Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't smile till Christmas :(

Options
  • 11-07-2016 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

Good approach or bad approach?

Anyone go out of their way to sit on students at the start?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Gebgbegb wrote: »

Please tell me what school you're in so I can avoid it for my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

It is very important to set the scene when you meet a class for the first time but I can't and don't think I will ever 'not smile until Christmas' - kids are very funny at times, they can guess answers and they are so far from the real one, you just have to laugh. You will also hear the stories about the weekend etc. (even if you don't want to)

BTW in my opinion of subbing in various schools and from my own school days, the really strict teachers were the ones who had all the trouble because the kids were always trying to get under their skin and the teacher fell for it, hook, line and sinker. I think it is more important to show respect from the get co because that is what you will get in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I don't think "don't smile till Christmas" is a good idea. I also don't think I have ever met a teacher that actually does it.

However I do think with new classes or as a new teacher (either NQT or new to a school) that it is much easier to be strict at the start and gain control over the class and then relax to the right level, rather than start off all nice and let them run riot and then try to regain control afterwards. It it usually impossible to regain the class.

I still remember my first few days in 1st year. The teachers that were strict (and I don't mean over the top) for the first while were the ones we ended up liking the most in the end as we had a respect for them, they relaxed as necessary and we had a great relationship.
    The ones that were all nicey nice day one were ultimately taken advantage of early on by the troublesome ones and as a result never had the respect of the class and it was always then a battle on a daily basis.

I think it is important to get along with the students, let them see you are normal too, have conversations with them about their interests and let them get to know you a bit, however there still needs to be line where they know it can't be crossed.

It is really all about respect. If they respect you then 99% of the time you won't have many problems. If they think they can take advantage you have lost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

I really think you have to lay the law down at the beginning. I always start with three or four basic rules to follow. I'm talking in post primary anyway. Once the kids know there's a line the majority know to respect that. They also know and respect good teaching.

This means work can be done. It means we can teach and the students can learn. They actually want that.

As time passes there can be banter and craic. Good God if there wasn't we would all lose the will to live. However the key is that they understand that the teacher makes the call when it's time to get back down to business.

IMO this comes with experience and in my early days there were some classes I struggled to get control over but as the man says it gets easier.

However I firmly believe that a well disciplined classroom is where the best work is done irrespective of whether a more traditional or active approach is taken in respect of methodology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Please tell me what school you're in so I can avoid it for my kids.

Please tell me what school your kids go to so I can move there to sit on them in September.:pac::pac:
    I meant sit on them in the metaphorical sense btw...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

seavill wrote: »
    I don't think "don't smile till Christmas" is a good idea. I also don't think I have ever met a teacher that actually does it.

However I do think with new classes or as a new teacher (either NQT or new to a school) that it is much easier to be strict at the start and gain control over the class and then relax to the right level, rather than start off all nice and let them run riot and then try to regain control afterwards. It it usually impossible to regain the class.

I still remember my first few days in 1st year. The teachers that were strict (and I don't mean over the top) for the first while were the ones we ended up liking the most in the end as we had a respect for them, they relaxed as necessary and we had a great relationship.
    The ones that were all nicey nice day one were ultimately taken advantage of early on by the troublesome ones and as a result never had the respect of the class and it was always then a battle on a daily basis.

I think it is important to get along with the students, let them see you are normal too, have conversations with them about their interests and let them get to know you a bit, however there still needs to be line where they know it can't be crossed.

It is really all about respect. If they respect you then 99% of the time you won't have many problems. If they think they can take advantage you have lost them.

Ya this is what I meant, rather than seeking out a whipping boy to create an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Ya this is what I meant, rather than seeking out a whipping boy to create an example.

Wait until second class for that :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

and no mention of Christmas until December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Just echoing what the people above said.
    It was my first year teaching last year and was in a very challenging environment. Many of the kids had serious issues with authority and misbehaviour was rife.
    I learned quite quickly that you need the kids on your side. Getting involved in extra curriculars and getting to know the kids outside the classroom was the best thing I could've done. If you get on with them they are far less likely to start cursing at you or whatever within the classroom.
    It was very easy to see the teachers that the students didn't get on with. They had awful trouble with the students.
    Subbing or just covering a class can be difficult though because you haven't built up that relationship.
    It was probably the most valuable lesson I learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Tried it and all it did was cause me more hassle in the long run.
    I go with the don't raise your voice tactic and the class rule is "if you're in trouble or think you might be, just tell the truth and it won't be as bad as you think" method.

• Advertisement
Advertisement