Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibility of being made redundant

Options
  • 11-07-2016 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm in a bit of trouble with work currently. We were informed that our office is relocating. The company informed 4 employees(including myself) that there are 3 new positions available but they need to do a skills matrix to decide which 3 they wish to choose.

The company hasn't provided us with the new job role specs, or any information on the new role. Its been just over 9 weeks now since the news broke, they have it that we need to make a decision next week, but they havent provided us with anything.

My Question:
    1)Can they tell us that there are 3 positions for 4 of us? Why tell us? why not just do the skills matrix and tell us the person that is being left go? It's like they want to put us against each other, which seems very unprofessional. Is this usually how this is done?

2)If they do decide to pick 3 people, can we ask to see the way they have marked the 4 employees and determine why 3 of them were picked over the 4th?

3)They are putting us under pressure to accept something that they haven't provided. Even coming to the 4 of us individually asking if we were interested in the role or not. They still have not provided us with any details such as wages, job spec, days working. Is this normal / legal?

Overall the company announcement of the redundancy and their communication with the staff has been terrible. 9 weeks of providing us with little no no details about our future, just saying there may be a job in dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My guess is the company were hoping one of ye would come forward to look for the redundancy and so save them a job.

it would be considered good practice to give information on the new roles, perhaps they are the very same and so they think there is nothing to be explained. Have you asked for clarification on the new roles??

Yes employees should be made aware of the matrix used to make them redundant, if you appeal the decision you should see your scores, but not anyone else's as this is classed private information.

Matrices are all well and good but I've been in the room when a senior manager stands up and says "I want the cnut below the line and I don't care how you do it" in most scenarios management retain who they want, one way or another.

Advertisement