Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming up stream

Options
  • 11-07-2016 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi all,

After doing my first triathlon this weekend (Harbourman) I am considering doing another one but not with a sea swim. My god that is one of worse experiences of my life. What a struggle!!!!

So I was looking at a few Tri's out there and I was wondering how difficult it is to swim upstream in a river. Now I am not a good open water swimmer. The swim in Wicklow took me 25min.

I get a lot of tips of my 2 training mates but they are both really good swimmers so everything comes naturally to these guys.

I have read a few tips but just in general is Sea swim harder then river?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Well done on doing the Wicklow Tri sea swim. The more you swim in OW (and race in OW), the better prepared you'll be for swimming and racing in OW. If you have two good swimmers to train with, continue doing so, observe and ask what works for them. Practice makes perfect.
    Bertje14 wrote: »
    in general is Sea swim harder then river?

Cheers

There's no "in general" for OW swimming- conditions on the day are what its all about. A flat calm sea can be easier to swim than a strong river flow. The more conditions you have swam in, the better prepared you'll be for varied conditions. That goes for everyone no matter what their level of experience.

To answer your specific question regarding upstream swimming- its tough to swim upstream, depending on the flow. A strong swimmer with a powerful stroke will prosper against an upstream current.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Bertje14 wrote:
    After doing my first triathlon this weekend (Harbourman) I am considering doing another one but not with a sea swim. My god that is one of worse experiences of my life. What a struggle!!!!

Hi.
    There is an Olympic in Galway city next sat. Swim is in the corrib with most being downstream. May suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

I can hold a strong stroke for about 100m then I have to take rest. Would I actually go backwards then?

Might sound a like a silly question but I have no experience in river swims?

Thanks for the invite but only just did my first sprint. Don't think I would be up for Olympic level yet!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if you are needing a break after 100m you are going to hard for the 100m, back it off a bit to where you can keep going.

and don't worry, none of these races are put in areas where you are swimming against a really strong flow. but if you just sit there in the water you will go down stream.

i think it's fair to say though that if you cannot swim 375m, (half of a sprint distance and likely the upstream portion)without a break then that is something you need to address in the pool before you do any more ow swims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

male sure you swim close to the river bank when agaisnt the current
    ( less of a current)
    aslo to be honest most of the time you can take a ret in river swim at the bank to catch your breath.
    but very simply you will have to swim in a river with one of your swim budies and see for yourself .
    and also rember if you struggle too much its would be better if you wait a bit.
    btw which race do you have in mind most tris have more downstreem than upstreem for the sprint )
    keep practising and enjoy.
    Hi all,

So I was looking at a few Tri's out there and I was wondering how difficult it is to swim upstream in a river. Now I am not a good open water swimmer. The swim in Wicklow took me 25min.

I get a lot of tips of my 2 training mates but they are both really good swimmers so everything comes naturally to these guys.

I have read a few tips but just in general is Sea swim harder then river?

Cheers

peter kern wrote: »
    male sure you swim close to the river bank when agaisnt the current
    ( less of a current)
    aslo to be honest most of the time you can take a ret in river swim at the bank to catch your breath.
    but very simply you will have to swim in a river with one of your swim budies and see for yourself .
    and also rember if you struggle too much its would be better if you wait a bit.
    btw which race do you have in mind most tris have more downstreem than upstreem for the sprint )
    keep practising and enjoy.

Hi Peter

The Dublin City one end of August.

Swimming course not up yet

Bert

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Hi Peter

The Dublin City one end of August.

Swimming course not up yet

Bert

Dublin city super sprint has a slightly shortened swim leg than a normal sprint so that should help, as far as I remember it's about 200m up stream then 300 down and 50 back up or something to that approximation. Calm river in general at that point. A bit of practice in open water and endurance work in the pool and you will make it I'm sure

Edit: I see its a full sprint now not a super sprint like other years. The course for the swim is probably similar format though as its in the same location. So probably 300 up 400 down and 50 back up. Still a calm enough river most of the time

Dublin city super sprint has a slightly shortened swim leg than a normal sprint so that should help, as far as I remember it's about 200m up stream then 300 down and 50 back up or something to that approximation. Calm river in general at that point. A bit of practice in open water and endurance work in the pool and you will make it I'm sure

Edit: I see its a full sprint now not a super sprint like other years. The course for the swim is probably similar format though as its in the same location. So probably 300 up 400 down and 50 back up. Still a calm enough river most of the time

Does anybody know a river you can practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

There are a list of ow swimming sites here - http://outdoorswimming.ie/index.html

