Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole Trader Rent Expense & Lease

Options
  • 11-07-2016 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

I wasn't sure whether to place this in Taxation or here so feel free to move if this is in the wrong place.

I'm a sole trader working from home. All of the work is online, there are no clients calling to the house etc. I'm aware that I can claim a portion of my rent as an expense. Myself and my partner live here and it is primarily our residence.

Does working from home mean that the property is considered commercial rather than residential, and would I need a different type of lease for this? I have a standard rental lease agreement.
    I'm aware that plenty of people work from home and it seems overly complicated that I might need a different type of lease for this.

I've looked online at revenue & PRTB. One of the exemptions on the PRTB website from registering is if it is used wholly or partly for the purpose of carrying out a business. I'm not sure if working from a home office qualifies as carrying out a business?

Comments

Advertisement