Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Santa Fe engine trouble, looking for replacement engine

• 11-07-2016 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I have a 2006 santa fe 2.2 crdi manual, and will not start. Was driving along, then lost power high reving and just engine stopped and black smoke. I dont think engine is seized as when i try to turn it over it doesnt clank or anything but just doesnt want to fire up. Also feels like has low compression when trying to turn it over.
    Need help finding a cheap enough engine replacement. Please let me know if someone had similar issue and what they did.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are you trying to DIY this, or are you looking for a mechanic that can help you?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 petr30498

biko wrote: »
    Are you trying to DIY this, or are you looking for a mechanic that can help you?

mechanic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Spend a few bob getting the real problem diagnosed, first. The secondhand engine might be as bad as the current one , they give a fair amount of problems

Bigus wrote: »
    Spend a few bob getting the real problem diagnosed, first. The secondhand engine might be as bad as the current one , they give a fair amount of problems

is it worth it?
    some people say its not worth repairing it but buying a different engine,

i wanna know if its worth fixing,
    when i sit into car and turn key, it cranking, but just wount start, and when straight after cranking it i hear this bubbling sound.
    also it feels feels abit weird when cranking it, like low compression im not sure, not a mechanic.
    i hear the fuel pump when i turn the key so i dont think its the fuel pump. and battery is good. also there is a engine warning light comes up with the oil warning light.
    anyone have any idea would it could be, i really would appreciate if someone could help me with this issue.
    is it curable? please let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Could be the timing has slipped and the rocker arms are bent or broken
    I had a friend who's SF did that when a piece of plastic came off the t-belt cover and made it slip.
    It was repairable but if you keep cranking it may have done more damage.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I had a friend who's SF did that when a piece of plastic came off the t-belt cover and made it slip.

would it cause the engine to just stop randomly and black smoke?

CJhaughey wrote: »

i looked into this and maybe your right, im just hoping its something as simple as the timming slipped,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

petr30498 wrote:
    I have a 2006 santa fe 2.2 crdi manual, and will not start. Was driving along, then lost power high reving and just engine stopped and black smoke. I dont think engine is seized as when i try to turn it over it doesnt clank or anything but just doesnt want to fire up. Also feels like has low compression when trying to turn it over....

When you say high revving I assume you mean the engine revved out and billow ed smoke from the exhaust. YouTube 'diesel overrun'. If that's looks & sounds the same as what happened you then engine will most likely need replacement.

It actually needed a whole engine rebuild. Everything was smashed from inside. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

It actually needed a whole engine rebuild. Everything was smashed from inside. Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

petr30498 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that it might be cheaper to just walk away and buy another car rather than sink money in rebuilding engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Was looking at a very nice Santa Fe that arrived into a local scrap yard (not a car breaker) and thinking "how bad could it be?"

Lifted the bonnet and part of the engine cover was removed, the timing chain was slack, so something had gone BANG.
    Thing is, the chain looks very weak, there is a stronger (bigger) chain on my 6 year olds bicycle...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭legin500

There is no timing chain on those diesel engines. it's a belt arrangement

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

legin500 wrote: »
    There is no timing chain on those diesel engines. it's a belt arrangement

Depends on the year.06-09 was belt.2010 onwards was/is a chain as far as I remember from my Hyundai days.

Advertisement