Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole trader / Freelance with full time job

Options
  • 10-07-2016 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. Recently I have made a decision to look into registering as a sole trader and need some guidance and advice. I am currently in full time employment in retail and have a 22 hour permanent contract but work 37 hours a week.

The question is should I or do I have to register as a sole trader? The business in question would be website and graphic designer. To be honest I wouldn't be making a whole lot from it. A rough estimate would be between €1,500 - €3,000 per year. Also I would be working from home.

When it comes to tax and vat I haven't a clue. One of my housemates said she had to register online and it cots €50 to do so. Oh and you dont pay any tax for the first year once you do not earn a high amount.
    A guy in work told me that it only cost him €20 to do so online but my housemate would be working out of a studio provided so maybe its more expensive to do so?

To sum it all up I am pretty clueless on the subject :p Really appreciate any advice or links to articles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

You don't need to register as a sole trader unless you want to register a business name. This can be done at CRO.ie for €20

VAT registration is only required when you're business is on target to turn over €37,500 in a 12 month period. None of this has anything to do with your employment.

Find a phone no. for Revenue and talk to them. Let them know that this will be a side business and that you're keeping your job. They'll tell you what you're legally required to do with regard to tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Thats good to know that I do not need to register unless its a business name. I will contact revenue today and let them know about any additional income.

Would it be possible for me to get something like a kick starter grant. Currently my equipment is not the fastest and I could do with an upgrade but financially cannot afford it. If this is possible how to I go about applying for it. Because I am in full time employment would this hinder the application?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

......and you will probably have to pay tax if you're already employed and paying tax. As self-employed you will pay the taxman in October/November next year for any revenue you earned this year.

As for grants, I'm pretty sure you won't be eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

......and you will probably have to pay tax if you're already employed and paying tax. As self-employed you will pay the taxman in October/November next year for any revenue you earned this year.

As for grants, I'm pretty sure you won't be eligible.

Ah yeah of coarse I will pay extra tax. They will more than likely up my current rate.

Rang a few places earlier in relation to applying for a grant. Ended up at www.localenterprise.ie which has plenty of information if anyone else is curious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I posted this in another thread which may be relevant for you if you will have a low turnover:
    You will still have to declare the income to revenue though - you can get away with a simpler eForm 12 as opposed to a Form 11 - I think its more straightforward.

Not an expert in this stuff so I would do your research around that side of things if I were you

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/fa...rm12-faqs.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/p...m-12-1.1817653

As an aside there really should be a sticky thread for this exact question - it must come up at least once a week

• Advertisement
Advertisement