Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are these plants dying?

Options
  • 10-07-2016 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

And are they dying? I know one of them is lavender , not sure of the other! Any advice welcome :)

391377.jpg

391378.jpg

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Am not 100% sure that you have a lavender there -- looks more like a salvia, but either way part of the problem is your heavy/dense soil. Your second plant is a sea pink which needs extreme drainage. You'll either need to pot it into a compost with a lot of sharp grit/gravel or add a lot of the same grit to your flower bed. Lavender also needs a warm spot in a very free draining soil. The salvia may also be planted a bit deep - just keep it level with its original compost. A sea pink will also prefer a windy or exposed spot, which would not suit a salvia.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

They are not dying, it's just they're almost finished flowering for this year. Cut back the flowering stems when they're done. They'll flower again next year, bigger and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lottpaul is correct, there is no lavender there, you have salvia, verbena bodnantensis and sea pinks or thrift.

I don't think any of them are dying, the salvia and thrift are just going over - they have finished flowering - and the verbena is ok, though much smaller than usual, they can grow to 4ft high.

The soil does look a bit heavy and I might be concerned that the plants might not reappear next year. Thrift is difficult to keep alive other than where it chooses to grow along the seaside. Verbena needs to self seed, which it will do with enthusiasm if it likes the conditions, the original plants do not last all that long. I am not all that familiar with salvia, but it looks ok. Cut the dead heads off the thrift.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

lk67 wrote: »
    They are not dying, it's just they're almost finished flowering for this year. Cut back the flowering stems when they're done. They'll flower again next year, bigger and better.

I agree. Plant is not dying, flowers are just dying back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Thanks for the education guys! Gardener said he was planting lavender and silly me assumed that's what I got! There are an array of plants in the garden and the gardener has yet to pass on the names of each plant so i'm very clueless here.

So turns out I was probably over watering them given the comments as I thought they needed daily watering! Hopefully no lasting damage done! I'll dead head them and see how they behave, if the soil is an issue I'll look at options!

• Advertisement

Given the amount of rain we have had this summer they really should not need watering! Having said that you are not likely to have done any harm by watering. The only issue is that the flowers are going over.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Is that not lavender (or possibly Rosemary) back by the fence in the raised bed in the first pic? Can't tell if those pink flowers are the same plant as they're a bit far away?

I honestly couldn't tell you what they are. I think he planted about 50 different plants/trees/shrubs of about 14 varieties (maybe more/less), he never left the info card in the soil with the plants and he never passed on the names of them so most of them are a mystery to me!

I think you could be right about the lavender in the first pic, I did not notice the ones by the fence. The pinker ones further down could be french lavender, but a better pic would help.

OP I'm sure if you were to post pics of the different plants we would be only delighted to identify them!

Thanks, I think I'll do that. Would be good to know what I have and how they will grow. I looked up some lavender plants online and they do appear to look like Lavender before flowering!

• Advertisement
Advertisement