One thing to bear in mind is that you'll be less buoyant in freshwater than salt water - for novices this can be an issue.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for the link and the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

. Still a calm enough river most of the time

Dont they get the ESB to control it so the flow is minimised? In my experience over 4 attempts it isnt a strong current. That said I think you are always better to try to keep moving if at all possible, restarting burns lots of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

The dam releases wouldn't affect the liffey that far down really, not unless they were releasing a huge amount of water, would need to be at flood levels and weeks of water built up in the lake in Leixlip. And even then at that time of year they would usually be holding some water back for the Liffey descent in September. It's sort of a dead spot, not tidal because it's above a small weir and not hugely affected by the dam releases because of the distance between them. Generally calm enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pat 36059

Hi ,Well done on completing the Harbourman tri, I am not the greatest at open water either and have only done 4 open water events , I have swam upstream in Swim Athy, ( Bit of a struggle ). up stream is tough against the current. To overcome both anxiety and improve swimming will take lots of practice. I needed to start swimming 25m x 40 lengths continually for at least twice a week for about 2 months.My times still are not great ,but improving.Open water swimming is about slowing down and continually swimming to make progress, The wetsuit has buoyancy ,but thats it, You still have to pull yourself through the 750 metres. I joined a Tri club and tag along with there swims.Get out often and don't worry about times.

cheers Pat thanks for the tips.

I am doing a lot of pool swimming. normally 3 times a week. I think I might need some lessons as my technique is just rubbish. I get tips from one of the lads but I find it hard to put them into practice and fall back to my old (bad) habits.

I am happy you mention the anxiety as the more I read the replies here I think that is what really got me. I got in and I went into a panic and forgot everything I was suppose to do. Just flapped around like a dog for the first 100 meters before I got my act together. I think the damage was done by then I just struggled through. I am not really that pushed on times anyway.

thanks again.

Yep, If you can find a club to join, Clubs have people of all abilities ,and too be honest I'm no great addition to the club, But they have been great for me, We get out once a week in Arklow, For a short sea swim. When you get in the open water to train its not like going to the pool and lets do 10/20/40 lengths. Its get in , settle down , Get used to the cold,the swell, currents and waves.
    Take a few strokes, Access and off again, Stay in for 1/2 hour doing this and you ll improve. Open water is very unnerving for a hell of a lot of swimmers, Me included.
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

+1 on get open water experience in club.

Our club have normally three groups who do

1500m to 2km depending on conditions

750m to 1k

or beginners who do 200m and repeat if they want or are able to.

This is done over six weeks, then join in with rest.

For all of us, it is about aclimatisation to cold, dark, salt, waves, tight wetsuit, close proximity to another swimmer.

Current not too bad in most river swim, you would move backwards but not too fast, and great going down river.

kal7 wrote: »
    +1 on get open water experience in club.

Our club have normally three groups who do

1500m to 2km depending on conditions

750m to 1k

or beginners who do 200m and repeat if they want or are able to.

This is done over six weeks, then join in with rest.

For all of us, it is about aclimatisation to cold, dark, salt, waves, tight wetsuit, close proximity to another swimmer.

Current not too bad in most river swim, you would move backwards but not too fast, and great going down river.

Looks like I should be joining a club. Always a bit reluctant in doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Bertje14 wrote:

Hi Bertje, first of all congratulations on completing the race!
    I'm not the strongest swimmer myself but have to say the Harbourman was one of the calmest and most pleasant swims I've ever done
    Get out as much as you can, even if for a short swim at the beginning. OW is completely different to pool swimming so practice it every chance you get. If you have a friend(s) to keep you accountable even better
    DCT has a nice swim, the upstream part is not long so very doable, go for it!

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    Hi Bertje, first of all congratulations on completing the race!
    I'm not the strongest swimmer myself but have to say the Harbourman was one of the calmest and most pleasant swims I've ever done
    Get out as much as you can, even if for a short swim at the beginning. OW is completely different to pool swimming so practice it every chance you get. If you have a friend(s) to keep you accountable even better
    DCT has a nice swim, the upstream part is not long so very doable, go for it!

Thanks Hani. Jesus if that was calm I don't want to know about rough and choppy ðŸ˜႒.

Going out to Bray Sunday. Try to get as much as I know. Signed up for a few Duathlons. More in my comfort zone.

• Advertisement

Naylors Cove under Bray head, I think Greystones beach may be a better swim location than Bray beach

I would agree Pat. I like the North Beach in Greystones but Bray is just easier to get too.

Advertisement