Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

As I mentioned above, I went ultrawide and i could not go back to normal ratio monitors.

Gaming:
    More field of view, which makes games way more immersive.
    More screen estate in games like eve or wow. I cannot even describe how much better my wow experience is with more space on screen. Specially when I am healer amd started LFR.
    Movies: well, as mentioned above its a proper 21:9 ratio in which movies are shot. Looks fantastic. Just no comparison. 144hz will be most likely TN panel, where's ultrawides are all Ips. For movies it's better.
    Productivity: well, I was on 3 screens before, now I am on one. Its just great. 3 windows or 2 windows open in same screen. Will still get my old 23 inch connected at some point just to put on movies while playing. Other then that, this one screen replaced 3.

It's all up ti you and your preference. Matter of taste. You like 144hz, go for it, you like ultrawide, then go with that. There is no right answer, only matter of taste.

Think my bargain monitor is 16:9 so might take a look around before I pull the trigger.
    4k on 16:9 is still going to be pretty though ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

will56 wrote: »
    Think my bargain monitor is 16:9 so might take a look around before I pull the trigger.
    4k on 16:9 is still going to be pretty though ?:D

I personally think that 4k is not a good proposition right now. Way too expensive to run such resolution and on top of that you got scaling issues. So yeah, more pixels, but they are not usable unless you got 40k inch monitor, which is just way too big to be comfortable for actual pc usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Have to agree about 4K being silly at this stage unless you have money to burn on dual Titan XP's and even then your just bearly making the grade. I'd rather have all the bells and whistles turned on at 1440P than run a game at 4K on low to medium settings.

As for 144hz vs Ultrawide, I'm leaning towards 144hz as nearly every reviewer talks about how much a jump forward it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I will say that my gtx1080 has surprised me on the 4k performance side of things. As long as I turn down aa I seem to be getting 50-60fps in new titles with high - ultra settings.

Thinking of buying a high hz ultrawide monitor myself though, but I'm tempted to just wait for the next round of monitors

I will say that my gtx1080 has surprised me on the 4k performance side of things. As long as I turn down aa I seem to be getting 50-60fps in new titles with high - ultra settings.

Thinking of buying a high hz ultrawide monitor myself though, but I'm tempted to just wait for the next round of monitors

I'm not going to even look at monitors until late next year as they are just going for crazy money at the moment due to the tech being all new and shiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i'm very tempted to buy a 34" 1440p ultrawide but think i'll hold off until black Friday and see if theres any deals

Venom wrote: »
    I'm not going to even look at monitors until late next year as they are just going for crazy money at the moment due to the tech being all new and shiny.

thing is in the next year or two there should be big advances (should....) when displayport 1.3 finally comes out and enables high hz/high resolution + ultra-wide.

current UW 1440p monitors that have a refresh rate of 100hz are nutty money at the moment, and id feel like a right gob if i threw €1200 on a monitor only for something much better to come in 5 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've had 4K, Ultrawide and 1440p 144hz monitors and I think that 1440p 144hz is the best all-rounder. When it works, ultrawide is admittedly probably my preferred - but too many games, including 2016 AAA releases, don't support ultrawide resolution which is a massive pain.

It's the reason I went 1440p 144hz - everything just works superbly. 4K is just too demanding, at a minimum you really need at least a single GTX1080...it's a bit pointless right now in my opinion unless you're in a position to spend 2-3k on your setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've had 4K, Ultrawide and 1440p 144hz monitors and I think that 1440p 144hz is the best all-rounder. When it works, ultrawide is admittedly probably my preferred - but too many games, including 2016 AAA releases, don't support ultrawide resolution which is a massive pain.

It's the reason I went 1440p 144hz - everything just works superbly. 4K is just too demanding, at a minimum you really need at least a single GTX1080...it's a bit pointless right now in my opinion unless you're in a position to spend 2-3k on your setup.

As someone who's looking into a monitor upgrade, but isn't sure what direction to go, why is AAA games not supporting ultrawide a pain? Surely you'd just get what you'd have got if you didn't have an ultrawide anyway: standard 16:9.

Have you tried (tightly) curved ultrawides? If so, what are they like for work? It is weird not having perfectly straight lines where you'd expect them?

Serephucus wrote: »
    As someone who's looking into a monitor upgrade, but isn't sure what direction to go, why is AAA games not supporting ultrawide a pain? Surely you'd just get what you'd have got if you didn't have an ultrawide anyway: standard 16:9.

Have you tried (tightly) curved ultrawides? If so, what are they like for work? It is weird not having perfectly straight lines where you'd expect them?

I upgraded to ultrawide and i don't think triple A are the issue.

I tried:
    Killing floor 2
    Wow
    Diablo 3
    Heroes of the storm
    Mad max
    Rainbow six
    I know for sure battlefield games work and almost all new games support it.

