Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Monitors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Can anyone recommend an entry level g sync monitor. Im about to update my gpu to a 1060 or 480. Ideally I would like to get the 1060 but G Sync monitors seem to be ridiculously expensive.

I may have to get the 480 and a freesync monitor. It sucks being a rich man trapped in a poor mans body :(

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

pcuser wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an entry level g sync monitor. Im about to update my gpu to a 1060 or 480. Ideally I would like to get the 1060 but G Sync monitors seem to be ridiculously expensive.

I may have to get the 480 and a freesync monitor. It sucks being a rich man trapped in a poor mans body :(

The Gsync HW comes with a premium alright. This site is generally pretty decent for the reviews of everything you need.
    http://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 aosaigh

Has anybody gone for the Asus PG279Q? I'm looking at picking it up but have heard awful things about quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

aosaigh wrote: »
    Has anybody gone for the Asus PG279Q? I'm looking at picking it up but have heard awful things about quality

I'll quote myself from a few months ago when I reviewed receiving my PG279Q :)
    Xenoronin wrote: »
    My GTX 760 has surprised me. It made the jump to 1440p with no huge deal. The new ROG Swift is restricted to 120Hz on anything less than the 960 but that doesn't really matter to me for the moment (though they really did keep that quiet, thought it was just the overclocking to 165Hz that was restricted) since the graphics card rarely ever hits above 120fps.

G-Sync is beautiful, ULMB is really cool, though you have to do the UFO test in order to see what exactly just happened, IPS is nothing new to me so it is still really pretty. The built in flux is interesting, gonna try it out to see if it reduces eye strain.

Got lucky in the QC department, no dead pixels, the IPS Glow is fine after using the TFTCentral settings, at default it is way too bright and the black screen really looks pretty bad, much less so after calibration. Only real issue is that activating ULMB requires the monitor to be turned off for a second and then back on (backlight seems to turn mostly off once you exit the OSD). It's a known issue but not something i'm thinking of RMA over since I won't be using it frequently (not a CS:GO nut, just a casual). Doesn't seem to be much if any backlight bleed.

Rocket League is playing perfectly at max graphics and 1440p, so is LoL. I know it would struggle in more intensive or badly optimised games (looking at you Blade and Soul). CS:GO can play on a toaster so that wasn't surprising. I think i'm happy to wait for Pascal now.
    Solid (though very expensive) investment. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Do you have a link for the calibration? Should be buying a new monitor in the next month, might go with it

• Advertisement

Do you have a link for the calibration? Should be buying a new monitor in the next month, might go with it

I have been looking for a calibration for the XB271HU myself,so if anyone has one.. Been fecking about with the settings and have no idea :P

Nice one brother! Ill give that a lash when I get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, just a very stupid question now. If you have 144hz monitor, but you don't hit 144hz, would you still have a lot ot tearing and stuff?
    Still will have to use sync?

Guys, just a very stupid question now. If you have 144hz monitor, but you don't hit 144hz, would you still have a lot ot tearing and stuff?

Stealing something I found online.
    it doesn't matter if the GPU is rendering faster or slower than the monitors refreshrate. If you're getting an fps that isn't a multiple or a 1/x fraction of the monitors refresh rate there will be tearing. Even if you lock you're fps to 60, 120, 30, etc. you'll still get tearing if you don't have something like v-sync to take care of the timing.

Admittedly, it is less of an issue at 144hz as the screen refreshes so fast that tears are less noticeable. You may notice them during sudden dips in FPS and very fast lateral movement.

• Advertisement

Stealing something I found online.

Admittedly, it is less of an issue at 144hz as the screen refreshes so fast that tears are less noticeable. You may notice them during sudden dips in FPS and very fast lateral movement.

Cheers m8.

I got my heart set for 29 or 34 inch LG 2560x1080 60hz. Though I sow overclockers have benq 35inch 144hz 2560x1080 monitor, which has great reviews for gaming. There is on adverts Asus 1440p 144hz too.
    I am not sure if it's worth spending extra on 144hz monitor as I got only 1060. In fairness mostly I play wow, Starcraft, heroes of the storm and rainbow six.
    I might put up my 1060 for sale and upgrade to 1070 after o get monitor sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

If you get a gsync (for Nvidia cards) or Freesync (for AMD cards) monitor, the monitor will automatically sync to the same hz as fps on the fly for minimal tearing.

any idea when we will start seeing 144hz 1440p or higher ultrawide monitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

any idea when we will start seeing 144hz 1440p or higher ultrawide monitors?

They need displayport 1.3 to support the extra bandwidth. For some reason no monitors seem to have it yet.

Do new GPUs have dp 1.3?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Do new GPUs have dp 1.3?

Pretty sure pascal has DP 1.4.

Luck100 wrote: »
    Pretty sure pascal has DP 1.4.

yup just checked and my ftw 1080 has 1.4, might be worth saving my euros until a 144hz 1440p ultrawide comes out

So lads, I got my money sorted and I am going for a new monitor. 600eu ready to go and I am looking for 3440x1440. It was always my dream monitor and I was putting away this for way too long.
    I am going to dublin with misses today and coming back tomorrow. Tomorrow is going to be the day to push the trigger.

