Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value quality road cycling shoes

Options
  • 11-07-2016 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am in the market for new cycling shoes (have two 7 year old pairs) and see there are some good clearance deals on chain reaction :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/clearance/shoes-cycle

I know that I want the BOA fastening system and a pair that are light with stiff carbon soles. Basically performant race shoes, I don't care about warmth in winter etc.

Can anybody recommend a pair on this list (or on good offer elsewhere) that satisfies the above criteria and is good value for money.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have 3 pairs of Diadora shoes (Speed racer carbon, pro racer carbon and Speed racer magnums) I find the fit/sizing perfect for me although the Speedracer carbons are 44.5 whereas the other two are 44's but they all fit me the same and are so comfortable. There is a huge amount of adjustability in the Proracers fastening system so a perfect fit is possible. I've a narrow foot and Diadora are slightly narrower than Shimano shoes in the same size.

If Diadora fit you then I'd highly recommend them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have 3 pairs of Diadora shoes (Speed racer carbon, pro racer carbon and Speed racer magnums) I find the fit/sizing perfect for me although the Speedracer carbons are 44.5 whereas the other two are 44's but they all fit me the same and are so comfortable. There is a huge amount of adjustability in the Proracers fastening system so a perfect fit is possible. I've a narrow foot and Diadora are slightly narrower than Shimano shoes in the same size.

If Diadora fit you then I'd highly recommend them.

I've had a pair of Speed racer carbon for 2.5 years. great shoes. They've looked better and will be upgrading soon and would go for the same again. Great shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Got a pair of Diadora MTB shoes that the sole delaminated on.
    Saying that they were cheap and otherwise pretty good.

Chain Reaction sorted me quickly with a refund and got to keep them shoes. Bit of glue... sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... and see there are some good clearance deals on chain reaction...
    The ones on clearance deals are usually very small or very large sizes and rarely the normal 44/45/46 sizes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The ones on clearance deals are usually very small or very large sizes and rarely the normal 44/45/46 sizes.

The one's i've been interested in have been on sale for months and in the right sizes (cant remember 44/45)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

3 pairs of diadora 2 road and one mtb. Oldest road shoes are 4 years old pro racer carbon something. All bought for well under 100 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Looking at

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/diadora-vortex-comp-road-shoes-2015/rp-prod140916

and

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/diadora-speed-vortex-road-shoes/rp-prod140910

and wondering if there is much difference ? On the speed it looks as if the wire lace goes further down the shoe where as on the comp it only controls the tightness of the top of the shoe. This is the only obvious difference I notice, they both are given a stiffness index of 8 (vortex pro has 12)

BTW has anybody ever had these laces break and if so are they replaceable ? They look very thin, presume they are stronger than ordinary boot or shoe laces which are always shredding.

Actually with the diadora speed

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/diadora-speed-vortex-road-shoes/rp-prod140910

some of the reviews complain about the sole being soft:

"Purchased these shoes after my Mavic shoes gave up the ghost. Not as stiff as my Mavics but definitely feel more cushioned under foot."

"The sole is so soft you might as well wear your sand shoes. There is no stiffness what so ever"

"very light, comfy, correct size. but i wana more stiff insole."

Any comments ?

Went for these in the end:

http://m.startfitness.co.uk/cycle/footwear/shoes/scott-premium-road-cycling-shoes-white-238872-4734.html

Ordered size 44 which I see they are out of now, only 42 left. Cost worked out at 132E including postage.

Did first 2 hour spin on them this morning, foot arch was uncomfortable due to pressure from sole. Took the soles out after spin and see that there are plastic triangles velcroed to the underneath of the soles at those points. Will remove the plastic next time and see how it goes, hopefully will be more comfortable. There is also material velcroed to the side of the soles which can be removed for more room.

Advertisement