Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible 2 full state pensions?

Options
  • 11-07-2016 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am in my 20s and just putting in some planning in terms of pensions. I worked for 4 years in the UK before moving to Ireland and starting work here.

I am trying to optimise my future state pensions for both the UK and Ireland. As I understand it, my wife and I can continue to pay national insurance in the UK (voluntary) as well as pay our contributory pensions that are coming out of our pensions. If I continue paying UK national insurance to make up the 35 years worth required for a full state pension, and keep paying pension contributions until retirement in Ireland, is it possible to achieve 2 full state pensions?

My calculations work out at:
    Ireland - 233.30 euro/week = 12131.60Euro/year
    UK - £155.65/week = £8093.80/year ~ 9505.48Euro/year
    COMBINED 21641.08Euro/year WHICH WOULD BE COMFORTABLE!

Interested in whether people think this is possible and perhaps you would try it yourself if you are eligible.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You would need to check with the UK,to see if you can continue to make payments even though you are not resident there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

HMRC say you can pay national insurance if you have worked for 3 years in the UK, pay any missing national insurance contributions from the previous 10 years, and lived in the UK immediately before moving to the new country you are living in.

Form I was referred to: Social Security Abroad NI38 which you can find on google

Is there anyone else here who has done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

This just doesn't seem like a good idea, one thing, I don't think you can continue to pay NI and not be a resident or work in the country.
    Secondly, you are making assumptions based on current levels, who says those level will continue or even keep up with inflation. There is a major pension problem coming in Ireland and the UK, people are living longer and state pensions were enacted at a time when people lived only for a few years after retirement, now people can live for 20+ years after retirement.

I would not be factoring in any state pension into my retirement plans, if it is still around, great. Speak to a pensions advisor and get real advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

You can't pay into two social insurance schemes simultaneously in EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭mmc272

Lumina wrote: »
    HMRC say you can pay national insurance if you have worked for 3 years in the UK, pay any missing national insurance contributions from the previous 10 years, and lived in the UK immediately before moving to the new country you are living in.

Form I was referred to: Social Security Abroad NI38 which you can find on google

Is there anyone else here who has done this?

This is absolutely spot on. My parents both recently turned pension age in the past few years. Technically, your not supposed to pay into 2 systems at once but the UK don't seem to care about that. It doesn't work the other way around. As long as you have 3 years contributions you can contribute voluntarily. Submit a payslip and/or p60 to show proof that you are working here in Ireland. This will enable you to pay the cheaper class 2 rate, around 180 per year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭leelee77

Have you followed this up Lumina?

We are in a similar situation. We worked for 8 years in the UK and have just submitted a form to the UK to see if we can pay class 2 contributions.

leelee77 wrote: »
    Have you followed this up Lumina?

We are in a similar situation. We worked for 8 years in the UK and have just submitted a form to the UK to see if we can pay class 2 contributions.

Yeah. It's legit and HMRC said its all above board. We have done our forms, got our replies about 4 months later, then paid up everything we had too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

doc11 wrote: »

UK won't be in the EU for much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭leelee77

Yeah. It's legit and HMRC said its all above board. We have done our forms, got our replies about 4 months later, then paid up everything we had too.

Great thanks for the reply. Our forms went off today!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

UK won't be in the EU for much longer

This is true though . People need to be careful that they're not throwing good money after bad.

• Advertisement

infogiver wrote: »
    This is true though . People need to be careful that they're not throwing good money after bad.

My thoughts are that Britain will do quite well after an initial chaos so bacjing this horse.

My thoughts are that Britain will do quite well after an initial chaos so bacjing this horse.

What I mean is that right now social insurance (PRSI here NI in U.K.) is transferable EU wide.
    When UK leave EU none of us know what will happen about how that going to change.
    Your planning to pay NI on a voluntary basis while paying PRSI here?

What I mean is that right now social insurance (PRSI here NI in U.K.) is transferable EU wide.
    When UK leave EU none of us know what will happen about how that going to change.
    Your planning to pay NI on a voluntary basis while paying PRSI here?

Yes. There are many British Expat forums where people in non-eu countries do this. Planning for retirement should be a priority for all of us and since my partner and i are unlikely to achieve a full Irish contributory we might as well top up with this.

Yes. There are many British Expat forums where people in non-eu countries do this. Planning for retirement should be a priority for all of us and since my partner and i are unlikely to achieve a full Irish contributory we might as well top up with this.

But your UK NI contributions can be used to satisfy the Irish state pension social insurance criteria when you reach pension age.

But your UK NI contributions can be used to satisfy the Irish state pension social insurance criteria when you reach pension age.

What is superior to combining in the Irish/UK system is the ability to have a full UK pension plus a considerable Irish pension. I am more than happy to pay into 2 social insurance schemes as long as it is legal and available to do so, which it it is at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

What is superior to combining in the Irish/UK system is the ability to have a full UK pension plus a considerable Irish pension. I am more than happy to pay into 2 social insurance schemes as long as it is legal and available to do so, which it it is at present.

At present it is not, since it is against EU Regulations and EU Law to be paying into 2 systems at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

The ex pats in non Eu countries may well be doing it as they can but at the minute those in employment within the. Eu cannot pay prsi in two Eu countries at the same time. Only one country's prsi contributions will be taken into account when calculating the irish /uk pension. At the minute i can't imagine the UK paying out on these voluntary contributions. Who knows what will happen after brexit though.

TheBeach wrote: »
    The ex pats in non Eu countries may well be doing it as they can but at the minute those in employment within the. Eu cannot pay prsi in two Eu countries at the same time. Only one country's prsi contributions will be taken into account when calculating the irish /uk pension. At the minute i can't imagine the UK paying out on these voluntary contributions. Who knows what will happen after brexit though.

This is not true. Right now in any EU state, any relevant social insurance contributions made in any other EU state as well as those made in US Canada Aus can be used to make up a Contributory pension.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/claiming_a_social_welfare_payment/social_insurance_contributions_from_abroad.html

This is not true. Right now in any EU state, any relevant social insurance contributions made in any other EU state as well as those made in US Canada Aus can be used to make up a Contributory pension.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/claiming_a_social_welfare_payment/social_insurance_contributions_from_abroad.html

Nobody is disputing that you can combine them. However, it is against the law to be contributing to 2 social security systems in the EU at the same time and subsequently doubling up on benefit claims. At best they would disregard the incorrect contributions you made and you would not get a refund for them either.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Nobody is disputing that you can combine them. However, it is against the law to be contributing to 2 social security systems in the EU at the same time and subsequently doubling up on benefit claims. At best they would disregard the incorrect contributions you made and you would not get a refund for them either.

Yes this is true. I did say it was throwing good money after bad earlier in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

And also to combine them Ireland has to have either a bi latereral agreement with that country é.g America or Australia or another Eu country . We can not combine prsi/stamps /contributions with a lot of countries é.g Malaysia etc. So that would explain the ex pats in non Eu countries buying voluntary contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The UK won't be in the eu soon.

endacl wrote: »
    The UK won't be in the eu soon.

For all we know the UK will remain part of the EU social security network as part of the Brexit deal. In fact, I would be surprised if they don't.

EU Social Security regulations and laws currently apply to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland also even though they are not in the EU.

To say you can double up because of Brexit is just incorrect and terrible advice.

For all we know the UK will remain part of the EU social security network as part of the Brexit deal. In fact, I would be surprised if they don't.

EU Social Security regulations and laws currently apply to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland also even though they are not in the EU.

To say you can double up because of Brexit is just incorrect and terrible advice.

Even if they didn't go on the list of countries outside the EU but within the continent (very unlikely), they would definitely go on the list of reciprocal arrangement countries.

Even if they didn't go on the list of countries outside the EU but within the continent (very unlikely), they would definitely go on the list of reciprocal arrangement countries.

There already is one in place covering the parts of the UK 'not covered by EU Regulations'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My grandmother gets a contributory pension from here but also worked in Australia. She is still resident there and is 90. PPS numbers are shared automatically. Every time there's a change to the pension here her Australian one gets reduced. So hence the most recent 5 euro increase she won't get. Doesn't seem fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Class two voluntary NI contributions are to be abolished from April 2018. Every one will now have to pay the more expensive class three voluntary contributions which currently cost over £700 a year and the cost is expected to rise significantly in the coming years. I am new poster so can't post a link but if you google abolition of class 2 contributions, you will get the information.

Steer55 wrote: »
    Class two voluntary NI contributions are to be abolished from April 2018. Every one will now have to pay the more expensive class three voluntary contributions which currently cost over £700 a year and the cost is expected to rise significantly in the coming years. I am new poster so can't post a link but if you google abolition of class 2 contributions, you will get the information.

That doesn't sound right so I had a look at the bilateral agreement. Are you sure it's a full 5 euro she's missing out on?

To give an example, if she spent 10 years working in Ireland and 40 years working in Australia she is essentially entitled to a full irish pension apportioned to 1/5th (10/50 years Irish).

As such, a 5 euro increase to Irish pensions would see her overall pension (ireland & Australia) increasing by 1 euro (1/5th).

I've simplified it a bit but that would be why you wouldn't be getting the full fiver increase when working under a bilateral agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Steer55 wrote: »
    Class two voluntary NI contributions are to be abolished from April 2018. Every one will now have to pay the more expensive class three voluntary contributions which currently cost over £700 a year and the cost is expected to rise significantly in the coming years.

Which still seems like a good deal; at current rates paying £13.90 a week now for a return of £159.55 per week at retirement age.
    it is against the law to be contributing to 2 social security systems in the EU at the same time and subsequently doubling up on benefit claims. At best they would disregard the incorrect contributions you made and you would not get a refund for them either.

I've done a bit of research into this subject and I cannot find any official document that prohibits paying into the Irish PRSI and the UK National Insurance simultaneously.

Can you please provide some evidence or a link to back up your claim?

I've been living and working in Ireland full-time for the past 10 years continuously, and I've been approved (without supplying false information) to make back-payments into the UK National Insurance scheme as I was living in the UK for more than 3 years before I left for the Emerald Isle.

As is the same situation with the original poster Lumina, I am planning to make voluntary class 2 contributions in order to enable me to be able to claim both an Ireland and a UK pension when I reach retirement age.

I cannot find anything that legally prohibits me from doing this.

• Advertisement

Charisteas wrote: »
    Which still seems like a good deal; at current rates paying £13.90 a week now for a return of £159.55 per week at retirement age.

I've done a bit of research into this subject and I cannot find any official document that prohibits paying into the Irish PRSI and the UK National Insurance simultaneously.

Can you please provide some evidence or a link to back up your claim?

I've been living and working in Ireland full-time for the past 10 years continuously, and I've been approved (without supplying false information) to make back-payments into the UK National Insurance scheme as I was living in the UK for more than 3 years before I left for the Emerald Isle.

As is the same situation with the original poster Lumina, I am planning to make voluntary class 2 contributions in order to enable me to be able to claim both an Ireland and a UK pension when I reach retirement age.

I cannot find anything that legally prohibits me from doing this.

Hey Charisteas,

Did you see the class 2 rates are being abolished and replaced with the more expensive class 3 rates next April? Still a good deal in the longterm if the state pension still exists by the time you retire.

Advertisement