Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

nix wrote: »
    This bad boy right here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B017DG09WM/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I tried to order it from currys for £599.99 but it literally sold out as i was making the purchase (i was mad) then i went to buy from ebuyer, who apparently dont do the parcel motel dance, so amazon were the only other place i could find that had it in stock.

Same one I got from scan.co.uk. It is beautiful. You will be well happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I ordered one not so long ago. It cost €7. When it checks in, you'll get a notification the next day to say you can collect it from Finglas or have them deliver it to any other Nightline depot without further charge. You can also chose home delivery which is another €7 or so I think. Never used it as it's handy for me to collect from Finglas.

Sweet, i might just go and pick it up, save me depositing with PM again, i thought it was just €7 to have it delivered to the gaff so dont really wanna kick up another €10 :D

Spending a fortune on cpu parts lately :eek:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Julez wrote: »
    How much was your shipping? I got one for my friend and one for me. So two monitors, shipping £65 to Ireland or £12 to UK, so went with parcel motel, even if they're oversized it will work out cheaper.

Dell arrived today for me, any sign of yours yet? Going to be a long day waiting to get home to have a play with it. Fingers crossed it's not a dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Dell arrived today for me, any sign of yours yet? Going to be a long day waiting to get home to have a play with it. Fingers crossed it's not a dud.

Mines in parcel motel in Finglas, probably won't get at it till tonight so will only have a quick look before bed. Looking forward to trying it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Anyone looking for a reasonably affordable (by G-Sync standards) 144mkz 1440p 27", I got this a few weeks ago and it's incredibly brilliant, I've never seen a screen so good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-XB270HUD-Gaming-Monitor-NVIDIA/dp/B018NRT45I/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1471876905&sr=1-1&keywords=Acer+XB270HUD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Cina wrote: »
    Anyone looking for a reasonably affordable (by G-Sync standards) 144mkz 1440p 27", I got this a few weeks ago and it's incredibly brilliant, I've never seen a screen so good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-XB270HUD-Gaming-Monitor-NVIDIA/dp/B018NRT45I/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1471876905&sr=1-1&keywords=Acer+XB270HUD

getting the same myself, deciding factor was the fact that it was an ips panel in comparison to all other similar priced monitors with g sync which are tn panels.

Overclockers works out at around 8 euro dearer when you take amazons weird exchange rate into account and they have it in stock.

Have you had any issues with the monitor? decent quality control?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sneak

The XB270HU is ips but the XB270HUD is a TN, probably why its cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

getting the same myself, deciding factor was the fact that it was an ips panel in comparison to all other similar priced monitors with g sync which are tn panels.

Overclockers works out at around 8 euro dearer when you take amazons weird exchange rate into account and they have it in stock.

Have you had any issues with the monitor? decent quality control?

TN panels dont have as many problems with backlight bleed or stuck pixels as IPS do.

Everyone gives out about TN but if your getting one to game on, your probably sitting directly in front of it so the viewing angles argument goes out of the window.
    There is some color difference but once you get used to it your grand.
    I have a TN freesync monitor and I'm very happy with it. An IPS version would be a good bit more expensive.
    Good luck with the new screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Yeah if I've any backlight bleeding problems etc. Its getting sent straight back, not spending big money on a monitor for sub par quality, kind of crazy that there's even quality control issues with high end monitors like these considering the price. I've a aoc 4k monitor myself that's a tn, great screen imo

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The B grade one? Gives a shout what it's missing or any issues with it. I am already planing in two weeks to have my 450eu put away for new monitor and most likely I will go with B grade stuff from overclockers as Value is unbeatable if it's still good shape monitors.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The B grade one? Gives a shout what it's missing or any issues with it. I am already planing in two weeks to have my 450eu put away for new monitor and most likely I will go with B grade stuff from overclockers as Value is unbeatable if it's still good shape monitors.

Box was fairly tattered but I'm happy enough with the monitor. I'm assuming it was b-grade because of the backlight bleed on the bottom right corner of the screen, tried to take a picture of it here: http://i.imgur.com/HmI0z9m.jpg

Box was fairly tattered but I'm happy enough with the monitor. I'm assuming it was b-grade because of the backlight bleed on the bottom right corner of the screen, tried to take a picture of it here: http://i.imgur.com/HmI0z9m.jpg

Cool, cheers m8. Honestly, back bleed thing wouldn't bother me that much. I know some people can't stand it, button that price I could live with it.

Cool, cheers m8. Honestly, back bleed thing wouldn't bother me that much. I know some people can't stand it, button that price I could live with it.

