Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to a rented property in Ireland

Options
  • 11-07-2016 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

This is a bit of a bizarre situation for most of you but any help would be greatly appreciated as I've never relocated or rented overseas before.

I'm a British national looking to relocate to Waterford Ireland to be with my partner. She's never rented a property before so it's a big step for her and us both as I'll be leaving home.

I was just curious as to what the criteria is for visas, passports, landlords renting to overseas tenants and stuff like that.

One thing I need to bare in mind because it's a major factor. I'm currently serving in the British army and will be bouncing from the uk to Ireland 28 weeks out of the year. Any help on how that'll affect me finding somewhere would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

JD1992 wrote: »
    This is a bit of a bizarre situation for most of you but any help would be greatly appreciated as I've never relocated or rented overseas before.

I'm a British national looking to relocate to Waterford Ireland to be with my partner. She's never rented a property before so it's a big step for her and us both as I'll be leaving home.

I was just curious as to what the criteria is for visas, passports, landlords renting to overseas tenants and stuff like that.

One thing I need to bare in mind because it's a major factor. I'm currently serving in the British army and will be bouncing from the uk to Ireland 28 weeks out of the year. Any help on how that'll affect me finding somewhere would be greatly appreciated

U.K. Is still within the European Union so no need for visa or anything. You will probably need references from your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JD1992

U.K. Is still within the European Union so no need for visa or anything. You will probably need references from your employer.[/quote]

Thank you! Do you think most landlords would mind the being away from their property a lot? Or would they just be fine as long as the money sits in their bank at the end of each month?

I'd also ask the British army if you need permission from them.

Do you think it's likely they'll say no?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would be very surprised if any country allowed it's soldiers to live in another country.

• Advertisement

I would be very surprised if any country allowed it's soldiers to live in another country.

It would seem out of the question but then again the army has a lot of people from commonwealth nations who still live in their home country when away on leave

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Be aware that your story will sound like a scam to most people - be prepared to have to provide a lot of proof

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

L1011 wrote: »
    Be aware that your story will sound like a scam to most people - be prepared to have to provide a lot of proof

Really? Sounds remarkably straightforward to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

endacl wrote: »

"I'm a soldier in a foreign army and want to rent a place full time but won't be there very often" is exactly there with "I'm working on an oilrig and want to buy this car, I'll send you lots of cash...". Its not unheard of as a setup for a bogey bank draft scam - pay by bogey draft; then pull out and ask for a refund.

I wouldn't be willing to enter in to such an arrangement without reams of proof and deposit/first month(s) paid in a manner that can't be reversed by the renter.

It would seem out of the question but then again the army has a lot of people from commonwealth nations who still live in their home country when away on leave

Well they are probably on holidays in their own country, it's probably a bit different

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    endacl wrote: »

"I'm a soldier in a foreign army and want to rent a place full time but won't be there very often" is exactly there with "I'm working on an oilrig and want to buy this car, I'll send you lots of cash...". Its not unheard of as a setup for a bogey bank draft scam - pay by bogey draft; then pull out and ask for a refund.

I wouldn't be willing to enter in to such an arrangement without reams of proof and deposit/first month(s) paid in a manner that can't be reversed by the renter.

See this is the kind of opinion I was after from possibly a prospective landlord. I've got plenty of proof I can provide and the reality is I'll be renting it with my other half who is an Irish citizen but obviously I can understand what you're saying. I'm quite new to renting privately as I've only ever had properties as a supported housing tenant. But yeah you're actually being a big help so thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

See this is the kind of opinion I was after from possibly a prospective landlord. I've got plenty of proof I can provide and the reality is I'll be renting it with my other half who is an Irish citizen but obviously I can understand what you're saying. I'm quite new to renting privately as I've only ever had properties as a supported housing tenant. But yeah you're actually being a big help so thank you!
    /?
    Is your partner going to be living there while you are on duty? If yes then, subject to the landlord being happy with your finances, I doubt that there would be any significant problem. If your proposal is that you are going to leave the property empty for significant periods then, although this might be counterintuitive, I doubt that you'll find it easier to rent. Landlords like tenants in situ to safeguard the property, it might also be a condition of buildings insurance. Fire and flood damage will increase exponentially if a property is only periodically occupied.

Marcusm wrote: »
    /?
    Is your partner going to be living there while you are on duty? If yes then, subject to the landlord being happy with your finances, I doubt that there would be any significant problem. If your proposal is that you are going to leave the property empty for significant periods then, although this might be counterintuitive, I doubt that you'll find it easier to rent. Landlords like tenants in situ to safeguard the property, it might also be a condition of buildings insurance. Fire and flood damage will increase exponentially if a property is only periodically occupied.

Yeah that's pretty much what the plan is she'll be living their and working while I'm away back in the uk or wherever I'm sent to. I can see what you mean as if the property is unoccupied it is left in a vulnerable state I guess but yeah my other half will be there 24/7 apart from when she's working or with family! Thank you for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Yeah that's pretty much what the plan is she'll be living their and working while I'm away back in the uk or wherever I'm sent to. I can see what you mean as if the property is unoccupied it is left in a vulnerable state I guess but yeah my other half will be there 24/7 apart from when she's working or with family! Thank you for the help!

Can't see the problem so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

. I'm quite new to renting privately as I've only ever had properties as a supported housing tenant. But yeah you're actually being a big help so thank you!

Don't mention that bit to prospective LL's either. Not a good sound.

TBH, I would focus applications on your partner, with you as the boyfriend who will be visiting from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Would it make more sense then for her to be the tenant, sign the lease, pay the deposit and rent and have all interactions with landlord and / or letting agency etc.

This might effectively make you a guest or licencee of your fiancée but it might simplify the renting situation.

There may be some clause in the lease about notifying the landlord / letting agency about other occupants.

Advertisement