Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

finally pulled the trigger and bought the Samsung C34F791 for £748 but had a €120 one4all which I bought Amazon vouchers with

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

nice was looking at that myself, its 100hz right?

yeah 100hz, 1440p, freesync and VA with "Quantum Dot" technology :)

Could someone recommend me a good gaming monitor? At the moment I have a Alienware Alpha R2, an old PS3 and an Xbox One S. Might be replacing the Xbox One S with a Xbox One X in November.

Could someone recommend a monitor that would serve me well for all the devices please? I wouldn't want anything too large...maybe 20 to 26 inches. Really am a novice to this. This time last year I purchased a BenQ RL2455HM based on it's popularity rating on Amazon. It's only got two HDMI ports and I find its method of switching inputs agonising but hey you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was going to recommend a 1440p monitor but that 960 in the alpha r2 would struggle afaik.

Regarding the One X I am thinking about getting one myself but I will wait till after it is released as I have a 27" 144Hz 1440p monitor that hopefully will work with the X. There is mixed reports online as everyone is guessing if the X will support 1440. Obviously it will not run 144Hz but if the X supports it then I will deffo buy one close to release if not I may wait a while.

Regarding which monitor to get there is not much more to get other than a 1440p as another 1080 will just offer the same performance roughly. If it was me I would never spend money on another 1080 it would have to be 1440 as it is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I wouldn't shy away from a 1440p on account of Alpha R2 as it supports the Alienware amplifier (so there is an upgrade path down the line). I'm running one myself on a 4K TV with a 1080. I believe the 960 in the R2 is also a desktop card, so performance is not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DigBipper

CPU: INTEL® Core™ i7-7700K Quad Core 4.20 GHz 8MB Cache LGA1151 + HD Graphics *** Pro OC ***

Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3000mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX w/Heat Spreader)

Video Card: MSI GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB Video Card VR Ready (Single Card).

This is the specs from a proposed custom pc I am looking to buy. Just wondering what monitors should I be looking at. Is it a waste of the card to get only a 1080p? Budget of around €400 would be ideal I guess I could stretch that for a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

DigBipper wrote: »
    CPU: INTEL® Core™ i7-7700K Quad Core 4.20 GHz 8MB Cache LGA1151 + HD Graphics *** Pro OC ***

Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3000mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX w/Heat Spreader)

Video Card: MSI GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB Video Card VR Ready (Single Card).

This is the specs from a proposed custom pc I am looking to buy. Just wondering what monitors should I be looking at. Is it a waste of the card to get only a 1080p? Budget of around €400 would be ideal I guess I could stretch that for a better option.

Pro OC of 4.2?
    Isnt that the chip auto boosting up to that speed. If it was 5.2 that would be a pro OC.

Can you build it yourself , you will save some cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DigBipper

I wouldn't know where to begin to be honest. Most parts through price comparison are almost identical to the sites plus the 3 year warranty if something goes wrong is very appealing.

Any advice on the monitor situation? Should I be aiming at a 1440p with the graphics card?

The Pro OC is to do with overclocking, there are two types available on their website. Pro and Extreme. Pro means you can get an extra 10% out of her if ya need to.

I would go 1440p as I have an ultrawide 1440p on an R9 390 and it holds up nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I think I have buyers remorse. :( Regret not getting a 1440p display to make the most of my GPU. I currently have a 1080p 144hz monitor.

Does anyone have experience with 24" monitors in this resolution? They seem to offer a decent package with gsync and high refresh rates at a somewhat affordable price. 27" are still priced on the high side with all of the bells and whistles.

The below monitor from AOC is one that caught my eye.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-AG241QG-Monitor-Response-Speakers/dp/B01LLGLG7W/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1531212136&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=aoc+1440p+144hz&dpPl=1&dpID=51OoP1MW8fL&ref=plSrch

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I think 27inch suits 1440p better. I don't think the default DPI on a 24inch 1440p is good, text is too small.

I was afraid you would say that.

Save up and get the 27" of that monitor. I have it and it's savage. Will be upgrading to an UW at some point but i'll be sticking with AOC. Lovely IPS panel.

Save up and get the 27" of that monitor. I have it and it's savage. Will be upgrading to an UW at some point but i'll be sticking with AOC. Lovely IPS panel.

Will do. I don't want to have another bout of remorse! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Do you think the R9 380 4gb could handle 1440p pretty well?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Do you think the R9 380 4gb could handle 1440p pretty well?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't even say a 380 even handles 1080p particularly well, just alright. It's probably very similar to something like a GTX1050Ti.

1440P monitor arriving tomorrow! :)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Anyone here using a 1440p for PS4 Pro? Or know of any good 1440p monitors that accept 4K content and downscale it to 1440p like the Samsung CHG70?