I'm the same man, delighted with it overall. Also worth noting it's still under warranty with Dell until December 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Do make sure you have a decent calibrated setup! By default my monitor (Asus Swift) was at around 100 brightness and I could see a load of ips glow, I can't remember any backlight bleed though. Using the settings from tftcentral, it pretty much removed most issues.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2716dg.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

Gave mine a go for about an hour last night. I think I got pretty lucky, it still had plastic sticky wrapping on it. There was a printed RMA docket in it. To me it looks like someone probably bought it and changed their mind. No noticeable bleed or dead pixels or anything like that. I'm really happy with it, coming from 60hz, even just navigating through windows is so much smoother.

Ugh finally got my Acer Predator and the display port cable that comes with it isnt long enough to go from PC to monitor :mad:

Should i use hdmi or display port anyway???

I had planned to use the DVI-D but its doesnt have a bloody slot for that :mad::mad:

Anybody with this monitor can point me in the direction of the best cable to use? I game mostly

EDIT: anybody know where to buy a display port cable in Dublin?

You must use HDMI (if supported) or DisplayPort in order to use G-Sync. DVI does not support it.

yeah ive read the displayport is the better route to go so picked up a longer lead today.

However, i tried changing the nvidia control panel settings (under change resolution section) to run my new monitor at 144hz and my screen started flickering like crazy and wouldnt stop, also when i access the actual acer predator monitor options it says my refresh rate is 60hz..

However when in nvidia control panel now, under change resolution it says im at 2560 x 1440 and 60hz refresh rate

But when i go into adjust desktop size and position it says 2560 x 1440 and 165hz refresh rate..

WHAT?

Ehhhh... try turning it off and then on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Scooped up a new XB271HU, had a dead pixel down the bottom left which I wasn't especially bothered with and I was happy enough to move on with my life.

Now a few hours later it just turned itself off and won't go back on again. No lights or anything.

There's a fair body of criticism on the internet about this particular monitor which was obviously a warning sign but the lack of QC on a £600-650 monitor is just appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

what are peoples thoughts on curved monitors? are they a gimmick?

looking to upgrade my monitor soon looking for a 27in probably a 1440p
    still on the fence if g-sync is worth it or not ive a 1080

dunworth1 wrote: »
    what are peoples thoughts on curved monitors? are they a gimmick?

looking to upgrade my monitor soon looking for a 27in probably a 1440p
    still on the fence if g-sync is worth it or not ive a 1080

In the few hours that mine was working before Acer build quality kicked in I was highly impressed with 1440p/G-sync/refresh rate >60HZ whether gaming or just general activity.

I liked the look of the curved monitors but if I was going curved I think I'd be looking for one larger than 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dvega

Bought the Rog Swift 9Q for about 650, it was already ready open but it was as good as new.

Very slight bleed at the bottom left corner but considering what some people are getting it's not bad.

Have a look: http://imgur.com/a/QCzEK

What you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

dvega wrote: »
    Bought the Rog Swift 9Q for about 650, it was already ready open but it was as good as new.

Very slight bleed at the bottom left corner but considering what some people are getting it's not bad.

Have a look: http://imgur.com/a/QCzEK

What you think?

If your happy with it rock on and enjoy your new screen.
    Different people see things like bleed differently.

That's almost indistinguishable from IPS Glow, perfect panel :D

grimloch wrote: »
    Scooped up a new XB271HU, had a dead pixel down the bottom left which I wasn't especially bothered with and I was happy enough to move on with my life.

Now a few hours later it just turned itself off and won't go back on again. No lights or anything.

There's a fair body of criticism on the internet about this particular monitor which was obviously a warning sign but the lack of QC on a £600-650 monitor is just appalling.

I was using mine the other day, after watching some TV on it [From a Pi via HDMI]. When I went on to games, it looked fooked. Line down the center, right side was 5-10 pixels below the left. Tears n stuff all down the right edge. Was fuming I spent 700 blips on this. Turned it off and back and it was grand. Didn't have to change my trousers after all... :P

So what, those predators are not great build quality?

There's definitely a good few people whinging about them alright. Quite a few complaints over "backlight bleed" (I'm not 100% what that means) and dead pixels.

It's a great monitor when it's up and running but there does seem to be a higher quality control lottery with these screens relative to other components.

• Advertisement

So what, those predators are not great build quality?

QC seems to be smoking crack the whole time. I was really, really worried when I ordered. Expecting a pile-o-****e.

Beautiful. No dead pixels. Minimum bleed. Even works with my PI that use as a media centerwhen I wanna watch TV, with no issues. But I have heard of people sending back 3 or 4 in a row. That being said, I believe the quality improved with the batches that came at the start of the summer.

So basically its a crap shoot :P

Advertisement