Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning in A&A

Options
  • 11-07-2016 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭

Having PMed the relevant Mod and not received a satisfactory answer, I wish to dispute a formal warning in the School Patronage thread;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100288841&postcount=3855

I feel the warning was both unwarranted and unfair, for two reasons.

Firstly, the post the warning was issued for; I was warned that "This post adds nothing to this debate or any other." The particular post was a reply to questions asked directly by another posters. Whilst I agree that particular portion of my post wasn't actually adding anything to the overall discussion, simply answering questions that were put to me, if the answer adds nothing to the discussion then neither does the question, so if anyone should be infracted for not adding to the debate it should should be the poster asking the question, not the poster answering it. Nevertheless I included in that post points which did relate to the topic in hand in an attempt to get the discussion back on point, so I believe the post as a whole, if not the paragraph quoted by the mod, did in fact add to the debate.

Secondly, the mod has decided that I was waffling (vacuously), despite the fact that my posts were all in answer to posts directed at me by two other posters, and further decided that such vacuous waffle constitutes soapboxing contrary to the charter. In the circumstances, where two posters decided to take issue not with my post, but with a single word used in my post, I think it is unfair to characterise defending my wording as either vacuous waffle or soapboxing; there would have been no deviation from the topic had other posters not pursued the issue, nor was I repeating a single viewpoint while refusing to entertain discussion on it; I tried to point out just how many different viewpoints that one word can accommodate, including those of the other posters.

I have no issue with the fact that taking a contrarian view can be irritating to certain other posters, particularly when they are contradicted, and I understand that this can cause work for Mods dealing with piqued complaints as a result. However, I think it is also unfair to sanction a poster for simply being unpopular with some of the other denizens.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hi Absolam,

On thread warnings do not come under the remit of the Dispute Resolution Forum; only cards and bans are dealt with here.

If you have attempted to discuss this with the mod by PM and are not happy, you can either PM the Cmods in Society & Culture or start a Feedback thread. Please bear in mind that the rules in Feedback are different to here, and if you want to post the content of a PM you will need the sender's permission first.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Toots wrote: »
    If you have attempted to discuss this with the mod by PM and are not happy, you can either PM the Cmods in Society & Culture or start a Feedback thread.

Actually Help Desk would be more appropriate than Feedback as this relates to a specific mod action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Thanks both.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement