Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educate Together Ethos

Options
  • 11-07-2016 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi! Just wondering if anyone could help me answer the question "How can you contribute to out Ethos" for an Educate Together school. I don't have any E.T.N.S. in my town, and as such don't know anything about them. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Hi! Just wondering if anyone could help me answer the question "How can you contribute to out Ethos" for an Educate Together school. I don't have any E.T.N.S. in my town, and as such don't know anything about them. Thanks in advance!

ring up the school you are applying to and tell them you are not sure and discuss it with them

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

ring up the school you are applying to and tell them you are not sure and discuss it with them

I expect if you do this, they will drop you from the list of likely candidates!!!
    Why not check out Educate Together's website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Exiled1 wrote: »
    I expect if you do this, they will drop you from the list of likely candidates!!!
    Why not check out Educate Together's website?

what being honest would get you dropped, yes you can read the website but this whole ethos thing is airy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

what being honest would get you dropped, yes you can read the website but this whole ethos thing is airy

I agree, but you gotta play the game!

Do some research on when why it was founded then see if you fit into that raison detre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

No offence but this kind of question is unacceptable....look at the various ET websites...search boards. If you don't find the answer please do not ring the school .....honestly ppl come on here complaining about not getting jobs.......no common sense

janes1234 wrote: »
    No offence but this kind of question is unacceptable....look at the various ET websites...search boards. If you don't find the answer please do not ring the school .....honestly ppl come on here complaining about not getting jobs.......no common sense

BY THE ALMIGHTY POWER OF THE INTERNET<
    AND THE POWER INVESTED IN ME BY THOSE WHO SHALL BE UNMENTIONABLE (Cmods!)
    I HERBY DECLARE THIS QUESTION>>>

<<<<ACCEPTABLE>>>>

SIGNED: THE MODORATOR...

Please do not respond to this message on thread
    consider that a warning.. backseating yadda yadda etc

So does anyone actually know what the ET folk stand for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    BY THE ALMIGHTY POWER OF THE INTERNET<
    AND THE POWER INVESTED IN ME BY THOSE WHO SHALL BE UNMENTIONABLE (Cmods!)
    I HERBY DECLARE THIS QUESTION>>>

<<<<ACCEPTABLE>>>>

SIGNED: THE MODORATOR...

Please do not respond to this message on thread
    consider that a warning.. backseating yadda yadda etc

?!!!!??????

janes1234 wrote: »
    ?!!!!??????

Ya you can't be tellin folk what's a good and bad question. It's back seat modding. That be the mods job.

Ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It probably just means you may be expected to proselytize somewhat. As in, not just sending your kid to the school because it's close to you or you can't get in anywhere else, but to be on board with the general principle of ET, which is fair enough, I guess.

Talking at length about atheism to all and sundry will probably be enough for the above.

Probably you may be expected also to contribute in some way to parent activities or fundraising, IIRC, but that's the case for many of the smaller national schools these days anyway.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I agree, but you gotta play the game!

I might reject you for saying that. Is that ET ethos?

I might reject you for saying that. Is that ET ethos?

Ya I'm sure every single teacher in Ireland has done it (play the ethos game that is).

Interviewer: So what do you think of our school?
    Teacher: Ya it's great ya, totally me like.
    Interviewer: Cool, so one last thing, do you agree to abide by the ethos of the school if you work here?
    Teacher: Naa just changed me mind just there now, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Would an Educate Together school have a problem with a member of the travelling community enrolling,or a person of extraction other than white middleclass Irish. Obviously the parties concerned would be non religious.

ethical wrote: »
    Would an Educate Together school have a problem with a member of the travelling community enrolling,or a person of extraction other than white middleclass Irish. Obviously the parties concerned would be non religious.

Nope! To my knowledge ET just goes by a first come-first served waiting list... No catchment, sibling, child of former student/staff, religious policies preclude.
    That's what I thought so open to correction.

Word of warning.. I heard about a parent who got rightly caught when the eldest got a place and they assumed the sister would automatically get in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Each school has its own policy, some do use the sibling rule.
    To the OP, sending a generic cv and application is never a good idea. Google some ET schools and see what they are about.

ethical wrote: »

Generally travellers do not 'apply to' 'turn up to' ET schools because they want a Catholic school for their children.
    It would be very surprising if they enrolled in ET. More of the hidden agenda /snobbery why parents choose ET schools, no travellers and fewer LS children........bit like the gaelscoileanna without the Gaeilge....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

, no travellers and fewer LS children........bit like the gaelscoileanna without the Gaeilge....
    Not sure where you live and if you are actually familiar with any byond whatever rubbish David McWillaims spouts,but I am pleased to inform you that most Gaelscoileanna have a mix of all ability and backgrounds. In our school we have travelllers and plenty children with SEN. (I work in SEN, we have 3.1 L/support teachers and 1.4 resource teachers and we are all kept very busy.

Not sure where you live and if you are actually familiar with any byond whatever rubbish David McWillaims spouts,but I am pleased to inform you that most Gaelscoileanna have a mix of all ability and backgrounds. In our school we have travelllers and plenty children with SEN. (I work in SEN, we have 3.1 L/support teachers and 1.4 resource teachers and we are all kept very busy.

I live near a very large Gaelscoil which my children attended, I am involved in the teaching profession, I generally detest the stuff spouted by McWilliams and I like factual based discussion. Don't be touchy because I hit a nerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I live near a very large Gaelscoil which my children attended, I am involved in the teaching profession, I generally detest the stuff spouted by McWilliams and I like factual based discussion. Don't be touchy because I hit a nerve.

Touchy? I think you may need to choose a better word. The OP just told you about the reality of her school in a clear and non aggressive manner.

Just because your children attend a school doesn't tell you anything about what goes on in the school for the other 99% of children, even if you are involved in the teaching profession.

• Advertisement
Advertisement