Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental market in Dublin - am I missing something?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Armabelle please respect that this forum attracts renters at all levels of the market. While you clearly feel strongly, the language you used could be considered upsetting and provocative by some users, not everyone is in your position. Accordingly I have deleted your most recent post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fawdalong

Slightly off topic, but with that amount of money available to you, would you consider buying instead?

Yes that is what my dad said to me... No, I have a RIP which I may move into in the future, or may sell. I don't want to sign up to a 20 or 30 year mortgage at this point of my life. Happier just to rent for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

syklops wrote: »
    Im paying 1300 for a 2 bed apartment in Dublin 18. Its tiny and miles from anywhere and we can just about afford it at the moment. I honestly think you will be looking for a while before you find somewhere decent in D2/4/6.

A couple I know snagged a fairly nice one bed in D4 (pretty small but not a dump) for €1200 sometime in the last 8 months. (8 months ago they were living in Bray I know for definite, I'm not sure exactly when they moved but probably sometime in 2016) They acknowledge that they were very, very lucky but it shows me that it's no harm for anyone to keep searching and searching in the area they want to live. The couple are both trainee accountants so they're not on huge money right now but maybe the landlord thought ahead to when they'll have a very healthy joint income which is not very far down the line really. I've seen lots of strokes of luck down the years in regards to accommodation.

Ok so fingers crossed for me, looks like I have somewhere. I will post all details of my experience once all signed sealed and delivered - don't want to tempt fate right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

What about Christchurch/east side of D8?

You should easily find something at that price (otherwise I must be charging way below market rates for my apartment there!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

OP I've merged both of your threads. While there was some argument for keeping them separate, once identical posts appeared the option was merge or lock so I've merged them. Cross posting in multiple threads is not permitted.

Mod

Ok so I promised I'd report back once I was settled in.

I have ended up renting in D2 for €1500. I think that is absolutely crazy money but think I got the best I could get for that. To be honest I saw some right old holes for €1400/1450 so am glad I pushed it a little further.
    I saw one crazy place in Ranelagh which had the wardrobe in the living room. Plus it had half your kitchen in one alcove of the living room (sink etc) and the other half in the other alcove (cooker etc).

Considering some of then places I can't imagine what is out there at the 1200/1300 mark...

In terms of getting the place one of my concerns was that I had not rented before so had no landlord references. I put together a pack for the estate agent - work reference, salary slip, mortgage statements, id and cover page giving some information about myself - my job and length of service etc and detailed that I was a home owner and landlord myself.
    That all did the trick and the estate agents let me know I could have the place within half hour of receiving my "pack".

So that's it. In and happy. Not much money left over every month but happy every day going to bed in a nice safe building in a nice quiet area.

If anyone has any questions about my experiences of looking at rentals in Dublin (see my other posts) I'd be happy to answer any...

Advertisement