Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment issues

Options
  • 10-07-2016 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi everyone
    I'm looking for advice on my current employment situation. A couple of years ago I had a serious accident which resulted in my being absent from work for approx 4 months. My medical advisor recommended I return to work initially doing half days (office desk based job) but as I have a 3hr daily commute I offered to do 4 full days with one day off mid week, this was also the day I attended physiotherapy. I felt this would also benefit my employer more having me in the office for 4 full days rather than 5 half days. This adhoc arrangement with my immediate manager lead to me being given a company laptop and being asked to work from home on my 'rest/physio' day. I would regularly be asked to do additional work on this day as well as my normal work.
    After a period of this arrangement, I was asked to return to a 5 day week. I tried this but unfortunately I couldnt manage it, I still have a lot of ongoing medical issues and am still having intermittent treatment and injections. So recently a new department manager started in the company and she decided to formalise the situation by having me examined by the company doctor. I felt this was a positive move as I was beginning to feel that I was being penalised with a lot of additional work on the day I was due to be off. So the company doc recommended that the working from home situation continue for about a year and then to be reviewed, this was back at end of February. The dept manager said she could allow the arrangement to continue until end June, 4 months out of the 1 year recommended. The reason given was that 2 colleagues were retiring and I was needed within the walls of the office full time. At the end of June I had a catch up with the dept manager and explained that I was still having medical problems and both my GP and physio recommended that I be allowed to work from home for 2 days or at least 1 day a week for the remainder of the year. So I explained that I felt I shouldnt be going against the medical advice any longer. The dept manager is quite stern and abrupt and the conversation ended with her saying she would organise another medical with the company doc, which is tomorrow. But as he already made a recommendation only 4 months ago, I dont see how there could be any change of opinion in the next report. Also, does anyone know what happens next in situations such as these? I'm so frustrated and exhausted both physically and mentally from the whole situation and can't see an end to it yet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Life is too short to be stressing over this stuff. Surely you'd walk into another job with the experience you have?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Was the accident in your employment or outside of it?

Advertisement