Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain reaction sterling price on GB site v Euro price on Ireland site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Best pratice is to shop around and german sites tend to have best prices. They also offer price match. So if you have bigger order its best place to go. Bike24 matched prices and shipping of bike-discount plus they have the biggest choice. 4thebike has in some cases the lowest prices of these three german websites. Their shipping is most expensive almost €19. They seem to have the smallest selection. When I compared my wishlist of items available in all three shops I was able to save over €50 incl shipping. Bike24 and bike-discount also offer free returns which is great I went through 5 different saddles tested them and returned the ones that didnt fit. I no longer go to crc or wiggle unless I cant find something on german websites.

Having said that I got few bits from merlin recently which were cheaper than from crc, wiggle or german sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    Not sure if the merger has completed yet. Even when/if it does there is no requirement to run them as a single business, although no doubt they will be able to combine purchasing power regardless (although even that would probably take a while to deliver benefits as both companies will be committed to existing contractual arrangements)

Yes, but one would imagine that a sort of "streamlined" setup would result in some sort of price homogeny. Eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Not sure if the merger has completed yet. Even when/if it does there is no requirement to run them as a single business, although no doubt they will be able to combine purchasing power regardless (although even that would probably take a while to deliver benefits as both companies will be committed to existing contractual arrangements)

I would have thought that, in the medium term, it would make economic sense for the two businesses to combine all of their logistical and administrative functions (purchasing, distribution, finance etc) but still present two distinct "shopfronts" to the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

C3PO wrote: »
    I would have thought that, in the medium term, it would make economic sense for the two businesses to combine all of their logistical and administrative functions (purchasing, distribution, finance etc) but still present two distinct "shopfronts" to the world?

If they combine distribution to the extent that CRC's delivery slows down to be similar to Wiggle's, then they will lose a lot of business from ROI, I would imagine. I know that I would spend less with them, as the prompt delivery has definitely been a factor in several of my purchases.

EDIT: Interestingly, I have noted the last few times browsing that Evans seem to give an even more favourable exchange rate than even XE in going from GBP to EUR, and this seems to be the case still - 5800 brake calipers go for £23.99 there, but convert to €28.07 - XE puts that at €28.37, and any conversion by your bank/paypal will almost certainly be higher again. You do have to pay shipping up to a high threshold admittedly, but if you've a high value item to buy it's worth keeping in mind!

cython wrote: »
    If they combine distribution to the extent that CRC's delivery slows down to be similar to Wiggle's, then they will lose a lot of business from ROI, I would imagine. I know that I would spend less with them, as the prompt delivery has definitely been a factor in several of my purchases.

I agree - I order anything that I need quickly from CRC (usually small consumables) and if I'm not in a rush I inevitably buy from one of the German sites. But even though I'm a very regular customer of CRCs I can't imagine I'm a very profitable one for them - my typical order value would be low and with free shipping I'd say margins on me are tight!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I agree - I order anything that I need quickly from CRC (usually small consumables) and if I'm not in a rush I inevitably buy from one of the German sites. But even though I'm a very regular customer of CRCs I can't imagine I'm a very profitable one for them - my typical order value would be low and with free shipping I'd say margins on me are tight!!
    CRC have a deal with British Cycling which allows members an additional 10% off whatever their already discounted price is. In my case it very quickly covered my BC membership fee!

Wouldn't mind if that got extended to Wiggle, but it is one of the reasons they will continue to run as separate brands for a while at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Yes, but one would imagine that a sort of "streamlined" setup would result in some sort of price homogeny. Eventually!

I am with Beasty on this. They don't have to offer cheaper prices at all. Sometimes a take out is to reduce competition and therefore increase margins over time! Plenty of cases of two retail brands with the same ownership charging different prices for the same thing. For example. Topaz and Esso prices did not align when both brands were owned by DOBrien.

Logistically it would make sense to combine the pick and pack or even cut cost of two marketing channels but in the short term, their biggest challenge will be the fallout from Brexit. All consignments above €22 are chargeable for VAT and duty at point of entry to the EU. This must be a big headache for CRC etc. Will they relocate to Ireland to preserve the inter European Union border less trade between member countries ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    All consignments above €22 are chargeable for VAT and duty at point of entry to the EU. This must be a big headache for CRC etc. Will they relocate to Ireland to preserve the inter European Union border less trade between member countries ?
    Time will tell but I suspect there will be arrangements put in place to avoid any customs duties applying. CRC are already registered for Irish VAT and Brexit will not change that

However you raise a valid point, and there may be a temptation for perhaps the CRC side of things to relocate South to maintain an EU base. Equally if the UK reduces its corporate tax rate as suggested to 15% maybe they would retain a significant UK base. Perhaps Wiggle could stay in the UK in those circumstances

However all of this is pure speculation at this stage and it's going to be a year or two before we start seeing the impact of Brexit on how companies locate their businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Presumably they just need to relocate a head office as opposed to the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Time will tell but I suspect there will be arrangements put in place to avoid any customs duties applying. CRC are already registered for Irish VAT and Brexit will not change that

The rules around registration of UK companies for Irish VAT and vice versa are based on EU rules. When Brexit takes place that will be another of the key points that will have to be negotiated.

The current registration that CRC has will cease as will the registration for Irish companies selling into the UK.

• Advertisement

del_boy13 wrote: »
    The rules around registration of UK companies for Irish VAT and vice versa are based on EU rules. When Brexit takes place that will be another of the key points that will have to be negotiated.

The current registration that CRC has will cease as will the registration for Irish companies selling into the UK.