The only game that didn't was Starcraft 2. Overwatch is iffy about it too, but die to stupid competitive reasons, but then league of legends support it and all other games, so blizzard just being dicks.

More and more developers adopt to new things and put support for it unless it's a ****y console port in the first place.
    With ultrawide you still can play normal 1440p. It will ne same screen estate as normal 1440p 27inch. So I don't see big issue.
    Unless you got horse power for 144hz and high refresh rate is so important for you that you can live with TN panel, then go for it. I personally don't care about 144hz and I love my ips. Each to its own, but I am minority. :)

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »

I would imagine it like watching a 4.3 video on a 16.9 screen and while all the picture is there, the black bars on either side really jump out at you and can wreck some peoples head.

Venom wrote: »
    I would imagine it like watching a 4.3 video on a 16.9 screen and while all the picture is there, the black bars on either side really jump out at you and can wreck some peoples head.

That's the point, it's not 4:3, if it's 1440p it becomes normal 1440p 16:9 27inch monitor. Black bars there, but didn't bothered me. I play in dark room anyway.

anyone have a 4k monitor with a 1080?

is 4k just too much for the 1080?

i'm looking at getting a new monitor was looking at 1440p ones but i see i can get a 4k one for now much more

ive a 4k monitor and a 1080, tbh im quite surprised at the performance, as long as i turn down aa ive been getting a solid 60 fps in most titals. Forza horizon 3 runs ultra with medium aa at 60fps

ive a 4k monitor and a 1080, tbh im quite surprised at the performance, as long as i turn down aa ive been getting a solid 60 fps in most titals. Forza horizon 3 runs ultra with medium aa at 60fps

Do you have Bf4?

If so what kind of fps do you get?

I assume you have vsync turned on

yup, solid 60fps maxed, with v sync

bf1 beta was around the 50fps ultra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads would a Rog Swift Pg278q for €450 be a good choice or is there a better option for that price?

Lads would a Rog Swift Pg278q for €450 be a good choice or is there a better option for that price?

Thats not a bad price for that monitor at all. It is the TN panel version with the PG279Q being the IPS model but the TN panel itself is ment to be one of the better ones on the market and almost on par with the IPS version.

If you search on Youtube, there are a few side by side comparisons of both monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

With the drop in sterling, anything looking particularly good on Amazon at the minute?

(I'm debating between getting another 27 inch 1080p monitor to match the one I have or moving up to something a little bigger and higher resolution)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

g

• Advertisement

I bought these today from Amazon.Not a bad price at all but I will have to wait for about 3 weeks for delivery.

URL="https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01684HUJU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Acer XF240H[/URL]

URL="https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J1J7SKK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Sapphire AMD RX480 Nitro+ 8 GB GDDR5[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Hey there PC B&G,

May as well bump this for thoughts as oppose to making a new thread..

Monitors are very subjective but I'm looking for some input from anyone with experience in:
    27" / Ultrawide / 1440p / Freesync (any combination of those :P )

I've currently a 24" Dell U2412M, 1900x1200 - pretty fantastic but I got it about 4 years ago.
    http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=230-12093&redirect=1
    And I can't really complain about it, but I wonder am I missing out on Freesync (and I'd like to move up a size bigger.)

I've recently got an RX480 4GB which is blasting away at 1080 no problem in stuff like BF1, and I'm catching up on older games I'd missed out on in past few years, but don't expect to be pushing ultra everything for years to come. I'm sure I'll be able to afford another card update when the time comes!

I do watch a lot of movies/tv too, so there's the cinematic side of things too I'd be interested in as opposed to competitive e-sports spec!.

Would it be a downgrade to get something like this (as the price seems quite reasonable?? - whats the catch!? ).
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BFH194W/ref=twister_B01D1J1A2I?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    29", Ultrawide, Freesync, IPS 2560 x 1080

Or should I look for a freesync 27" ...but they seem to be TN/1080 or thereabouts.

Would TN be a big downgrade to get the bonus of freesync? (all I hear is how great the tech is and that I'll never look back..)

Or should I get a 27" 1440p monitor for the higher res but no freesync.

Sorry, it's more fishing for suggestions - I'm looking to shell out on something with this months paycheck as I'm running out of things to upgrade.

All over the place really. I'm trawling amazon looking at all sorts of monitors and unsure which way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

My two cents.
    TN panels can be grand, the ones used by alot of manufacturers in these 27 inch screens are good quality screens , not some of the older TN screens that people give out about.

Yes, they have view angle issues, if you tend to hang off the extreme edge of your desk to the far right or left of the screen gaming instead of in your seat in front of the screen then it might be an issue. If you dont then most likely it wont be.
    Read the reviews and thats a nice little card for 1080p, it wont get you Ultra in 1440p for ever in all games but it will in some at 60hz, 144hz 1440p is tough work for a gpu but not really needed in alot of games.

The monitor you linked is a nice looking monitor for 1080p widescreen and would serve you well. Some folks swear by widescreen, I dont have one to compare but it does look tasty.

Wait for the Christmas sales also, well worth doing as you might snag a bargain.

Shlippery wrote: »
    Hey there PC B&G,

May as well bump this for thoughts as oppose to making a new thread..

Monitors are very subjective but I'm looking for some input from anyone with experience in:
    27" / Ultrawide / 1440p / Freesync (any combination of those :P )

I've currently a 24" Dell U2412M, 1900x1200 - pretty fantastic but I got it about 4 years ago.
    http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=230-12093&redirect=1
    And I can't really complain about it, but I wonder am I missing out on Freesync (and I'd like to move up a size bigger.)

I've recently got an RX480 4GB which is blasting away at 1080 no problem in stuff like BF1, and I'm catching up on older games I'd missed out on in past few years, but don't expect to be pushing ultra everything for years to come. I'm sure I'll be able to afford another card update when the time comes!

I do watch a lot of movies/tv too, so there's the cinematic side of things too I'd be interested in as opposed to competitive e-sports spec!.

Would it be a downgrade to get something like this (as the price seems quite reasonable?? - whats the catch!? ).
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BFH194W/ref=twister_B01D1J1A2I?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    29", Ultrawide, Freesync, IPS 2560 x 1080

Or should I look for a freesync 27" ...but they seem to be TN/1080 or thereabouts.

Would TN be a big downgrade to get the bonus of freesync? (all I hear is how great the tech is and that I'll never look back..)

Or should I get a 27" 1440p monitor for the higher res but no freesync.

Sorry, it's more fishing for suggestions - I'm looking to shell out on something with this months paycheck as I'm running out of things to upgrade.

All over the place really. I'm trawling amazon looking at all sorts of monitors and unsure which way to go!

I would be the one to stand by ultrawide. I upgraded to 34inch 3440x1440 over a month ago and I will never ever go back to normal aspect ratio.
    Saying this, I would not really go for 2560x1080 version of it and it would not be big of an upgrade.

All depends on what your budget, your gaming requirements and taste.

I personally don't play much competitive shooters. Its mainly stuff like wow, Diablo 3, path of exile, killing floor 2, space engineers, terarria, world of tanks etc. So I will go for best 60hz ips panel with high resolution.
    If you play a lot of battlefield, cod, counter strike etc. Then you should be looking in to 144hz monitors. Most likely tn panels as they would be budget friendly.

As for tn vs ips topic: it's like opening a can of worms on this forum. Some will say that they don't feel difference and tn is as good, other like me will go only for ips and won't touch tn anymore. Its up to you to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

To be honest I have a Asus IPS and a Samsung TN beside each other and there is very little between them. Colours are a small bit more vibrant alright but it wouldn't sway me towards the IPS. The viewing angles are even good on the Samsung panel. The IPS is my main panel as it is 1440p while the Samsung is 1080p but if I was to buy another monitor I would consider a TN panel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Likewise I have a 1440 IPS 60hz sitting beside a 1080 TN 144hz gsync, the 144hz TN wins every single time for gaming of every genre, simply no going back to 60hz after experiencing 144hz.
    As for colours the IPS is about 10% better colours at the most, this myth of IPS colours being a lot better than a TN is exactly that a myth or marketing jargon,there is feck all between them in terms of colour quality.

1440,144hz,gsync,1ms response time, IPS would be the perfect screen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Dcully wrote: »
    simply no going back to 60hz after experiencing 144hz.

I have Battlefield 1 on the pc and play it most nights. My son has it on the Xbox One. I was playing with him during the week and really noticed the difference between 144Hz and 60Hz.

144Hz is so fluid compared to 60Hz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You have to remember as well the XB1 and PS4 versions don't run at 60fps, often as low as 30fps and mostly I think around 40-50, so you're not actually comparing a 60fps vs 100fps+ scenario.

And of course on PC playing 64 player conquest, unless you've a high end i7 based setup, you're not really going to see anywhere near 100fps either (probably around 60-70 map dependent) - though campaign should be easier to hit 100-120fps depending on the setup.

The best games for testing 144hz monitors are ones like Overwatch, CS:Go, and similar titles where a decent PC can handle a stable 120-144fps where the difference is very significant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You have to remember as well the XB1 and PS4 versions don't run at 60fps, often as low as 30fps and mostly I think around 40-50, so you're not actually comparing a 60fps vs 100fps+ scenario.

And of course on PC playing 64 player conquest, unless you've a high end i7 based setup, you're not really going to see anywhere near 100fps either (probably around 60-70 map dependent) - though campaign should be easier to hit 100-120fps depending on the setup.

The best games for testing 144hz monitors are ones like Overwatch, CS:Go, and similar titles where a decent PC can handle a stable 120-144fps where the difference is very significant.
    I struggle to get 120fps in Overwatch... on Ultra preset (141% renderscale)...
    :o

Advertisement