Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick 1 year old girl with suspected UTI

Options
  • 11-07-2016 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

Hi, not sure if this is the correct forum for this, I am just looking for any advice on this...
    Our 1 year old girl (almost 2 now) has been sick with fever symptoms for a week now, she was admitted into our local hospital last Friday. They origanaly thought that she had a UTI (Urinary Track Infection) and started her on antibiotics for that, they told us that after a day or so we should start seeing a big improvement in her.
    But her symptoms never improved, she is still getting high temperatures and really looks very sick still. The nurses and her doctor are starting to get a bit concerned about her now and they have admitted that they are not really sure why she is not getting better, they have tried changing antibiotics but so far nothing has worked for her. They are doing further blood tests and scans on her, they have had surgeons check for possibility of appendicitis but ruled that out, and they mentioned a possibility of something called Kawasaki disease, but said that its probably unlikely she has that.

I guess im just wondering should I start asking them if she should be moved to Dublin, where there might be more experts to look into this? or just let them get on with there job? I dont want to have any regrets if she deteriorates and wonder if I should have asked more questions ect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is a known phenomenon with patients where the patient once admitted to a hospitals, places their trust fully and completely into the hospital staff. And then fails to ask questions, raise concerns or ask for more information. And it's known that patients and families who do engage with the staff, ask questions and raise concerns, have better outcomes than those that sit back and let the staff get on with it.

So don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't hold back for fear of "being a nuisance". The care team are human, they will make mistakes, they will overlook things. If a doctor has come in and spoken to you and you can't remember what he/she said, or you don't really understand, ask them for more information, ask the nurses to explain the doctor's orders, etc etc.

In terms of asking if she should be moved to Dublin, there's no harm in asking. It's a valid concern, a valid thing to ask for. Worth noting that there are risks in transferring the care to another team because the new team need time to get up to speed and understand the case. But if you feel that the current treatment is going around in circles or not being treated urgently enough, then by all means suggest it. Don't think you're being annoying or that the staff will treat your daughter any differently - they want the best for your daughter, just like you do. And they know you're asking questions because you want the best for her. You're on the same side.

I hope this all works out the best for your family and your daughter makes a swift recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

seamus wrote: »
    There is a known phenomenon with patients where the patient once admitted to a hospitals, places their trust fully and completely into the hospital staff. And then fails to ask questions, raise concerns or ask for more information. And it's known that patients and families who do engage with the staff, ask questions and raise concerns, have better outcomes than those that sit back and let the staff get on with it.

So don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't hold back for fear of "being a nuisance". The care team are human, they will make mistakes, they will overlook things. If a doctor has come in and spoken to you and you can't remember what he/she said, or you don't really understand, ask them for more information, ask the nurses to explain the doctor's orders, etc etc.

In terms of asking if she should be moved to Dublin, there's no harm in asking. It's a valid concern, a valid thing to ask for. Worth noting that there are risks in transferring the care to another team because the new team need time to get up to speed and understand the case. But if you feel that the current treatment is going around in circles or not being treated urgently enough, then by all means suggest it. Don't think you're being annoying or that the staff will treat your daughter any differently - they want the best for your daughter, just like you do. And they know you're asking questions because you want the best for her. You're on the same side.

I hope this all works out the best for your family and your daughter makes a swift recovery.

Thanks for the advice Seamus, I guess a lot of people tend to just think that they are the experts and that we should not really be questioning the experts, but like you said everyone is human and mistakes can be made.

Actually just since I wrote the last post, my wife has just rang me and told me that they are actually going to transfer her to Dublin now anyway. They told her they have done all the tests they really can on her up here, they said they think its a bad infection and just taking a lot longer to recover than normal, but will send her down to Dublin to do further tests incase there is something more serious underlying.

Advertisement