a while to deliver benefits as both companies will be committed to existing contractual arrangements)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

apologies - off topic but I need to replace a shifter that CRC don't have - what is the name of the German site that seemed to have everything ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Worth the drive up to the warehouse if you're going to spend a lot, guessing probably not :-(

Advertisement