Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2016, July 12, Stage 10: Escaldes-Engordany / Revel *SPOILERS*

Options
  • 11-07-2016 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭

Date: Tuesday 12th July
    Type: Medium Mountains
    Distance: 197Km
    Start/Finish: Escaldes-Engordany / Revel

Stage Map:
    391479.jpg

Stage Profile:
    391480.jpg

Finale:
    391478.jpg

The General Classification after Stage 9:
    391477.jpg
    Sam has regained the Lanterne Rouge!

Preview (© http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/):
    After the long slog up the Port d’Envalira, the summit of which is the Andorran border with France, the riders plunge down the Arige Valley and through a very different part of the Pyrenees.

The Ariège is limestone country, where most of the rest of the mountain range is much older granite. It’s a place of deep gorges and lots of caves. It’s also one of the oldest inhabited places in France.

Once out of the Ariège, the route changes direction a lot, but goes generally north towards Revel, where there is a very tough climb before the finish. It is six kilometres long and quite steep in places. It won’t be a bunch sprint today.

This could suit somebody with an adventurous spirit. A determined early attack on the Envalira could potentially gain an audacious rider a lot of time.

Chris Froome (Sky) goes into the stage in the overall race lead after the 2016 Tour’s first rest day by a slim 16-second margin over Adam Yates (Orica-BikeExchange). Although Froome will have to be wary – a GC leader always has to be wary – today may be more about the green jersey than yellow. It seems like a good day for Peter Sagan (Tinkoff) to try and reclaim the points classification lead from Mark Cavendish (Dimension Data).

There may also be an early scrap for the KOM points on offer on the Port d’Envalira – expect to see a polka-dot clad Thibaut Pinot (FDJ) in the escape.

LIVE TV:
    TG4 - 1.10pm
    Eurosport 1 - 1.00pm
    ITV4 - 2.00pm

HIGHLIGHTS:
    TG4 - 9.00pm
    Eurosport 2 - 6.00pm
    Eurosport 1 - 8.30pm
    ITV4 - 7.00pm

LE TOUR BY LEMONDE:
    Eurosport 1 - 11.30pm

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Dan to watch Froome get knackered chasing down Quintana's continuous attacks on the category three near the end and then to launch himself near the summit and gain 20 seconds on the GC contenders putting himself into yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Last climb is '6 kilometres long'?? No it's not. Not much doing tomorrow I reckon. Too much other big stuff coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Kind of disappointing that the highest point of the race (Port d’Envalira) won't have any impact on the GC.

The climb will be very exciting in terms of the battle for the polka-dot jersey though, it should be a great duel between Majka and Pinot.... pity they will have reached the summit long before TV coverage starts.... :(

There should be live coverage from the start of the stage specifically for Port d’Envalira climb, and then take a break for a few hours until the riders are near the finish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Froome to be crabbed up like this for 60km

sptdw3072_670.jpg

If he was going, 'Wheeeeeeeeeeeee......", all the the way, even I might support him :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Sagan FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

donfers wrote: »
    Dan to watch Froome get knackered chasing down Quintana's continuous attacks on the category three near the end and then to launch himself near the summit and gain 20 seconds on the GC contenders putting himself into yellow

I dont think quintana will do anything today or tomorrow except stick to froome, im going for thursday for NQ to do something to attack froome on ventoux. Today could be a breakaway day, vockler to do his usual ride like a demon only to blow up in the last 10km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

My bets for Sagan too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Steve Cummings isn't a bad bet today.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 38,477 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It looks like a day for a breakaway. Steve Cummings is the type of guy I like for this stage if he is in the breakaway. Sagan will obviously be watching for breakaways too and it looks like his type of stage.

Meintjes and Barguil would like to make up time on Yates for the White Jersey and I don't think Sky would be too concerned at losing the yellow here for a couple of days to one of them.

I think there could be a lot of action today and it should be fun to watch.

I'll go with Tony Martin for this one though. I just have a feeling he is going to take off from the start today and he is a great descender so he could open up a nice gap and he has the ability to stay out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've been without TV or even reliable internet coverage since stage 4 so only managed to catch the previous stage highlights on a late night TV package, of which I fell asleep 2k or so from the end. But can anyone tell me how Froome managed to get yellow, or what stage it happened so I can read the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Melodeon

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I've been without TV or even reliable internet coverage since stage 4 so only managed to catch the previous stage highlights on a late night TV package, of which I fell asleep 2k or so from the end. But can anyone tell me how Froome managed to get yellow, or what stage it happened so I can read the thread?

