Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are websites that only accept bank transfers dodgy ?

Options
  • 11-07-2016 10:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

I tried to buy a product from a website but found out they wanted me to pay them by bank transfer and wont accept credit cards or paypal.

Just wondering is this dodgy ? the product I was trying to buy is not illegal so I don't understand why they can't accept paypal ect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

They're not necessarily dodgy, but I'd be very cautious with them.

Reason for not accepting paypal can be because they haven't got set up with a merchant account with Paypal themselves (not always a simple matter, and subject to anti-money laundering rules like a bank account). Accepting credit cards has a cost to the business - both a monthly cost and a per transaction cost. For small businesses they can't necessarily afford that when they're starting out.

There's no comeback with a bank transfer payment afaik. On the other hand, people managed for donkey's years with paying by cash/cheque without the protections we have today with card payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless they're German, yes.

If they're German, they might be but I'd still avoid them. Germany has extremely limited credit card usage by international standards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

L1011 wrote: »
    Unless they're German, yes.

If they're German, they might be but I'd still avoid them. Germany has extremely limited credit card usage by international standards.

The website is based in poland.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Link to the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Simon2015 wrote: »
    The website is based in poland.

My info is about 8 years old, so things may have changed, but at that time bank transfer was about 80% of all online transactions in Poland, and I was told it was very common for the goods to be "delivered" to a central location where you'd go collect them. I changed job since then and didn't keep up with the market info after that.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd be very slow to pay for anything by bank transfer. If something goes wrong you've got virtually no comeback. I bought stuff from a German retailer before, and they wanted bank transfer but I said no, only PayPal. They charged me extra to pay that way, but it was well worth it because I ended up having a load of hassle with them. One phone call to PayPal had it sorted and the money fully refunded. If I'd done the bank transfer I'd have had no recourse at all.

I'm not saying all companies requiring bank transfer are dodgy but you need to be aware of the added risk paying that way. If it's money you can't afford to lose, I'd look into alternative options.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Toots wrote: »
    a German retailer before, and they wanted bank transfer but I said no, only PayPal. They charged me extra to pay that way.
    I have done this with a few german ebay sellers too, I stuck on 4% to cover their paypal fees.

I would want to see this polish website.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've only ever used a direct funds transfer with three sites: An asian sports retailer(now closed), Thomann.de and HWVS(Receivership). All were very very reputable and with a long history of Irish custom. Never would I opt for it for an obscure or untested company as you have zero comebacks.

At least with a debit card you can issue a chargeback. Be very cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

What's the website

Advertisement