Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washer/dryer Electric power starts and stops

Options
  • 11-07-2016 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi - Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced or heard of this problem.

I have an Indesit Washer/dryer, purchased only 21 months ago. It has had fairly light use, as a am a one person household, with 1-2 washes a week.

Yesterday evening I put on a smallish wash. After about 20 minutes into the cycle the machine stopped, with all lights and display turned off, presumably a lack of electric power. However, a while later it turned on again, and resumed the cycle. It seemed to struggle with turning the cylinder at first, but then got going, for a short while, before cutting out again. The power came on and off a few more times. Eventually, I turned it off manually.

This evening, I turned it on again, and started the cycle from scratch. However, a minute or two in, it powered off again.

I don't believe there is any issue with the water pressure or electrical source. There's been no changes to these, and the dishwasher which uses the same sources is running fine.

Unfortunately, due to bad design of the kitchen, the plug is hidden in behind the machine, which I'm unable to pull out myself....

So, before getting in the experts, just curious if anyone has ever seen this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Hi - Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced or heard of this problem.

I have an Indesit Washer/dryer, purchased only 21 months ago. It has had fairly light use, as a am a one person household, with 1-2 washes a week.

Yesterday evening I put on a smallish wash. After about 20 minutes into the cycle the machine stopped, with all lights and display turned off, presumably a lack of electric power. However, a while later it turned on again, and resumed the cycle. It seemed to struggle with turning the cylinder at first, but then got going, for a short while, before cutting out again. The power came on and off a few more times. Eventually, I turned it off manually.

This evening, I turned it on again, and started the cycle from scratch. However, a minute or two in, it powered off again.

I don't believe there is any issue with the water pressure or electrical source. There's been no changes to these, and the dishwasher which uses the same sources is running fine.

Unfortunately, due to bad design of the kitchen, the plug is hidden in behind the machine, which I'm unable to pull out myself....

So, before getting in the experts, just curious if anyone has ever seen this?

I would imagine the problem is with the machine itself rather than the the socket. It may be an issue with the control board or other electronics so you will need to get someone out to look at it.
    Is it still under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I'm going to play devils advocate here and say you need to check the socket and plug top first. I know access is awkward but if it went in then it can come out. It wouldn't be unusual for one side of a twin socket to go faulty. You will have to take the machine out anyway to repair/replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

meercat wrote: »
    I'm going to play devils advocate here and say you need to check the socket and plug top first. I know access is awkward but if it went in then it can come out. It wouldn't be unusual for one side of a twin socket to go faulty. You will have to take the machine out anyway to repair/replace it.

I agree it is possible that the socket may be faulty and it should be the first thing to be checked. As you said the machine has to come out anyway so it can be done easily then.
    Before even taking out the machine I would be inclined to check the pump to see if it is blocked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmpyS0c3-J0

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Hi Aido and Meercat

Thank you so much for your input. It turns out the plug was to blame! But all your advice helped.

I checked the pump. While there were no issues there, I actually ended up draining all the water out of the machine through this outlet (a tedious business).

Once the water was drained, and I'd removed all the wet clothes, this made it physically possible for me to pull the machine out. I could then see the plug was not properly pushed in the socket (it must be like this since installation, 20 months ago....). So, simplest problem to solve, once I got access....

So, you've saved me the cost of an Indesit call out, and a huge amount of egg on face.:o

Advertisement