Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Need a bit of advice on this front, I had a Zowie XL2730 in my basket but Amazon are out of stock and I'd rather not buy from 3rd party sellers on there ( except for one or two that I know and they don't want to deliver to Ireland ). SO I need to pick out another and I'm unsure of what way to go . At the start I thought " ah shur just pick out a 1440 144hz 27" in your price bracket and away you go " , but now I'm starting to think there is much more to it . Like, it should be G-sync if you are getting an Nvidia card ( Zotac 1080 ) and IPS is proabably better for 27" , and IPS is 4ms response instead of 1ms ??? , am I right in this or am I way off ? and anyone care to suggest a replacement for the one I mentioned above ?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Don't do much gaming, but looking at 27inch 1440p. On the shortlist is the AOC TN monitor. Advantages, can buy sooner. The more £100+ more expensive IPS version. Or the really fancy Dell U27.

Of course with a display port connection, I could also get 1050 or rx480 to upgrade/waste more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Any point looking at these 144hz monitors if I already have 95hz 27inch 1440p monitor, its one of those Korean models few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

KilOit wrote: »
    Any point looking at these 144hz monitors if I already have 95hz 27inch 1440p monitor, its one of those Korean models few years back

For me personally I say no as I do not notice the difference between 144Hz and 80 or 90Hz.

But some other people may say they do but for me I do not see the difference.

But saying that I do notice the difference between adaptive sync and none.(Freesync or Gsync depending on what graphics card you have).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

KilOit wrote: »

Is that the highest you could go without artifacts? My Qnix goes up to 120Hz. A better DVI-D cable might net you better results.

I don't see the need in upgrading yet. Probably won't bother until 4k/144Hz HDR becomes viable at a decent price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you can feel the difference between <100Hz and 120+Hz

go on human benchmark

I've repeated this test several times in the past but I've just done it again right now

5 tests on the dell U2711 IPS display @ 60Hz: average reaction time 242ms(You scored 242.0. You're currently in the top 93 percentile for this test!)

5 tests on the Dell Trinitron CRT @ 150Hz: average 169ms (You scored 169.0. You're currently in the top 99 percentile for this test!)

Between input lag, refresh rate, G2G time, pixel persistence or whatever else you want to measure the difference of these two monitors, I am shaving a massive amount of time off by using the CRT at a high framerate.

No brainer which one I play cs on.

Can someone else please have a look at these two monitors and tell me what the difference is , I've been looking at them for a while now and I have no idea .

Dell S2716DG

Dell S2716DG

I don't understand? They are obviously the same monitor as they have the same model number but the details are different as they are a different seller.

I don't understand? They are obviously the same monitor as they have the same model number but the details are different as they are a different seller.

Is that all it is then , am I over thinking it (as usual) ?

One only has 3 sellers and they also appear on the other with 5 other sellers and one of them has a different price on both adds .

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah it's just different sellers, happens a lot on amazon and sometimes it's easy to miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

jonski wrote: »
    Is that all it is then , am I over thinking it (as usual) ?

One only has 3 sellers and they also appear on the other with 5 other sellers and one of them has a different price on both adds .

Just an FYI those are TN rather than IPS panels. You can probably get IPS for 100 or so more. Personally I have:
    Predator XB271HU although I bought it from scan £600 including delivery about 8 months ago. And I love it :D

Shougeki wrote: »
    Just an FYI those are TN rather than IPS panels. You can probably get IPS for 100 or so more. Personally I have:
    Predator XB271HU although I bought it from scan £600 including delivery about 8 months ago. And I love it :D

Yeah, I knew that but thanks anyway . All the information I have been reading recently seems to still be a bit iffy about the IPS and consistency and suggesting that TN is still the safest bet with that particular Dell rating highly .

Yeah, I knew that but thanks anyway . All the information I have been reading recently seems to still be a bit iffy about the IPS and consistency and suggesting that TN is still the safest bet with that particular Dell rating highly .

No worries homes. TBH I thought the issues with the IPS panels were resolved with models that were being made after last Arpil-ish [or maybe it was in my head :P]. Regardless I got a great Panel. Feck all bleed, not a single dodgy pixel. Top of the pops to be honest.

Shougeki wrote: »
    No worries homes. TBH I thought the issues with the IPS panels were resolved with models that were being made after last Arpil-ish [or maybe it was in my head :P]. Regardless I got a great Panel. Feck all bleed, not a single dodgy pixel. Top of the pops to be honest.

So, ....am....... how much do you want for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

That predator monitor is nice. camelcamelcamel says it was €508 on Amazon.fr in November, might have to set up a notification in case it happens again.

So, ....am....... how much do you want for it :)

Ha. I would have to get more than I paid for it to part with it!
    That predator monitor is nice. camelcamelcamel says it was €508 on Amazon.fr in November, might have to set up a notification in case it happens again.

That is a sweet sweet price. Think mine worked out about 700€ but TBH I had one4all vouchers I exchanged [which now thankfully can be used on amazon].

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The price for this 34" UW looks great but the name of the company is throwing me off

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E5L8ON4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=196QFLL8WG1OF&coliid=IHOLZO3HDRL8H

Skerries wrote: »
    The price for this 34" UW looks great but the name of the company is throwing me off

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E5L8ON4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=196QFLL8WG1OF&coliid=IHOLZO3HDRL8H

Something dodgy there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

"Before add to basket contact us" in the dispatch tab is generally a red flag right

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

"Before add to basket contact us" in the dispatch tab is generally a red flag right
    WẸ CAN'T DlSPATCH T0 ALL ADDRẸSSES; BẸF0RE "ȦDD T0 BASKẸT"; C0NTȦCT US: ☯☯info[ᴀᴛ]ddd484.com☯☯

100% Scam.
    They're using non-standard characters to get around the automatic word-filters :pac:

• Advertisement

So...... 27" 1440 monitors . Gaming in 1440 , general browsing and stuff in 1080 , is that a thing ? cause I'm struggling a bit to see things on the screen . Having said that I am about 4 years late for that specsavers appointment that they keep reminding me of .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

So...... 27" 1440 monitors . Gaming in 1440 , general browsing and stuff in 1080 , is that a thing ? cause I'm struggling a bit to see things on the screen . Having said that I am about 4 years late for that specsavers appointment that they keep reminding me of .

You can zoom in the browser.

Definitely your eyes I would get that checked out. I have a 1440 27" monitor and everything is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

nice option for high hz 1440p ultra wide that isnt nutty money like the other two options is this samsung CF791 , pity it has no g-sync but thats probably why it isnt in the price range as the high hz asus and acer

G-sync is worth the extra cost

problem with the 1440p uw g-sync monitors from acer and asus is the quality control, from what ive read its pretty appalling considering the price

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

problem with the 1440p uw g-sync monitors from acer and asus is the quality control, from what ive read its pretty appalling considering the price

not on the 34" versions..supposed to be flawless...the 27" ones though..avoid like the plague.

I own the Acer XB271HU. highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I had the dell g sync version..colour not as good as ips but gsync is awesome.
    Next step is the Asus 34" curved and a gtx 1080..maybe 1080ti.

Advertisement