Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Substitution of .22

• 11-07-2016 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just a quick question I'm wondering can anyone clear up. I currently have a .22 Marlin that I've had for years. A friend showed me the attached on facebook from a local gun shop and I'm just wondering is it possible to do a straight substitution. My gut feeling is no but was just curious. I'm not changing it but just curios.

Thanks,

Blindside

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hi guys,

Just a quick question I'm wondering can anyone clear up. I currently have a .22 Marlin that I've had for years. A friend showed me the attached on facebook from a local gun shop and I'm just wondering is it possible to do a straight substitution. My gut feeling is no but was just curious. I'm not changing it but just curios.

Thanks,

Blindside

Seeing as nobody else is answering you I'll throw in my two cents.

Nobody here can answer your question 100%. The reason is that if a Super thinks that a gun 'resembles' an automatic firearm (looks military), then they can class the gun as restricted. I very much doubt that you would be allowed to do a substitution in that case. If the Super thinks it's unrestricted (doesn't resemble an automatic firearm), then you should be allowed to substitute it. It all depends on the Supers own personal opinion.

Another point of note is that the magazines look like they hold more than 10 rounds. If this is the case, then the gun is most certainly restricted. Anything that holds more than 10 rounds is restricted and isn't open for discussion. If the mags hold more than 10 rounds, then you won't be allowed to substitute it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Seeing as nobody else is answering you I'll throw in my two cents.

Nobody here can answer your question 100%. The reason is that if a Super thinks that a gun 'resembles' an automatic firearm (looks military), then they can class the gun as restricted. I very much doubt that you would be allowed to do a substitution in that case. If the Super thinks it's unrestricted (doesn't resemble an automatic firearm), then you should be allowed to substitute it. It all depends on the Supers own personal opinion.

Another point of note is that the magazines look like they hold more than 10 rounds. If this is the case, then the gun is most certainly restricted. Anything that holds more than 10 rounds is restricted and isn't open for discussion. If the mags hold more than 10 rounds, then you won't be allowed to substitute it.

Thanks for that, I thought it wouldn't be straight forward but was just wondering, I like the look of it but I imagine I like it for the reasons the super would hate it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

A straight forward substitution here is you fill in the FCA1 form and put in the new / old details of the guns and see if it passes muster.

This isn't like the UK where you can get a 'slot' for a .22 and then have a dealer sell you the gun, the guards must approve the specific gun before you get the licence.

I did it a while back and had no problem, didn't take that long either, but the rifle I was getting came nowhere near to failing the 'Idon'tlikethelookofthat' test.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ezra_ wrote: »
    ....... but the rifle I was getting came nowhere near to failing the 'Idon'tlikethelookofthat' test.
    That would be secondary. As Battlecorp said above the magazine is the issue. If it holds more than 10, regardless of how many you put in it then it's restricted and legally you (as the applicant) must know this and apply appropriately.

However if they are 10 shots mags, then you're spot on. Simply fill out the sub sections on the FCA1.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Came across this new offering from S&W. I wonder what category this would fall into with the local superintendent lol. In its defence it's only a .22lr with a 10 round mag but I bet it would be fun trying to convince your local super to sign off on it

• Advertisement

what kind of action does that have?

Here is the funny part.

If it's unrestricted then chances are 90% or more would go through without so much as a phone call to you. Why? Because the evil black guns are generally considered to be restricted, and how many Supers/FOs are going to actually check each application, then look up the details/design of the gun to see if they "approve".

Failing that, you can change the stock, etc to make it look that way. Most (if not all) of the restrictions that make a gun restricted apply to shotguns (pistol grips, etc).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

ezra_ wrote: »
    what kind of action does that have?

It's listed as a blow back semi auto action. Retails at $499.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

If he was interested in it, would it just be a matter of getting the dealer to change the mag. for a 5/10 shot one or is it what it comes with from the factory that counts ?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Kat1170 wrote: »
    If he was interested in it, would it just be a matter of getting the dealer to change the mag. for a 5/10 shot one or is it what it comes with from the factory that counts ?? :confused:

He would have to have it verified as restricted to 10 rounds or less per magazine if they come from factory as 11+. I know I had to get my semi shotgun verified as restricted to 3 or less rounds, which was an issue, because I needed to try get a pin to restrict it, which was missing when I bought the gun. The verification came in the form of a letter written on headed paper from the range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Thanks for the replies guys. Not something I am thinking of buying but was just interested

From a purely shooting point of view, i wonder at the accuracy or reliability of them. Sometimes the fancy looking ones don't work all that well.

Southern Guns in the UK do something similar I think.

.22 'semis' built on an AR15 platform. Horrifically expensive but they are pretty accurate (or so claim the people who sink a tonne of cash into them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cass wrote: »
    From a purely shooting point of view, i wonder at the accuracy or reliability of them. Sometimes the fancy looking ones don't work all that well.

Ah, I think you buy those type of guns for the craic rather than worrying about top class accuracy or reliability.

I'm not talking about top class accuracy, i'm talking about the ability to hit anything. I've seen similar rifles that struggle to maintain inch to 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. Then they are plagued with jams, misfeeds, parts breaking, etc.

The novelty/fun factor soon wears off.

Advertisement