That is 100% correct. CRC et all are obliged under EU law to charge the VAT rate (and register for VAT) when their sales to that country exceed the threshold for no registration. This all changes whenever GB is fiscally devolved from the EU. After that, VAT and customs duty at the applicable EU rates will be chargeable on all imports of goods from outside the EU at point of entry into the EU. Same as if you bought from USA, Switzerland, Norway. These duties cannot be avoided - a charge arises for all imports into the EU.
    As it currently stands, and please check this is anybody wants to, if you go on Rose, you will see a separate process for sales to Switzerland. Ultimately, something similar will apply to all UK retailers selling goods into the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That is 100% correct. CRC et all are obliged under EU law to charge the VAT rate (and register for VAT) when their sales to that country exceed the threshold for no registration. This all changes whenever GB is fiscally devolved from the EU. After that, VAT and customs duty at the applicable EU rates will be chargeable on all imports of goods from outside the EU at point of entry into the EU. Same as if you bought from USA, Switzerland, Norway. These duties cannot be avoided - a charge arises for all imports into the EU.
    As it currently stands, and please check this is anybody wants to, if you go on Rose, you will see a separate process for sales to Switzerland. Ultimately, something similar will apply to all UK retailers selling goods into the EU.
    I know several American companies who bulk ship to the Netherlands and then forward on the smaller orders to the rest of the E.U

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

ted1 wrote: »
    I know several American companies who bulk ship to the Netherlands and then forward on the smaller orders to the rest of the E.U

Oneplus do the same to the UK from China at the moment as well with phones, but they still factor VAT, duty, etc. into the quoted price, and this is paid on entry of the goods to the EU's common market. It means you won't get stung for it on receipt of the product, but only because you've already paid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Slightly off topic but how have people found the postage times from CRC using Parcel Motel. I ordered on Sunday, it was shipped Monday and is only out for delivery to Parcel Motel today so I will probably get it Saturday.

If I spent the extra by paying in euro I would have had it Tuesday. It wasn't something I was in a rush for so no problem there, I'm just curious as to how people have found the royal mail delivery time to Parcel Motel?

brianomc wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but how have people found the postage times from CRC using Parcel Motel. I ordered on Sunday, it was shipped Monday and is only out for delivery to Parcel Motel today so I will probably get it Saturday.

If I spent the extra by paying in euro I would have had it Tuesday. It wasn't something I was in a rush for so no problem there, I'm just curious as to how people have found the royal mail delivery time to Parcel Motel?

Not so sure you would have had it Tuesday! I ordered on Monday and got a "despatched" note on Monday also but didn't get delivery until lunchtime today via An Post to my office in Ballsbridge!

You don't need to use parcel motel, just keep your country as Ireland and change the currency.

You don't need to use parcel motel, just keep your country as Ireland and change the currency.

That didnt work for me unfortunately. The price jumped back up, possibly as it was a helmet so different VAT rates would have applied.

Not so sure you would have had it Tuesday! I ordered on Monday and got a "despatched" note on Monday also but didn't get delivery until lunchtime today via An Post to my office in Ballsbridge!

Maybe it's a bad week so in the delivery game. If I get a dispatched note on a Monday, 99% of the time I get it delivered on the Tuesday morning at work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Took something 5 working days to arrive for me trough PM. Would've been quicker by normal route, but the saving was significant enough

That didnt work for me unfortunately. The price jumped back up, possibly as it was a helmet so different VAT rates would have applied.

That's what it was , I received an order on Monday that was paid for in sterling

• Advertisement

Maybe it's a bad week so in the delivery game. If I get a dispatched note on a Monday, 99% of the time I get it delivered on the Tuesday morning at work.

Yep - I would usually be the same. Interestingly the tracking number wasn't recognised by the An Post system until yesterday evening which might imply that despite a "despatched" notice on Monday the parcel may not have actually been picked up and scanned until yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭maldondo

The North basically shuts down for the week of the 12th. CRC ships from the North so expect delays on anything ordered this week.

maldondo wrote: »
    The North basically shuts down for the week of the 12th. CRC ships from the North so expect delays on anything ordered this week.

I didn't think of that. Good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Offtopic maybe, but what's the best UK-based store that sells in pounds to get a shiny new pair of Oakleys?

VAT and Customs duty are still payable at point of entry into EU — Holland in this case. These taxes cannot be legally avoided by using dropshipment from outside the EU.

VAT and Customs duty are still payable at point of entry into EU — Holland in this case. These taxes cannot be legally avoided by using dropshipment from outside the EU.

Holland use to have the lowest rate , so they came in there and that was the applied rate. That's how they pick the country to drop ship

Holland use to have the lowest rate , so they came in there and that was the applied rate. That's how they pick the country to drop ship

I would do that too but that is only applicable for VAT. Customs tariffs (duty / ad volerim / tarrifs) are the same (standardised) across the EU – so no different in Holland than Spain or Ireland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

When i selected my country as Ireland and my currency as Pounds i got total of £78.98 but when i select country as UK and currency as Pounds i got a total of £74.98. Both free shipping. It looks like they have copped on and are still give a lesser rate to people buying from Ireland.

It looks like they are applying a 5% markup on their prices to Ireland. Part of that (around 3%) is due to VAT. It would be interesting to hear their explanation of the other 2% though.

• Advertisement

Yes, I put it down to VAT also, but like Beasty, wonder where the other 3.4% (approx) is coming from. Where the additional margin on any order is significantly over parcel motel, wizard or addresspal additional fee, I would (personally) give them a uk address and let them keep their mark up!

Advertisement