Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedal Question

Options
  • 11-07-2016 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

What and why is this gunk/crap always reappearing on the outer casing of both of my pedal spindles? It's only on the leading/forward side of the pedal shaft. Despite cleaning it always reappears after a couple of hundred kms. It's only on the pedal and not on the crank arm. Is grease/lube escaping from the inner shaft?

The whole setup in the photo is filthy but you can see the oily/greasy mess on the shaft that doesn't show anywhere else.

IMG_2509.jpg

On a similar note, do any of you service your pedals? Is it even necessary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Most likely from the chain. The chain gets wet and a small amount of oily residue gets sprayed back from the chain/chainrings and catches on the leading edge/side of the pedal spindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most likely from the chain. The chain gets wet and a small amount of oily residue gets sprayed back from the chain/chainrings and catches on the leading edge/side of the pedal spindle.

Makes sense especially as I use a wet lube. I didn't notice it on my previous pedals but the shaft on those was black which probably made it a lot less noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If your bike doesn't get used much in the rain/wet then you may be using too much lube or not wiping the chain after application.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If your bike doesn't get used much in the rain/wet then you may be using too much lube or not wiping the chain after application.
    I think I recall crosstownk saying before that he lubes each link. Overkill IMO - every 3rd link is sufficient in my experience.

It gets a fair share of wet weather and I do wipe the chain after lubing.

• Advertisement

I think I recall crosstownk saying before that he lubes each link. Overkill IMO - every 3rd link is sufficient in my experience.

I do but only a tiny drop on each link. I like to be sure that each link has it's share of lube. Maybe I need to cut down :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so, to sum this thread up - 'i find that if i don't wipe after lubing i get too much gunk on my spindle while riding'

so, to sum this thread up - 'i find that if i don't wipe after lubing i get too much gunk on my spindle while riding'
    crosstownk wrote: »
    It gets a fair share of wet weather and I do wipe the chain after lubing.

No :) But I see where you're going......

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

It's very very dark where he is going.

Luxman wrote: »
    It's very very dark where he is going.

I hope he has decent lights..............

• Advertisement
Advertisement