Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Streaming Boxs

• 10-07-2016 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey does anybody know anything about the streaming boxes. I just installed fibre broadband and a few friends are telling me to get one of these. Are they legal and are they any good? If they are why doesn't everybody have one? Sick of paying high bills but I love my sport. Thanks for the help....

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Answering this question on the basis that it is question on the legalities and not a how to of how to acquire, install or use such a device. I've no doubt someone will try to deviate from this, so when they do they can earn themselves a 48 hour ban and the thread gets closed at that point

First of all, a streaming box, as a piece of hardware, is not illegal. There are many legal uses of them, and indeed Apple and Amazon, among others, sell boxes tied to particular app stores.

The problem as you allude to is the content. It's illegal to make a copy of a work you do not own, except in specific circumstances.

Section 371 of the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000 provides for a summary offence of "unlawful reception" of an encrypted television programme. There are also civil remedies available. We can't provide legal advice on boards so I won't go any further than that, but maybe there might be some understanding of why we don't allow discussion here on these boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have an Apple TV (the previous model, still available new at €79) and the original Google Chromecast. I was in the new Power City branch in Carrickmines the other day and saw a couple of TV boxes in a glass case, are there additional TV services or apps that you can get on these boxes that you can't get via Apple TV or Chromecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jimmytootimes

Yes. I have an Apple TV it's great, however, these boxes are stand alone so you don't have to use your phone or laptop and also the big plus is you can get all the live sport and new movies plus all terrestrial channels as well. My only reluctance is, is the quality good enough? I couldn't deal with any freezing or buffering ...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Look, I think we'll end the discussion there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement