Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Lads any suggestion on a monitor? Its gonna be for digital art and sculpting.
    27" at least IPS panel and at least 1440. 60hz should be fine aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Budget usually tends to define the specs/quality you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Good point I suppose at max 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

This looks nice: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DELL-U2515H-ADZG-25-Inch-Monitor/dp/B00P6O3YYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471016118&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+1440p

If you want something with colour certification you will probably be paying a good bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Anyone use CCL? thinking of buying this from them. Any opinions on the monitor or CCL would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Hey all

I recently got a MSI Nvidia GTX1070 and am now looking to upgrade my monitor.

I've been looking at the following:

acer predator
    Approx: €750
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-screen-Monitor/dp/B017DG09WM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471197102&sr=8-1&keywords=Acer+Predator+XB271HU

ASUS MG279Q
    Approx: €530
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-MG279Q-27-inch-Monitor-Freesync/dp/B00VH3HO6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471194195&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS+MG279Q

or

BenQ XL2730Z
    Approx: €520
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-e-Sports-Response-eQualizer-Flicker-free/dp/B00SL4J1M0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471194347&sr=8-1&keywords=BenQ+XL2730Z

I know the Acer predator would be the best choice here as its IPS and has G-sync which apparently works better with Nvidia.

But would there be much noticeable difference to warrant forking up the extra €€€? Or should i just go with the ASUS or BenQ?

Also I'm going to order from amazon as they appear to be the cheapest to buy from, which I'll likely have to order to parcel motel to save on delivery costs.

So yeah, can anybody help here? PLEASE! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I have the BenQ one and its rock solid and looks good. Its TN which might put you off and its Freesync so it wont make the most of your card

The gsync monitor you linked looks good, have a look at other ones. there is a link in the first post on this thread and look for 1440p gsync and see what it goes with.

Good luck with the purchase

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

nix wrote: »
    Hey all

I recently got a MSI Nvidia GTX1070 and am now looking to upgrade my monitor.

I've been looking at the following:

acer predator
    Approx: €750
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-screen-Monitor/dp/B017DG09WM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471197102&sr=8-1&keywords=Acer+Predator+XB271HU

ASUS MG279Q
    Approx: €530
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-MG279Q-27-inch-Monitor-Freesync/dp/B00VH3HO6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471194195&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS+MG279Q

or

BenQ XL2730Z
    Approx: €520
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-e-Sports-Response-eQualizer-Flicker-free/dp/B00SL4J1M0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471194347&sr=8-1&keywords=BenQ+XL2730Z

I know the Acer predator would be the best choice here as its IPS and has G-sync which apparently works better with Nvidia.

But would there be much noticeable difference to warrant forking up the extra €€€? Or should i just go with the ASUS or BenQ?

Also I'm going to order from amazon as they appear to be the cheapest to buy from, which I'll likely have to order to parcel motel to save on delivery costs.

So yeah, can anybody help here? PLEASE! :D

Does the Asus one not have G-Sync? It list Freesync instead. For that card and money, ensure it has G-sync support.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Spear wrote: »
    Does the Asus one not have G-Sync? It list Freesync instead. For that card and money, ensure it has G-sync support.

Nah that is the Freesync model. PG models are the GSync versions, MG for Freesync.

I got a XB271HU week before last. It is beautiful. I would totally recommend.

Where did you buy it and how much did you fork out in total?

• Advertisement

Where did you buy it and how much did you fork out in total?

Scan.co.uk - £602 including shipping. Ordered late on a Thursday [while drunk], arrived Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Shougeki wrote: »
    Scan.co.uk - £602 including shipping. Ordered late on a Thursday [while drunk], arrived Tuesday

Ah, drunk ordering.
    The best kinda ordering.

I had been planning on getting ti for ages, as I had about 770 in one4all vouchers. Sold those on adverts, got the cash. Had some wine and went "**** it". Really pleased. Looks like no dead/stuck pixels. Bleed is minimal. Super happy, especially coming from a 6 year old Samsung 24" Syncmaster @ 1080p :P

Shougeki wrote: »

Cheers, they're currently out of stock :(

£602 delivered to Ireland is a good price though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

If you act quick you might get this from the clearance section of overclockers:

