Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Rebel Tour of Cork Sat 10th Sep 2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

That 160 was one tough cycle. Did not have enough done but at least mostly good weather and something to train for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

A savage day on the bike. One shower of rain near the start couldn't dampen down the enthusiasm. Then the sun came out and warmed us up.
    Savage views to be had everywhere.
    Brilliant organisation yet again.
    The only negative was those clowns that decided to discard gel wrappers on the road and not put in their pockets.
    Anyway for those who have never been, here's a little taster of what's to be seen in that part of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Anyone see the Goldwing broom-wagon? Some guy got a lift back to Eccles on a Goldwing with his broken bike on his lap!

Great day out again although the rain coming over Caha put a bit of a dampener on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Savage tour in every way,some of the best scenery in the country some bit chin hard climbs and well organised bar nearly getting taken out of it by ambulance pulled in at the bottom of healy pass descent.

Started off getting soaked after leaving jacket, arm warmers and shoe covers in car - warmed up after that.

Any photos up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

shaka wrote: »
    Savage tour in every way,some of the best scenery in the country some bit chin hard climbs and well organized bar nearly getting taken out of it by ambulance pulled in at the bottom of healy pass descent
    Either you were "nearly taken out of it by a moving vehicle" or "nearly hit a pulled in vehicle" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

They/we've been poxed the last few years with the weather for the RT. Again this year, the day sandwiched between horrible weather First time it reached max numbers. Can't see it get any bigger, had to park nearly 3k out of town.
    Chapeau to the young lad running the 85k food stop. Giving constant vocal instruction for arrivals and keeping that Q moving. That Healy pass is worth the admission price alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

First time doing the Rebel Tour 85k as not enough time (or training done) to do the long one due to family commitments. Thoroughly enjoyed the day bar the heavy rain shower early on. Loved the Healy Pass descent as you can easily see if the way is clear ahead to use all of the road.
    If anyone went down a gilet size yesterday i will swop a small for a medium, asked for a medium and did not try it on until lastnight when i noticed it was a very very snug small :D

Lady in the hotel reckoned that the route / venue will be elsewhere in cork next year? I hope not as i am on for the 160, stunning route.

I hope not. Be very surprised if the route changed, it's just very good and they sold out all the places this year. When the rebel tour was in Cork City I didn't think much of it.

Change of venue would be possible, start venue could easily change to CastletownBere, don't think Kenmare would be an option as you couldn't really call it the Rebel tour if it started and finished in Kenmare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

As much as I love the current route a bit of variation doesn't do any harm. Bantry or Clonakilty would be good alternatives. There are plenty of scenic challenging routes around those two towns. We could head back to glengarriff in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

As much as I love the current route a bit of variation doesn't do any harm. Bantry or Clonakilty would be good alternatives. There are plenty of scenic challenging routes around those two towns. We could head back to glengarriff in a few years.

Down around Schull, Mizen and Baltimore is stunning too. Roads around Clon would be very busy.
    Ive some vague recollection of hearing they've one more year in Glengarrifff and they're changing it, i.e 6 in total.

As long as they keep it away from East Cork I don't mind, it's a bit Waterfordy over there! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

There are 2 other cycles along that route every year the Beara Charity Cycle which takes in the Healy Pass and also the Ring of Beara Cycle so,if it does move there are other options.

From Bantry there is a cycle to Mizen and back called the Wild Atlantic Mizen Cycle

There is also one around Clon but cant think of it now.......

Keeks wrote: »

There is also one around Clon but cant think of it now.......

http://www.cloncycle.com/

& its on the same day as the Rebel.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Star hurl

Any photos yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

They/we've been poxed the last few years with the weather for the RT.

Wasn't there this year but it sounds very like last year - generally grand but with one or two heavy showers. For the SW of Ireland in September, I certainly would't say "we've been poxed". Last Friday in Connemara, now that was poxybiggrin.png

Maybe I've misunderstood the expression "we've been poxed"? Could it mean we've been lucky/fortunate?

On the suggestions of changing the route, please don't. It's a fantastic circuit starting at the most accessible town (unless you are coming from Kerry/Limerick). If you want variety, just do some of the other sportives mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Great event as usual. Super efficient organisation with the bar code readers for registration. Lots of marshals, and guards at major junctions. Good selection of food and plenty of it. Amazing scenery. Google helpfully stitched together a few pictures I took at the top of the Healy Pass (while I was recovering).

29549314691_d18650eebf_c.jpg

The souvenir gillet is great quality, my only complaint is that it is a bit small. I think XL was the largest they had which barely fit me and there were a few people a bit more substantial than me out there. All sorts of people out on the 85k, which I think is great.

No issues with cars at all, the roads are quiet and any motorists we did meet were very patient and considerate. I feel a bit bad for the population of Glengarriff which is a small enough town hosting a huge number of cyclists. Fair play to them, I appreciate it and I'm sure all the other cyclists and organisers do too.

HivemindXX wrote: »
    The souvenir gillet is great quality, my only complaint is that it is a bit small. I think XL was the largest they had which barely fit me and there were a few people a bit more substantial than me out there. All sorts of people out on the 85k, which I think is great.

some of the more generously sized of us, managed to squeeze into the XXLs on offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

some of the more generously sized of us, managed to squeeze into the XXLs on offer!

Cool. I just need to manage early registration then. Or eat a few less pies.

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Cool. I just need to manage early registration then. Or eat a few less pies.

i was cursing my pie consumption towards the top of the Healy!

and then this kicked off

I was OK on the healy pass, my pie consumption cursing was out around allihies... Scenery made up for it.

Usually spot a few boardsie jerseys, didn't spot any this year

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

first batch of them - hopefully more on the way soon :)

http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/rebel-tour-16-photos

• Advertisement

andy69 wrote: »
    first batch of them - hopefully more on the way soon :)

http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/rebel-tour-16-photos

Didn't see healy pass or reentrisk yet

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Anyone know if any more photos are available to view ? Thank you.

There were a good few photographers, only seen a few photos. Bit slow appearing online.

Beara camera club usta be takings pics in previous years (I think). Wonder have they pit anything up?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Yea would be nice to see some more if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

ciaeim wrote: »
    Anyone know if any more photos are available to view ? Thank you.

They posted a bunch more today on FB

https://www.facebook.com/CorkSportsPartnership/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1184853771578184

Advertisement