Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keeping our dog away from the outside wall

• 11-07-2016 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We are trying to keep the dog away from the outside walls of the house. They are being painted this week so have to put the foot down now! He sits against the wall all the time and has a habit of rubbing along them also. Needless to say he has gotten them very dirty. Being a St. Bernard there is alot of him to rub against it.

So I am wondering of the best way of getting him to stay away from the walls. Would one of them dog fence systems work? Has anyone here had a similar problem and if so how did you sort it?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Does he spend a lot of time out there by himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

There isnt any way to keep him away from your walls unless your cover them with something that he will in turn lean against.

No the radio fence collars wouldn't work, they are for boundaries on land to keep a dog in not to keep an animal away form the house plus they are unnecessary and cruel.

is he an outdoor dog? how often is he cleaned / groomed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Seal the paint and wash it down every now and again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

muddypaws wrote: »
    Does he spend a lot of time out there by himself?

Well thats generally where he likes to sit himself during the day and keep an eye on everything. I guess he is usually by himself.
    cocker5 wrote: »
    There isnt any way to keep him away from your walls unless your cover them with something that he will in turn lean against.

No the radio fence collars wouldn't work, they are for boundaries on land to keep a dog in not to keep an animal away form the house plus they are unnecessary and cruel.

is he an outdoor dog? how often is he cleaned / groomed?

He is an outdoor dog and it would be very difficult to keep him clean all the time given the freedom he has.

tk123 wrote: »
    Seal the paint and wash it down every now and again?

Yes but this is what I was trying to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Put flower pots/troughs all along the wall? Is he leaning against a specific wall to give himself somewhere sunny/out of the wind? Does he have anything else he could shelter in/behind?

Thoie wrote: »
    Put flower pots/troughs all along the wall? Is he leaning against a specific wall to give himself somewhere sunny/out of the wind? Does he have anything else he could shelter in/behind?

Flowers and shrubs will equally mark the wall - from my experience

Thoie wrote: »

Thanks I like the flower pots idea as there is actually just a couple of specific places that get really bad. There are loads of places for him to shelter but he likes to move around between them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Easy way to solve it. Don't leave him out there by himself all day, let him be a part of your family, and live inside, he'll be much happier as well.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Easy way to solve it. Don't leave him out there by himself all day, let him be a part of your family, and live inside, he'll be much happier as well.

My dog is part of the family, is happy and loves it outside.

• Advertisement

a dog alone outside 24/7 is not part of the family (a garden ornament some might say :rolleyes:) and not happy...

unless the OP spends at least 10 hours a day outside with the dog (which i doubt)

cocker5 wrote: »
    a dog alone outside 24/7 is not part of the family (a garden ornament some might say :rolleyes:) and not happy...

unless the OP spends at least 10 hours a day outside with the dog (which i doubt)

It might do you no harm to get out a bit yourself. Spending the day cooked up inside the house with your family of dogs isn't exactly healthy either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

deejer wrote: »
    Thanks I like the flower pots idea as there is actually just a couple of specific places that get really bad. There are loads of places for him to shelter but he likes to move around between them all.

Don't plant anything he can scratch against - my dog likes to walk up and down and scrape himself off the hedge - especially when it's wet so he can come in soaked! :rolleyes:

deejer wrote: »
    It might do you no harm to get out a bit yourself. Spending the day cooked up inside the house with your family of dogs isn't exactly healthy either.

family of dogs? I have one dog...

tk123 wrote: »
    Don't plant anything he can scratch against - my dog likes to walk up and down and scrape himself off the hedge - especially when it's wet so he can come in soaked! :rolleyes:

That's the the difference this dog isnt inside.. so he can stayed soaked outside.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    A quick reminder that although it's okay to disagree with one another, it's not okay to be disrespectful, nor to take digs at each other.
    Watch how you post please.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement