Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

These 1440p wd were my dream monitors since I sow LG one on linus tech tips. Though price was always off putting.
    For last month I was 100% sure to get a new monitor, but was thinking off 2560x1080 29inch LG one as it was at least affordable. Then I was thinking between 1440p 144hz, but those are mostly tn panels, which for me a no go.
    Then at work I just got pissed off and decided to get a proper thing. I work hard and a lot, saving money and never let myself get something nice. 600eu budget.

Was thinking of 1440p 144hz or my beloved 21:9 dream monitor. **** it, got my dream for a change and not something practical and smart. :)

Well wear! Bought an Acer version a couple of months ago for just over 600 euro. Couldn't find any reviews for the particular model, but thought it must have the same panel as the higher end ones. Its perfect, stand is a bit **** as I'm used to having a monitor on an arm, but well impressed. Its great for work, don't have the GPU to turn up settings on it for the bit of gaming I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Well wear! Bought an Acer version a couple of months ago for just over 600 euro. Couldn't find any reviews for the particular model, but thought it must have the same panel as the higher end ones. Its perfect, stand is a bit **** as I'm used to having a monitor on an arm, but well impressed. Its great for work, don't have the GPU to turn up settings on it for the bit of gaming I do.

I just love everything about these wide screens. I used to have 3 monitor setup, but gaming on it was meh. Stretching on side monitors was really annoying. I have to admit, eve online was fantastic. :) Wide screens just fix everything that is wrong with 3 monitor setups.

Got email from Amazon that it's despatched. Will be here Monday. Well, at my misses mothers. Problem is I work Monday and back very late, so won't be able to pick it up until Tuesday. :( it's going to be very very long weekend.

It's in Dublin. So most likely I will get it tomorrow. I am off too now.

NUyttbnh.jpg

Its here!

Only hooked it up now. Had issues with DP having no signal. Googled it and the fic was - plug out the damn thing. :pac:

Anywyam only put it up and got wallpaper. Out of box it feels amazing and really good quality. Stand is as good as my dell 2312hm. Those who know dell stands, know what I am talking about.
    First time looking at it on is just jaw droping. So much space!!! Coming from IPS to IPS nothing new, I am used to good colours. :)
    From fist look no issues with pixels. Dont know about light bleed as I never test it and never notice it. I guess its there, I just dont know what I am looking at.
    I will try to play something on it now. Will report more on it. If any questions - shout!

Sorry for very bad picture quality. My phone sucks, misses comes back home later, I will take them with her phone.
    DSC_1250_zpsvul2rcuc.jpg

DSC_1251_zpst07bitze.jpg

DSC_1257_zps3fxpgdql.jpg

DSC_1260_zpsgirq9wgg.jpg

And a pic with my old monitor. Table is more full now hehe.
    DSC_1249_zpsvnazdc7b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Looks awesome. Just put up a fully black screen. If there are areas of non-black on the edges, you have IPS-Glow or Backlight bleed. These rarely cause issue other than in movies or dark moments in games. Even then it'd be up to how picky you are.

• Advertisement

Did this for those ones who still go anal about back bleed. :)

I turned off light and put full black image. That weird glow in a corner disapears from different angel, I presume its not back bleed, but more of reflection? I will do another photo tonight when there is no sunlight. Hope this helps

DSC_1262_zpszxzxalgc.jpg

Looks like normal IPS Glow, so the panel looks good!

Jizz in my pants! Its fecking wierd to play games on this monitor. Still same settings on Wow ( maxed out, no AA ), but not much of performance hit.

DSC_1263_zps9nfz7wq9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

do you find the ratio more immersive? out of interest was your previous monitor a 24inch or 27inch?

do you find the ratio more immersive? out of interest was your previous monitor a 24inch or 27inch?

It was 23.6inch. In foto due to angle it does not look much bigger, but trust me, it damn is.
    this monitor has same height as normal 27inch. It would actually feel small now. So happy i did not cheap out and went wide screen. As for gaming, immersion is just like day and night. Almost all my vision is covered wit monitor. It just feels so weird as almost everywhere you look you see screen. One thing though, I cam really see this being better with a curve. I always knew curved tvs are just stupid, but with monitors it's actually a no brainer. Screen is for one person amd you always sit at sweet spot.

• Advertisement

well feck, time to buy a monitor i suppose haha, i wonder is it feasible to put my current 28inch 4k on an arm and put it above an ultrawide?

anyone know of some sort of decent monitor arm that could hold a 28 inch up high? above a 34 ultrawide. Never used a monitor arm so wouldnt really know much about them

anyone know of some sort of decent monitor arm that could hold a 28 inch up high? above a 34 ultrawide. Never used a monitor arm so wouldnt really know much about them

Hehe, if we talking about monitor arms, I would look for something very similar, but I just need it for 23.6inch monitor, would love to have it above. Anything out there not stupidly expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Shadowhearth any performance hit in FPS or open world games? I know moving up resolutions 1080 >1440 >4K hits GPU performance and always figured ultrawides would do the same in graphic intensive games.

Venom wrote: »
    Shadowhearth any performance hit in FPS or open world games? I know moving up resolutions 1080 >1440 >4K hits GPU performance and always figured ultrawides would do the same in graphic intensive games.

I played only 2 games so far. WoW and Killing floor 2.

In WoW - I was shocked. I am still all ultra, view distance 10. Droped AA ( dont know why you want it at those resolutions ) and I think I turned down shadows by one. It flies and I am still getting 60 fps++ in Broken isles with some odd places where it tanks. Though it was tanking to 30fps even on 1080p. When I launched wow I expected to turn down everything to at least get semi 60.
    Killing floor - well, all maxed out, with bloom and AA turned off. 60fps++ Looks amazing and dont feel any performance hit from 1080p.

Both games could do over 60fps easily and I never bothered going over. All in all I am surprised how well 1060 can handle 3440x1440.

I watched this video before I bought it and it shows how nicely even 1060 can run this resolution. If you got 1060 I dont see any reason not to go with it, if you got 980ti, 1070, then I guess 3440x1440 is perfect.

I will try rainbow six, but I have a feeling I will need to lower down settings a lot.

Update:

Rainbow six siege: All maxed out with all AA turned off, ran benchmarks and got min 41, average 63, max 120. Again, big surprise. Played a game and never noticed any dips in fps. Solid experience.

Heroes of the Storm: Well, it runs on potato. Flawless, dont know fps, but 60+++ for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

On pre order with Amazon for £432.50 ,its 1440p , 144hz and g sync, seems to be a TN panel from a review I saw elsewhere. Might be useful to someone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EN5JN5K/ref=pe_1958571_152136641_em_1p_2_ti

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

glic83 wrote: »
    On pre order with Amazon for £432.50 ,its 1440p , 144hz and g sync, seems to be a TN panel from a review I saw elsewhere. Might be useful to someone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EN5JN5K/ref=pe_1958571_152136641_em_1p_2_ti

Nah pretty sure that is the IPS same model I bought two months ago [Also it goes up to 165Hz]. AFAIK amazon didnt have that version [they had the Gen1 with a gammy stand], and hence why this is pre-purchase. At least when I went looking as I would generally get stuff via amazon, they had no one that shipped to ireland. I ended up going with scan.co.uk in the end.

Beautiful monitor.

Sheeeeeettttttt. That is 160GBP cheaper than i paid, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

glic83 wrote: »

According to acer website it is TN panel.
    If that was ips, I would definitely get it for this price.

twinsen wrote: »
    According to acer website it is TN panel.
    If that was ips, I would definitely get it for this price.

Bizarre. Amazon has it as IPS in the images below, and the part number from my own invoice: "£491.27 69568 27 Acer XB271HU 165 IPS GSync".

Then again the "1ms response time" that the link has isn't possible for an IPS...

Shougeki wrote: »
    Bizarre. Amazon has it as IPS in the images below, and the part number from my own invoice: "£491.27 69568 27 Acer XB271HU 165 IPS GSync".

Then again the "1ms response time" that the link has isn't possible for an IPS...

The "features" info Amazon has on those monitors, is copy-pasted across all monitors in the range by the looks of it. £490 is just way to good a price for a big brand name monitor with with all those bells and whistles sadly.

• Advertisement

The "features" info Amazon has on those monitors, is copy-pasted across all monitors in the range by the looks of it. £490 is just way to good a price for a big brand name monitor with with all those bells and whistles sadly.

Yeah, like I said something weird. Did a quick check of the part number "UM.HX1EE.A01"
    http://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/predator-model/UM.HX1EE.A01

And yep, it is a TN panel. WTF are they doing with the naming? XB1271HU vs XB127HUA. What a bunch of gowls making me look stupid, ffs.

Shougeki wrote: »
    Yeah, like I said something weird. Did a quick check of the part number "UM.HX1EE.A01"
    http://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/predator-model/UM.HX1EE.A01

And yep, it is a TN panel. WTF are they doing with the naming? XB1271HU vs XB127HUA. What a bunch of gowls making me look stupid, ffs.

They must have competitions to see who can come up with the most awkward name for a product.

bets in the office to see how many people they can fool into buying the wrong monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

They must have competitions to see who can come up with the most awkward name for a product.

Full model name is XB271HUAbmiprz.

Like wtf does it mean?
    How would you even come up with this?
    How about next nvida card1180 yhijk, and infel core i7 jdnbfj

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SmokeyTheBull

So I've a 1070 arriving next week and I've been looking into getting a new monitor too, been about 7 years since I bought one . 1440p and 144mhz seems obvious enough but I'm wondering is g-sync worth going for?

Checked out that 144mhz site and the predator seems to be what I want but it's pretty expensive, especially given that it has a bunch of QC issues.

Anyone have any other recommendations? Hdmi ports and speakers would be preferable as it would allow me to hook up my consoles at some stage

*Hz

We've been recommending these most of the time for people who want to go with a slightly cheaper option
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell-s2417dg-24-2560x1440-tn-g-sync-widescreen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-08l-de.html
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell-s2716dg-27-2560x1440-tn-g-sync-144hz-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-084-de.html

Should also be able to find them from other sellers in stock.

So I've a 1070 arriving next week and I've been looking into getting a new monitor too, been about 7 years since I bought one . 1440p and 144mhz seems obvious enough but I'm wondering is g-sync worth going for?

Checked out that 144mhz site and the predator seems to be what I want but it's pretty expensive, especially given that it has a bunch of QC issues.

Anyone have any other recommendations? Hdmi ports and speakers would be preferable as it would allow me to hook up my consoles at some stage

If you willing spending that money for 144hz 1440p, them maybe look in to ultrawide 3440x1440?
    After o went ultrawide I just couldn't go anything with normal aspect ratio and the size of 27inch. Its not 144hz though. Matter of preference, I for example will take ultrawide ips over Any tn 144hz, others will be opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Widescreen 4k 60hz worth getting or is 1440 at 144hz better ?

Found a good deal on a 4k but I'm wondering if 144hz would be better to keep an eye out for a bargain

Gaming and netflix/movies mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

will56 wrote: »

Found a good deal on a 4k but I'm wondering if 144hz would be better to keep an eye out for a bargain

The ultrawides are great for films, as the are appromately the same ratio as cinema format, so no black bars top and bottom

• Advertisement

will56 wrote: »

As I mentioned above, I went ultrawide and i could not go back to normal ratio monitors.

Gaming:
    More field of view, which makes games way more immersive.
    More screen estate in games like eve or wow. I cannot even describe how much better my wow experience is with more space on screen. Specially when I am healer amd started LFR.
    Movies: well, as mentioned above its a proper 21:9 ratio in which movies are shot. Looks fantastic. Just no comparison. 144hz will be most likely TN panel, where's ultrawides are all Ips. For movies it's better.
    Productivity: well, I was on 3 screens before, now I am on one. Its just great. 3 windows or 2 windows open in same screen. Will still get my old 23 inch connected at some point just to put on movies while playing. Other then that, this one screen replaced 3.

It's all up ti you and your preference. Matter of taste. You like 144hz, go for it, you like ultrawide, then go with that. There is no right answer, only matter of taste.

Advertisement