Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect from doctor?

Options
  • 11-07-2016 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

We decided to go to the doc to see about getting tested. TTC about 7 months and periods are v irregular, plus have been coming up neg with all opk's.

He just referred us to the merrion, but now that I'm looking at the merrion website I see the tests are very expensive and you don't actually need a referral! I see that a lot of women get their initial blood test done at the doctors. Neither me or the hub have been to a doctor in years so am a bit unsure what to expect from them. Should I be ringing them back up to get the test done in-house at the doctors? He does have a nurse on staff. Can anyone give me a guideline on how much blood tests done at the GP cost compared to a fertility clinic?

Thanks for any advice!!

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You should be able to get some of the preliminary blood tests done in the GP but usually when you get referred the clinic will want them redone again, especially if there are some months of a lapse between your results and the consultation.

When we got our referral, the clinic sent us a letter listing which blood tests needed to be done prior to the consult, so we just brought the letter to the GP's nurse to do them giving sufficient time for the results to be ready on the day of our consultation.

Why not ring up the clinic you are being referred to and see if they do similar? I'm thinking that if you go to the GP now, you might pay to get some that you need done but the clinic might ask for other ones so you might have a repeat visit and expense of that to complete them.

My GP was €60 a go, but if it was just bloods taken by the nurse it was €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

7mths wouldn't be considered a long time to be trying at all. Although I'm sure it feels like a lifetime. The GP should be your first port of call at this early stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

7mths wouldn't be considered a long time to be trying at all. Although I'm sure it feels like a lifetime. The GP should be your first port of call at this early stage.

Depends on your age. I think we were told once you were over 35 that after 6 months you should look into it and a year if you were under 35.

Advertisement