Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncommon Cherry Hardwood board size needed

Options
  • 11-07-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello all,

I am trying to source an uncommon size of American Hardwood Cherry, around 19mm thick, around 30cm wide and around 45cm long. Needs to be a single board and not two or more joined together.

Looking these in volume, a few dozen at first then up to 100 or so a month.

Any ideas anyone? All advice appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

NinjaWolf wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am trying to source an uncommon size of American Hardwood Cherry, around 19mm thick, around 30cm wide and around 45cm long. Needs to be a single board and not two or more joined together.

Looking these in volume, a few dozen at first then up to 100 or so a month.

Any ideas anyone? All advice appreciated!

You need to be far more specific with your requirements. Otherwise the whole process for info becomes something akin to a trip to the dentist. Painful.

1. Rough sawn or completely finished.
    2. Air dried or kiln dried.
    3. Required moisture content
    4. Quarter sawn or radial.
    5. Stained or plain protective finish.

You get the idea,,,,,,input,input,input:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It would be unusual to see cherry in the width you need due to the sapwood, and that most certified north American timber is harvested at 80/100 years old from managed forests which encourage hight rather than girth in trees, what would be wrong with two pieces joined together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NinjaWolf

Thanks all :)

My thinking on having it one piece rather than two pieces joined is purely cosmetic. I need the grain to be consistent across the piece. If it comes to it, I could use two pieces, but it's worth trying for the perfect solution first :)

Preferably planed all around, but I could certainly take it from rough and finish it. I don't need it stained or finished in any way, and am open to the other conditions.

I appreciate it's an uncommon size, that's why I am trying to cast a wide net :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Collected some timber today and had a look at the bale of 1" cherry on sale , of the approx 100 planks left , 4 were 8-9", about 30 4-6", and the rest 6-8" wide , what may be acceptable would be to get a 6-7" plank and join a piece on both sides which would leave the focus on the grain of the centre plank, it would also be more stable than a single piece

Advertisement