I wanted to order from Overclockers, but their price is a bit too high. I cant really afford high brand ones too. Amazon surprisingly got some stuff.

AOC 469£
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-Ultra-Wide-Monitor-Speakers-U3477PQU/dp/B00LO0FNZ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473840758&sr=8-2&keywords=3440x1440

LG 539£
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-34UM88C-34-Inch-UltraWide-Monitor/dp/B01D7OZQ18/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1473840758&sr=8-4&keywords=3440x1440

As I said, I would love to go with overclockers, but the only option i could ge there with is this for 499£:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/iiyama-prolite-xub3490wqsu-b1-34-3440x1440-ah-ips-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-133-iy.html

Now I know my pc is not going to be perfect for it now, but I mostly play only WoW and WoT. Some rainbow six now and then. I dont mind droping some eye candy. On top of that I dont plan sticking to 1060 for very long time. It will go on adverts and Ill get 1070.

Any other options or any other places I lcould have a look for these monitors?

looking at ultra wides myself, although finding one with a high refresh is a pain in the arse

looking at ultra wides myself, although finding one with a high refresh is a pain in the arse

There are no 144hz ultrawide 1440p versions, there are though 2560x1080 144hz versions, which look amazing. 35inch and for some people it might be an issue due to pixel density. In my opinion ots kind of golden spot, where you don't need stupid hardware and still enjoy wd with 144hz.
    I personally not pushed on 144hz so I better go higher resolution.

I kind of really love that AOC one and price is fantastic. I just wonder if it's worth going LG instead. Almost 100 quid more.

• Advertisement

yeah the highest is 100hz on the x34 and asus UW and they cost silly money, have you seen the new lg 38" ultrawide? looks amazing, very tempted by it even though it only has 60hz (75 with freesync), 3840x1600 resolution.

I have an AOC 4k monitor thats pretty good, small bit of backlight bleed at the bottom left corner, its pretty much a crap shoot with all high end monitors at the moment, QC is non existent apparently

Okay, ordered AOC one just now. 580eu. Can't wait for it! LG worked out around 700eu, fudge that.

Okay, ordered AOC one just now. 580eu. Can't wait for it! LG worked out around 700eu, fudge that.

Considering one of the reviewers on amazon liked it so much, he went and bought 5 more, I think it'll be great. Best of luck with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

Fair play, would love to get an update when you get it! Going to build a rig myself soon enough and torn between getting a 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor or an ultrawide 1440p 60hz monitor.

There is always the middleground, 120Hz/144Hz 21:9 1080p monitors to consider :)

well wear, let us know how you find it :)

B_Sharp wrote: »
    Fair play, would love to get an update when you get it! Going to build a rig myself soon enough and torn between getting a 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor or an ultrawide 1440p 60hz monitor.

These 1440p wd were my dream monitors since I sow LG one on linus tech tips. Though price was always off putting.
    For last month I was 100% sure to get a new monitor, but was thinking off 2560x1080 29inch LG one as it was at least affordable. Then I was thinking between 1440p 144hz, but those are mostly tn panels, which for me a no go.
    Then at work I just got pissed off and decided to get a proper thing. I work hard and a lot, saving money and never let myself get something nice. 600eu budget.

Was thinking of 1440p 144hz or my beloved 21:9 dream monitor. **** it, got my dream for a change and not something practical and smart. :)

There is always the middleground, 120Hz/144Hz 21:9 1080p monitors to consider :)

Ultrawide 1080p monitors with high refresh rates seem to be mostly 34 inch which I think would be too big for that resolution. Am looking at the LG 34UM88C (1440p) and the LG 29UM68 (1080p). Both only go to 75hz but I could live with that. My very first world problem is they're both FreeSync and I had my eye on getting a 1070.

1080p and a RX 480 would be fine for now but I had hoped to future-proof myself for a good while with 1440p and a GTX 1070

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

B_Sharp wrote: »
    My very first world problem is they're both FreeSync and I had my eye on getting a 1070.

Freesync is effectively free as its part of the Displayport standard, its why screens are popping up everywhere with it. You pay for gsysnc, its a add in card on the monitor licensed to Nvidia.

• Advertisement

Freesync is effectively free as its part of the Displayport standard, its why screens are popping up everywhere with it. You pay for gsysnc, its a add in card on the monitor licensed to Nvidia.

Ah ya, I get that. I guess the added cost of GSync might be putting off manufacturers because it'd add to the price of already expensive monitors. The Acer X34 I think is the only 3440x1440 with GSync and it would solve all my problems but it's like €1300 :eek::eek:

I'd say I'll just go for a 1070 and something like the Asus PG279Q and then, next year maybe, flog that and upgrade to a widescreen GSync which will hopefully have gotten a bit cheaper!

Advertisement