Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Quick question about linux

Options
  • 10-07-2016 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Nothing major but somebody might be able to help me:o

Have a laptop thats a good few years old(4-5 old toshiba c850-101) all i use it is for the web really
    Hard drive failed lately so instead of going looking for the windows key etc downloaded Linux mint 17.2 banged that onto a usb stick fresh install working away the finest installed onto a spare hard drive i have.

Only problem i have is the hdmi output doesnt work anymore anybody any help how i go about fixing it?
    Also it takes a good 45-50 secs to boot would i benefit any bit by buying a cheap ssd to throw into it or would i be just wasting money.
    Something like thishttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-SSDNow-UV400-Solid-Stand-Alone/dp/B01FJ4UN76/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1468178964&sr=1-5&keywords=120gb+ssd
    As i said all i use it for is web browsing nothing else so dont really want to go spending 3-500 on a replacement i wouldnt really use

Thanks all:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Why version 17.2? Did you install it last year or typo?
    17.3 is latest release in that 17.x "famiiy"(December 2015) and Version 18 is out now a few weeks.

Boot issue
    That's not too bad boot time for a HDD it could be made faster i would say
    There are few things you can do to check it and maybe make it faster .
    How are your linux skills do you know how to type commands in terminal?
    An SSD will speed up boot times as well as general performance My arch linux computer boots in 15 seconds for example.

HDMI issue
    If you pull up your display settings in the control panel with an external display attached, you should see a representation of two monitors.
    You can control much of this from there — or at least should be able to.

Help
    There is an official linux mint forum might be an idea to start a thread there
    https://forums.linuxmint.com/
    or you can try the linux mint sub redddit on reddit
    https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wouldnt bother with an SSD honestly, that Celeron is REALLY weak and will probably negate most of the gains.

Get what life you can out of it with software, but don't invest cash in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭crasy dash

To be honest I'd say its time for the bin for it.It was a poor spec machine from day one.

Thanks for the replies though think I'll change my thinking and look at investing in a new laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Is there no Windows sticker on the side of the laptop with the code and Windows version? Much as I love Linux, things like that are gonna be much harder to do in Linux than in Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Windows went corrupt on the hard drive so I tried a system restore but it would never go to 100%..

Swapped out the hard drive and tried fresh install on a spare hard drive with the key I had but it would only come up as something to do with not compatible due to OEM can't remember this was probably 4-5 months ago.

I'll probably just buy a new machine in a few weeks, linux its grand for what I need it for bar the non working HDMI.

Thanks again for the input though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

memoryc have 120G SSD's for 40 euro delivered. https://www.memoryc.com/storage/ssd/120gb-silicon-power-sata-iii-ssd-s55-25-inch-7mm.html

Personally I'd give that a whirl if you can get your HDMI issue sorted. It's a 40 quid gamble and you'd still have the SSD for future use if it didn't work out. I've seen really sh*tty laptops transformed by an SSD.

I would install Mint 18 on it though. I put it on a 10 year old PC with SSD last week and it's flying along.

Advertisement