Seems most will only upscale 1080p to 1440p which supposedly makes the image blurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Niallfitz1

Hi everybody. I'm thinking of getting my first monitor for my ps4. If i could get some help or ye suggestions from ye it be nice.

Any half decent Full HD monitor should do you. Just make sure it has HDMI. Loads on Amazon. Have a read of the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Niallfitz1

Any half decent Full HD monitor should do you. Just make sure it has HDMI. Loads on Amazon. Have a read of the reviews.

What about response time or input lag.

Niallfitz1 wrote: »
    What about response time or input lag.

If you go for a TN panel you will get fast response times and very little input lag. Monitors are different to tv's in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭frustrated1

Hi

Straight off, I know reasonably little about monitors, looking for advise.
    Putting a reasonable gaming PC together for son, will be playing some games like fortnite and other platform / role playing games.

He currently has this monitor but he mainly just uses when watching stuff on youtube as machine he has currently is very low spec
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-w2072a/specs/

I'm wondering if the monitor will manage reasonably well for the games he's looking at or if I'll end up with decent gaming pc but massive disappointment if monitor incapable.

Thoughts?

Its 20 inch screen so although I was trying to avoid having to invest in a monitor as the pc components add up to a fair chunk, I would consider a new monitor but would have to be low budget..
    Any advise or examples you could share would be much appreciated.

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Hi

Straight off, I know reasonably little about monitors, looking for advise.
    Putting a reasonable gaming PC together for son, will be playing some games like fortnite and other platform / role playing games.

He currently has this monitor but he mainly just uses when watching stuff on youtube as machine he has currently is very low spec
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-w2072a/specs/

I'm wondering if the monitor will manage reasonably well for the games he's looking at or if I'll end up with decent gaming pc but massive disappointment if monitor incapable.

Thoughts?

Its 20 inch screen so although I was trying to avoid having to invest in a monitor as the pc components add up to a fair chunk, I would consider a new monitor but would have to be low budget..
    Any advise or examples you could share would be much appreciated.

Tks

That monitor is "fine". It's quite a low resolution for today though. Any modern gaming system of even the lowest standard will be more than capable of running at that resolution.

Honestly, you could and probably should pick up a cheap 1080p monitor that is slightly larger for around 50 on adverts. If I was building a new PC, I would definitely be looking at 1080p at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

You'll probably get more helpful advice by stating your budget for alternatives. That screen is... fine? Like, it's not great, but it'd get the job done for fortnite and light gaming. The resolution at 1600x900 isn't great, but it's not a mile off 1080p. It's a 75Hz monitor so it probably won't ghost too much. If budget is that tight at the moment, I wouldn't be too concerned about upgrading this. You may need an adapter though. Not all graphics cards or motherboards have dvi-d or vga anymore so just bear that in mind.

Thanks for replies and your time.
    Good point on graphics card, you're right the one I will be using doesnt have VGA so will need adaptor.

I also have a 32 Inch HD Beco TV sitting idle, supports PC / VGA input and HMDI
    Would that be anyway suitable?

Back to monitors
    If I needed to buy something more suitable, I could find around 70-75 euro max but would be looking for something around 24 inches, bigger than what he has currently, open to buying used as long as in good condition.
    If you can point out any examples would be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Thanks for replies and your time.
    Good point on graphics card, you're right the one I will be using doesnt have VGA so will need adaptor.

I also have a 32 Inch HD Beco TV sitting idle, supports PC / VGA input and HMDI
    Would that be anyway suitable?

Back to monitors
    If I needed to buy something more suitable, I could find around 70-75 euro max but would be looking for something around 24 inches, bigger than what he has currently, open to buying used as long as in good condition.
    If you can point out any examples would be grateful.

The Beko is bigger, but very likely to be a 720p screen, which will look very pixelated. I'd say keep an eye on adverts.ie for secondhand monitors. Alternatively, keep an eye out later this month for deals on amazon, scan, overclockers, etc. There is a good chance that a decent upgrade will come close to your price range. i.e. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-SE2417HG-Anti-Glare-LED-backlit-Response/dp/B06Y1R7NKR/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1541600453&sr=1-8&keywords=24%2Binch%2Bmonitor&th=1

I haven't looked at reviews for that monitor btw. It just looks alright given the price.

• Advertisement

hi - Anyone able to have a quick look over that monitor that Xeroronin linked?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06Y1R7NKR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1

Looks reasonably good and free shipping currently to Ireland, so would cost €105 total.
    24 inch which is bigger than his current monitor, only 60hz but full HD 1920 x 1080

He has this monitor currently: https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-w2072a/specs/

Is it worth investing, will it be a noticeable upgrade on current?
    €100 is roughly max budget as long as its worth doing and not something that needs to be upgraded in next 1-2 years.
    Open to suggestions on alternatives or second hand monitors from adverts etc.

Advertisement