Acer Predator XF270HU £299

27"
    2560X1440
    IPS
    FreeSync @ 144HZ

or

Acer Predator XB271HK £329
    27"
    3840X2160
    IPS
    G-SYNC @ 60Hz

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Did anyone had experience buying those B grade items? Specially monitor? As it stands B grade is an item with cosmetically damage, which does not influence the way item works items. So I wonder how it would go with B grade monitors. Ifit a scratch on bezel orsrand, I could not give a crap, but If it's on actual screen etc...
    They got some nice deals there. Just afraid it will be a cat in a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Did anyone had experience buying those B grade items? Specially monitor? As it stands B grade is an item with cosmetically damage, which does not influence the way item works items. So I wonder how it would go with B grade monitors. Ifit a scratch on bezel orsrand, I could not give a crap, but If it's on actual screen etc...
    I wouldn't bother with the ips 1440p 144hz screens. Plenty if them have issues with bleeding, i guess that is why they get returned

Lads if ye had 400-700 euro to spend on a monitor what would ye get? Is g sync worth the premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sneak

Lads if ye had 400-700 euro to spend on a monitor what would ye get? Is g sync worth the premium?

If i was you I'd look at the Dell s2716dg. Personally I do think g-sync is worth it. The sudden fps drops from say 120 to 90 aren't noticeable and it just creates a much better experience.

Sneak wrote: »
    If i was you I'd look at the Dell s2716dg. Personally I do think g-sync is worth it. The sudden fps drops from say 120 to 90 aren't noticeable and it just creates a much better experience.

thanks, much difference between getting an ips vs a tn panel? was looking at asus and acer monitors but i see a lot of people having quality control problems with them, if i end spending big money on a monitor id be pissed it it was of shabby quality :pac:

• Advertisement

thanks, much difference between getting an ips vs a tn panel? was looking at asus and acer monitors but i see a lot of people having quality control problems with them, if i end spending big money on a monitor id be pissed it it was of shabby quality

I have the asus ips version but i got 2 dead pixels, not a massive deal but I think for the money you pay the quality should be guaranteed, but it isn't. Ips is nice but the novelty soon wears off. I'd used mine for about an hour and I honestly didn't notice the colour quality thereafter. If you were to get the acer or the asus I'd only use amazon because returning it will be a lot easier. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way. I don't plan on upgrading for a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Cheers, they're currently out of stock :(

£602 delivered to Ireland is a good price though :D

These are out of stock on pretty much the whole internet.

Could possibly order one to parcel motel UK from some of the other UK sites but I'm fairly certain its over the various weight/size limits.

I have the asus ips version but i got 2 dead pixels, not a massive deal but I think for the money you pay the quality should be guaranteed, but it isn't. Ips is nice but the novelty soon wears off. I'd used mine for about an hour and I honestly didn't notice the colour quality thereafter. If you were to get the acer or the asus I'd only use amazon because returning it will be a lot easier. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way. I don't plan on upgrading for a long time!

whats your opinion on the whole ultra wide vs 144hz? really thinking of getting a Asus swift PG279Q but if i am spending that i am tempted to save a little longer and get the x34 ultra wide 100hz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I bought a B grade case off them a few months ago, a Phanteks Evolv for a good discount. The case is perfect. The problem was that the box was damaged so they couldn't sell it as new.

twinsen wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with the ips 1440p 144hz screens. Plenty if them have issues with bleeding, i guess that is why they get returned

Not really interested in 1440p 144hz. Would be useless with my 1060. I'll push my system maybe another year then do overhaul. By that time monitors will be cheaper too.
    I sow those 2560x1080 LG ones for 199£ for B grade and new ones go for 250£. Thats a big saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Not really interested in 1440p 144hz. Would be useless with my 1060. I'll push my system maybe another year then do overhaul. By that time monitors will be cheaper too.
    I sow those 2560x1080 LG ones for 199£ for B grade and new ones go for 250£. Thats a bog saving.

It is indeed, especially if you're footing the bill!

Lu Tze wrote: »
    It is indeed, especially if you're footing the bill!

My spell checker on phone is a complete dick. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

My spell checker on phone is a complete dick. :)

Sorry, i was making a turf joke, a poor one at that!

Monitors are very subjective, so you really have to try for yourself which one is worth the added money.

I think the 34" 21:9 monitors are just too small vertically, so I am not a big fan. But that is only my opinion and nobody can tell you what your experience will be.

• Advertisement

Monitors are very subjective, so you really have to try for yourself which one is worth the added money.

I think the 34" 21:9 monitors are just too small vertically, so I am not a big fan. But that is only my opinion and nobody can tell you what your experience will be.

That's the thing about these aspect ratios. Normal aspect ratio will increase detail with ppi, where's 21:9 will add you more screen estate instead and make field of view wider. Its super handy in games like wow, eve, mobas, fps shooters.
    I agree though, each to its own. I just prefer ultrawide. I would go for 1440p ultrawide, but I don't have enough horse power to run that.

Advertisement