T'was Stage 8, here you go:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057619843

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Thud

is at 60kms of a descent after Envalira? I expect we'll see a few crashes today

• Registered Users Posts: 38,477 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stage 8 is where he took the lead. The Eurosport live coverage of the race would be the best place to review it by reading I think.

I'll try and get a link for you and edit it into the thread if I can find it.

Just scroll down the page a bit and you can relive the commentary that was done. This is where I go if I can't access a tv for any stage.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/tour-de-france/2016/pau-bagneres-de-luchon_mtc831094/live.shtml

So the stage has started, and as expected, there are attacks from the bunch left, right and centre (apart from the GC guys obviously).

Sagan, Nibali, Pinot, Majka are all attacking.

Such a pity there is no live TV coverage :(

Rui Costa reached the summit first and collects the Souvenir Henri Desgrange, awarded to the first rider over the highest pass of the Tour. And also 10 KOM points. None for Pinot or Majka.

Thibaut Pinot 80 points
    Rafal Majka 77
    Tom Dumoulin 50
    Rui Costa 50
    Thomas De Gendt 36
    Daniel Navarro 36

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Contador has two separate breaks in his left leg. Almost certainly ruled out for the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Burial. wrote: »
    Contador has two separate breaks in his left leg. Almost certainly ruled out for the Olympics.

Jesus, love him or hate him you have to admire him. He's one tough hombre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mikmon

Haha anyone see Cavendish's expletive laden rant there? Himself and Eisel drafting behind a car trying to get back on after a comfort break. Didnt like camera attention so shouted "What? I took a pi**! Fu**in wan*er!!" and making up and down motion with fist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

No breaks but serious injuries all the same http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-ruled-out-of-olympic-games-after-tour-de-france-crash/?utm_content=buffer412e2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Cycling news said it was a hamstring injury and will be back in 4weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dont think kreuziger will be going with him to trek!

Th chateau de legarde looks like a nice fixer upper

Less than 80km remaining, 15 rider breakaway have a ~7 minute advantage:

Mikel Landa (Sky), Gorka Izagirre (Movistar), Vincenzo Nibali (Astana), Peter Sagan (Tinkoff), Samuel Dumoulin (AG2R-La Mondiale), Damiano Caruso and Greg Van Avermaet (BMC), Edvald Boasson Hagen and Stephen Cummings (Dimension Data), Tony Gallopin (Lotto-Soudal), Rui Costa (Lampre-Merida), Sylvain Chavanel (Direct Energie), Luke Durbridge, Daryl Impey and Michael Matthews (Orica-BikeExchange).

Sagan Just took the sprint points

Peter Sagan 217 points
    Mark Cavendish 204
    Marcel Kittel 182
    Bryan Coquard 112
    Michael Matthews 94

Can we have a poll on one of the daily threads for who has the most annoying ads, eurosprt or itv4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Mikel Landa (Sky), Gorka Izagirre (Movistar), Vincenzo Nibali (Astana), Peter Sagan (Tinkoff), Samuel Dumoulin (AG2R-La Mondiale), Damiano Caruso and Greg Van Avermaet (BMC), Edvald Boasson Hagen and Stephen Cummings (Dimension Data), Tony Gallopin (Lotto-Soudal), Rui Costa (Lampre-Merida), Sylvain Chavanel (Direct Energie), Luke Durbridge, Daryl Impey and Michael Matthews (Orica-BikeExchange).

It's deja vu! We've seen many of these names in breakaways in previous stages, haven't we? Gotta love a trier. :)

mod9maple wrote: »
    It's deja vu! We've seen many of these names in breakaways in previous stages, haven't we? Gotta love a trier. :)

I think this is probably one of the most high profile breakaways I can ever recall. Normally you get a few riders that you won't know too much about, but not today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭isitraining

Front group split with less than 20k to go.

Peter Sagan (Tinkoff), Samuel Dumoulin (AG2R-La Mondiale), Greg Van Avermaet (BMC), Edvald Boasson Hagen (Dimension Data), Luke Durbridge, Daryl Impey and Michael Matthews (Orica-BikeExchange)

Advertisement