Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are rent prices negotiable?

Options
  • 11-07-2016 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

We're looking for a place to rent in the surrounding counties of Dublin and aside from most landlords being extremely dog unfriendly, the prices are crazy! In general are rent prices negotiable? I don't have much renting experience so I don't have a clue! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

We're looking for a place to rent in the surrounding counties of Dublin and aside from most landlords being extremely dog unfriendly, the prices are crazy! In general are rent prices negotiable? I don't have much renting experience so I don't have a clue! Thanks!

To be honest anything within commuting distance of Dublin is unlikely to be negotiable but it's no harm to ask.

Re dogs, try offering to pay an additional pet deposit. Also avoid apartments, most complexes have rules prohibiting dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

I wouldn't have thought so but a few weeks ago a good friend of mine negotiated down the rent increase his landlord was imposing on his Dublin 4 apartment by €100 a month. In fairness, he was prepared to move if the landlord said no, he just thought he'd give it a go before throwing in the towel and it worked!

There's no harm asking but gauge it first if you can. If a landlord has lots of interest in a place, there's no need for him to negotiate. My friend was a sitting tenant so that was why it worked for him as he's a good tenant. But at the start of a tenancy, in this market it'd probably be difficult to impossible to negotiate, depending on the location of, and interest in, the property.

Advertisement