Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain reaction sterling price on GB site v Euro price on Ireland site

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ted1 wrote: »
    The local market is the EU as for a different company it's the one site.

Here is a similar incident.
    https://www.ft.com/content/e472eec2-031b-11e6-af1d-c47326021344

Has anyone reported CRC?

Article is hidden behind a firewall, but it looks as if it about different prices for providing the same service at the same location, i.e. Disneyland Paris. The retail price of the same goods in different locations across the EU, or even within a country, can and does vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

As an aside I recently returned an unused item for exchange - I was pleasantly surprised that they allowed me what I paid for it months ago, as the current price is about €6 cheaper on their site.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I've actually noted in the last week that Wiggle have gone to the dogs wrt this lately, e.g. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-speed-cadence-sensor/ is a full 9 euro cheaper (keeping euro for both destinations, no idea what further impact currency might have) if you put the destination as UK rather than ROI, which is over 16% extra of a "paddy-tax" - no way that differing VAT rates alone accounts for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I currently have a (very) upgraded Felt Z6 that will be 3 years old in January. I have no interest in changing but saw the much more expensive Z3 on sale in wiggle.co.uk and had a look.

399367.JPG

The numbers are very interesting.

In January 2014, I saved 38% on the original list price of just under €1,750 by paying €1,080 for my Z6.

Today the Z3 is listed at €1,744 - a similar % saving I got on my Z6 from the list price of €2,683 (link)

If I change my location to the UK, the price is £1299.35 - or €1,437 using XE. Even adjusting for VAT, the price is €1,473.

Conclusions:
    • Wiggle add 3.9% if you pay in € rather than £
    • VAT Adjusted, the above figure is 1.35%.
    • Wiggle add 16.8 % if you change your address from UK to IE
    • Pay in STG and get delivered to a UK address. The €307.35 (more than 21%) you save will pay for your currency and delivery charges with lots to spare.

But I'm not buying. Unless somebody wants to offer me over a grand for my own yoke ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cython wrote: »
    I've actually noted in the last week that Wiggle have gone to the dogs wrt this lately, e.g. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-speed-cadence-sensor/ is a full 9 euro cheaper (keeping euro for both destinations, no idea what further impact currency might have) if you put the destination as UK rather than ROI, which is over 16% extra of a "paddy-tax" - no way that differing VAT rates alone accounts for that!

Are they not under common ownership now? If the merger has gone ahead I'm not surprised they would try to standardise terms

Only question for me is whether to wait it out, buying a few things in the meantime, then sue them for the price differential:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Weepsie wrote: »

Don't CRC also have some set up in Ireland, registered in Cork? Could be technically selling through a different company?

Just don't buy if you're that bothered at the end of the day.

Agree with the latter. Does not make it right to price discriminate though!

AFAICR CRC registered a transaction company in Cork in 2011. I am not sure what it does but the Irish corporation tax is sure to have been a significant reason to locate this company here rather than keep it in NI.

CRC generated 60% of their sales in the EU in 2012. Brexit is a big challenge / headache for them!

Beasty wrote: »

Only question for me is whether to wait it out, buying a few things in the meantime, then sue them for the price differential:pac:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

A particular helmet is currently e229 on CRC. If you change the currency to GBP, it's about 190 pounds. Then, change your location to UK and it's UK£151. Now that's pure messing by CRC. They are literally robbing euro customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Robotack wrote: »
    A particular helmet is currently e229 on CRC. If you change the currency to GBP, it's about 190 pounds. Then, change your location to UK and it's UK£151. Now that's pure messing by CRC. They are literally robbing euro customers.

I remember when motorbiking there wasn't any vat on motorcycle helmets in the UK whereas there is here. Could be the same for bicycle helmets.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I remember when motorbiking there wasn't any vat on motorcycle helmets in the UK whereas there is here. Could be the same for bicycle helmets.

It is, but that's for delivery in the UK. CRC are required to apply Irish VAT rules when delivering into Ireland

• Advertisement

Just sent them this message
    I note you have recently implemented a discriminatory pricing structure in contravention of EU law. As I am sure you already know you are not permitted to discriminate by reference to residence within the EU. You are clearly charging higher prices to Irish residents. I fully acknowledge you are required to apply the Irish VAT rate but the difference is much higher than that (and to be clear I always pay the GBP price so exchange rates do not come into this. You also cannot claim any justification by reference to delivery costs as you clearly state delivery is free (certainly on my own orders)
    I look forward to a correction of this dual pricing process and refund of the extra you have charged me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just sent them this message

Let's see what they say, a complaint to the relative body should be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Robotack wrote: »
    A particular helmet is currently e229 on CRC. If you change the currency to GBP, it's about 190 pounds. Then, change your location to UK and it's UK 151. Now that's pure messing by CRC. They are literally robbing euro customers.
    No vat on helmets in UK. Safety equipment. Same for all UK retailers. One thing where parcel motel is definitely way to go. Bought one from Evans earlier this year. So in this case can't blame CRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

rtmie wrote: »
    No vat on helmets in UK. Safety equipment. Same for all UK retailers. One thing where parcel motel is definitely way to go. Bought one from Evans earlier this year. So in this case can't blame CRC.

True. Totally forgot about this ..... BUT... 190 pounds is certainly not 229 euro!

So still a little explaining for CRC to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Are we not shooting ourselves in the foot by highlighting this anonomly in the pricing (by using PM and ordering on a uk "card") , ok a bit of a work around but it works generally , or am I missing something in this argument?

You are shooting yourself in the foot by not trying to protect/enforce your EU consumer rights. If you select a UK address - you quite rightly pay uk prices. If that address is Parcel Motel and they forward the goods to you in Ireland, that's between you and PM. Yes, CRC could block PM orders, but then they would be shooting themselves in the foot as you can go to Germany and buy everything they have and not be penalised for being from Ireland. AmazonUK don't penalise you for being from Ireland, so why should CRC be allowed do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

I hear you ..but that's the way it is....if you had a big buy atm what would you do ??
    Act on principle or pocket....

moonshadow wrote: »
    if you had a big buy atm what would you do ??
    Act on principle or pocket....
    Nah! I'll just sue 'em

Nah! I'll just sue 'em

I am going to email them too. Did you get a response ??

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I am going to email them too. Did you get a response ??

Standard one about delivery, promotions etc so far. I've responded and await a further reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Are they not under common ownership now? If the merger has gone ahead I'm not surprised they would try to standardise terms

If there were any doubts as to the merger's completion/closing, I think they can be put to bed now with the email I just received about CRC now stocking DHB clothing! Haven't gone so far as to research any pricing yet, mind.

I was going to reply to the post about the helmet but it's not here. Anyway, to the poster, helmets are zero rated for vat in the UK. This will explain most of the difference in that example.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cython wrote: »
    If there were any doubts as to the merger's completion/closing, I think they can be put to bed now with the email I just received about CRC now stocking DHB clothing! Haven't gone so far as to research any pricing yet, mind.

Am planning on picking up some winter gear myself shortly and have gone with DHB in the past. The cheaper £80 DHB bib tights come in at €107 which should be €93 allowing for current currency rates and VAT difference. Don't see myself using Wiggle/CRC again any time soon, its not even the price so much as the rip off factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cats pyjamas

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Don't forget an posts new service called addresspal. Check it out. I have one of these. They give you an english to get stuff sent to and then send it to your lical nominated post office for small fee. They text you when it arrives and you pixk it up. Usually 3.50 but the price goes up for bigger items. Ive used it three rimes and saved about a tenner each time. Havent used it for anything big yet but check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Used address pal for some ink cartridges £19 shipping to ireland or free to uk mainland. Plus 3.50 address pal fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some supplements can be zero rated in the UK too. Glucose stuff etc. Same goes for amazon. The application can be a bit more random than helmets as its more vague.

If you buy whey or glucose with a picture of a scrawny baker on the front its zero rated here, if the baker is flexing a large bicep its 23% -seriously.

In another recent thread a poster got a refund from amazon for powdered food which should have been zero rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Looks like wiggle have brought the euro price a lot closer to the sterling price on some of their stuff. A bike I've been following was around 3300 earlier this week, down to 2750 now. Still a little more expensive than the sterling but nothing huge anymore and is probably the delivery fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This opens a gap in the Irish market for someone who can get distribution right. The reason I've been favouring CRC over Wiggle in recent times is primarily down to the latter's broken delivery system. CRC have consistently shipped stuff earlier and it obviously arrives quicker being in NI.

Wiggle will accept your order and then leave it sitting in the "processing" state for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd wonder if the likes of CycleSuperStore or SwimCycleRun are monitoring this and looking at how they can fill a void. Sadly they don't have the buying power.

Advertisement