Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site to Site VPN

Options
  • 11-07-2016 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I have two standard eircom Fibre routers in two separate sites. They are Huwaei HG659B routers. Is it possible to create a VPN between both these routers so I can access devices over the network, or should I look to a different set of routers? Ideally I'd like the graph of cost vs configuration to meet somewhere nicely :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

There's nothing in the manual that I could see so it doesn't look good.

I don't have one of those devices so I can't say for sure. It's possible that there is a VPN feature on the device that wasn't in the manual I looked at.

What does your own research tell you?

I have two standard eircom Fibre routers in two separate sites. They are Huwaei HG659B routers. Is it possible to create a VPN between both these routers so I can access devices over the network, or should I look to a different set of routers? Ideally I'd like the graph of cost vs configuration to meet somewhere nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Thanks for the reply liamo. I found this link but I've not had a chance to get at the routers myself yet because I'm out of the country. It looks like I'll need to buy a new pair of routers.

Thanks for the reply liamo. I found this link but I've not had a chance to get at the routers myself yet because I'm out of the country. It looks like I'll need to buy a new pair of routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They'd only act as clients anyways.

Mikrotik + Bridge the Huawei or Draytek (NB: Careful of vectoring issues)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shishkebaby

unless you can utilize IPSec over L2TP I would avoid using it over the internet (there is a tab for network security in the screenshot you posted this might have some more details)

If you do go down the route of procuring some new hardware take a look at the Cisco 800 series routers , not the most expensive SOHO routers , but you get good bang for your Buck but you need to know how to program the CLI

you can also try sonicwwall if i remember correctly the tz 150 180 & 190 have some nice features and are not that expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You can use openvpn https://openvpn.net/ to create an encrypted VPN between your sites as long as one of them has a public ip address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I would

1. Get static IPs for both sites
    2. Bridge your Eircom routers
    3. Purchase and install your own firewalls at both locations and use these to create the the VPN.

If you want a recommendation look at getting 2x Unifi USG's (Unify Security Gateway). Inexpensive, easy to manage and you can create the site to site VPN in a few clicks.

I am doing exactly what you are trying to do.

Wow thanks for all the suggestions. I have much more research to do :)

Any comments on this? I've tried OpenVPN but the configuration of it is different in a number of locations.

http://www.linksys.com/cz/support-article?articleNum=143786

Advertisement