Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estimate for knocking through a load baring wall

Options
  • 12-07-2016 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

Thinking of knocking through from our kitchen into the utility room, currently a single doorway in place but looking to open it up, 2.8m in length in total including the existing door.

The wall is a block wall, the old gable end before previous owners extended out and put in a large utility which we want to convert to a living room. Two storey house so I assume that it's load bearing. No radiators etc. on either side

Any idea of cost to open it up and put a RSJ in below the ceiling and finish it off so the beams are covered. Flooring, lights etc. doesn't need to be included.

Thanks in advance
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

approximate cost can be between 1500-2000

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kildon

thanks, good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You had better get it signed off by an engineer during the build for the RSJ bit as if you don't and you need to sell, it will need signing off then which will mean opening up and making good at your expense.
    The engineer bit could cost you 800 euro or so

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Budget 3-5k all in for Engineer, builder, works and making good the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kildon

kceire wrote: »
    Budget 3-5k all in for Engineer, builder, works and making good the mess.

Thanks for all the replies, have a few other walls we are now looking at, think we'll have to do them all at once to get a better price on builder and engineer. Hopefully that tax break will still be there next year

• Advertisement
Advertisement