Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitors/Placement

Options
  • 11-07-2016 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭

So after some years of mixing on 8Ω 50watt speakers I have finally decided to invest in a decent pair of active monitors. I have narrowed it down to a pair M-Audio MX8 D2 or KRK Rokit RP6 G3. They will be in the bedroom (10ft4in x 9ft9in) the corner at the door comes into the room.

I am trying to follow the 38% rule of placement. That is situating the listening position 38% of the length of the shortest wall with the tweeters pointed at ear height in an equilateral triangle (38% of 300cm = 114) . The problem is that because of the depth of the MX8's 304mm the listening position will get pushed slightly into the middle of the room which I do not have the space for and its the worst position to mix from. So for this reason I am leaning towards the RP6's with them being front ported I can get much closer to the wall and still have a fair bit of space to do my morning lunges.

Does anybody have either monitors in a similar space and can tell me how the bass response is. I produce Techno/Tech House so I need to have a decent representation of low end how is the low end on the RP6.

Here's the layout I'm thinking of for the monitors: Practical2.PNG the circles are 50% and 25% from the wall and therefor bad mixing positions. I could also do it this way: Opti1.PNG. I will be getting acoustic treatment once I know where its needed. Just trying to debate which layout to choose but thought I'd see if anyone might have some experience on here to help me decide. With either monitors the layout would be the same. On the bookshelf wall there is a radiator so that would be out for placement and the window is in the centre of the room beside the desk in first layout. The long brown thing is where I have the decks and mixer its actually black don't judge me, it is about chest height when sitting down I know that will probably cause problems with reflections. I Can't decide if layout 1 or 2 will work better. Which layout would you good people choose if it was you?

I am budgeted to about €500 so if anybody might suggest monitors I overlooked that'd be sound.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Got a listen to Adam A7x's and have to say I might just double down and get them sound is so clear and crisp in mids and highs and the bass is flat and doesn't sound boosted pretty impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

Don't get hung up on 38% or any other idealistic rule, as you're not going to be in an acoustically great room to begin with.
    Avoid the corners of the room though, and experiment. Your main aim is to get a good balance in the low end. Again, avoid corners of the room.

g

Advertisement