Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cassette size and chain length

Options
  • 10-07-2016 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, I have a 10 speed cassette 11-28 but want to change to 11-32. Would my current chain still work or do I need a bigger chain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Not being smart, but it depends on the length of your chain. Chances are, however, that you'd need a longer one. I would tend to change my chain any time I'm changing cassette anyway, unless the chain is fairly new. Do you check your chain for wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Zen0 wrote: »
    Not being smart, but it depends on the length of your chain. Chances are, however, that you'd need a longer one. I would tend to change my chain any time I'm changing cassette anyway, unless the chain is fairly new. Do you check your chain for wear?

Tbh there's feck all miles done on it. Not been on the bikebin a long time just getting back to it so I'd say there's very little wear on it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you're going for a 32, you may need a different cage also. You may be able to go to a 30 with your current chain/cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

If you're going for a 32, you may need a different cage also. You may be able to go to a 30 with your current chain/cage.

I have a medium cage waiting to go on the bike should do the job!

Advertisement