Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Space Nine Runthrough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

jeffrey combs as vorta: captain! yay!
    sisko: i don't like the dominion and i don't like YOU
    jeffrey combs as vorta: but captain :( i like YOU :(

jeffrey combs as vorta: kai winn! i think we have soooo much in common. will you be my friend!
    kai winn: ehhh... no. no we don't. bye
    jeffrey combs as vorta: :(

sisko saved ds9 and then pulled down his jumper before sitting
    ah star trek
    dukat's meltdown was pretty awesome

do you remember when 10 ferengi stood against 273 lystasians?

i'm surprised THIS! IS! FERENGINAAAAARRRR! didn't follow :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

After taking a bit of a break, I'm nearing the end of the full run-through, having just watched 'The Changing Face of Evil: Part 4', the final lap for DS9 and certainly the most overtly serialised portion of the entire series. Any once-off stories are truly in the rearview mirror & the show really feels like a 'modern' one now - it's all about the arc & bringing everything to a crescendo.

Watching Legit Damar grow a conscience & spine was pretty great. Poor Kai Winn though. Words I never thought I'd type. She has been a magnificent, duplicitous character but she has been so thoroughly manipulated at this stage it's hard not to feel a pang of sympathy for her - even if ultimately she volunteered her services to the Pah Wraiths. Dukat & Kai Winn - Star Trek's best antagonists bar none; Khan has nothing on these two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

no sympathy for the ego maniacal winn, she got what she deserved
    as for damar, he did not lack bravery or a spine, , a conscience maybe

• Advertisement

my runthrough took a massive slowdown, i have been watching legion and the expanse and all them.

I am currently on s06e20, which i think should be titled 'Odo Goes On A Date'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Watching the episode where Worf goes on holiday to Risa and he helps sabotage the weather grid for the lulz causing a lot of rain and people to leave the planet

I wonder if he ever got punished for it :D

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Watching the episode where Worf goes on holiday to Risa and he helps sabotage the weather grid for the lulz causing a lot of rain and people to leave the planet

I wonder if he ever got punished for it :D

It's a stupid bloody episode. How he got away with terrorism on a planet wide scale is beyond me.

Then again Sisko was allowed to poison an inhabited planet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's a stupid bloody episode. How he got away with terrorism on a planet wide scale is beyond me.

Starfleet is the 24th century equivalent of being in the civil service.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

He probably got a mark on his record.
    the one they all frequently get marks on that nobody ever seems to care about

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC, Worf was told quite directly by Sisko that he'd never be promoted to captain, and was blacklisted, after a stunt that I can't immediately recall. Think it was the usual "disobeying orders" malarkey, going off solo in defiance of The Sisko etc.

The Risa stuff I think can be discounted on the basis of it being a "comedy" episode, and they tend to get quietly forgotten or deemphasised in canon. As well as being a fairly sh*t episode anyway :)

pixelburp wrote: »
    IIRC, Worf was told quite directly by Sisko that he'd never be promoted to captain, and was blacklisted, after a stunt that I can't immediately recall. Think it was the usual "disobeying orders" malarkey, going off solo in defiance of The Sisko etc.

that one was when he saved jadzia's life and abandoned a spy informer who claimed to have info that would save millions. just watched it recently!
    i didn't really get why the spy guy didn't hang around a bit or make it a bit further through the jungle himself if he was so sure he was gona die

sisko then told him he might well have done the same thing after the reprimanding

omg that one was shocking
    'but it won't affect the natives' yes okay BUT
    hello

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Evade

How many debates do you think Starfleet had about whether or not to use that very specific only affects Cardassians toxin during the war?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Evade wrote: »
    How many debates do you think Starfleet had about whether or not to use that very specific only affects Cardassians toxin during the war?

It obviously couldn't be manufactured and weaponised. Starfleet used targeted bio weapons during that and other wars.

It obviously couldn't be manufactured and weaponised. Starfleet used targeted bio weapons during that and other wars.
    Sisko had it lying around on the Defiant it can't be that hard to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Rawr

bluewolf wrote: »
    omg that one was shocking
    'but it won't affect the natives' yes okay BUT
    hello

Crewmember: Captain! Your "apparently not evil" genocide-torpedo is making the planet dangerous to human life!

Sisko: I don't care, because they can always leave on their ships...

Crewmember: But sir! Some of them don't have ships, or their ships have been turned into un-spaceworthy houses! They can't leave!

Sisko: I don't care, because they are all Marquis and they knew what they were getting into!

Crewmember: But sir! Some of them where innocent colonists who just happened to live there!

Sisko: I don't care, because EDDINGTON!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Rawr wrote: »
    Sisko: I don't care, because EDDINGTON!!!

And that was what it all boiled down to. A betrayed Sisko is an angry Sisko.

Can't imagine Picard doing that to the Maquis because of Ro Laren.

Kiith wrote: »
    And that was what it all boiled down to. A betrayed Sisko is an angry Sisko.

Can't imagine Picard doing that to the Maquis because of Ro Laren.
    Q: "You hit me. Picard never hit me."

Sisko: "I'm not Picard."

The borg, 8472, the changelings ..... its a standard starfleet tactic to bioengineer a weapon

The borg, 8472, the changelings ..... its a standard starfleet tactic to bioengineer a weapon
    Which makes not using the one that seems to be easy to make on the Cardassians odd. Unless you're implying Starfleet takes the James Mattis approach, "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." I think the Federation has a sinister side but that's a bit far even for me.

• Advertisement

Which makes not using the one that seems to be easy to make on the Cardassians odd. Unless you're implying Starfleet takes the James Mattis approach, "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." I think the Federation has a sinister side but that's a bit far even for me.

There must have been some technical reason not to use it. It's the go to tactic for them.

They go straight to genocide every time. Jem-hedar need a compound to live??.... Nuke the only factory in the quadrant that can make it.

Bio engineer a weapon... Bit of time travel ... Wmds

Jeffrey combs feat. Ds9
    sorry.
    ACTING grand nagus brunt

Feeeemales!

I never liked this dax impostor

And i dont buy odo and kira at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

bluewolf wrote: »
    I never liked this dax impostor

If you're referring to ezri , she grew on me. Booking up with worf was daft though.

Just watching Emissary part 1 again.

It strikes me that not having Jennifer Sisko re-appear later as a drone is a massive missed opportunity.

She defo could be alive when Sisko leaves her.

Just watching Emissary part 1 again.

It strikes me that not having Jennifer Sisko re-appear later as a drone is a massive missed opportunity.

She defo could be alive when Sisko leaves her.
    There was no indication the Borg boarded the Saratoga, the warp core breach shortly after he left didn't leave much time for them to board, and the Borg usually grab healthy people for assimilation. Then again since the Borg never showed up on DS9 it's possible one of the Borg that did show up later on in TNG or Voyager was Jennifer Sisko and no recognised her because why would they?

There was no indication the Borg boarded the Saratoga, the warp core breach shortly after he left didn't leave much time for them to board, and the Borg usually grab healthy people for assimilation.

I should have been clearer. I meant a missed narrative opportunity.

Sisko comes to terms with the loss of his wife. He even to builds a bridge with Picard, the man he blames for murdering her.

From a storytelling point of view it would have been great to pull the carpet out from under that new healed Sisko.

It would have been a better way to explore the Borg as not a faceless force of nature, than the Queen/7/Janeway triangle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sure the Borg were just defending themselves from the relentless passive aggression of the Federation :pac:

Seriously though, while i'm glad they didn't bring in any Borg elements into DS9, they probably would have done a better job of it than they did in Voyager. It'd be interesting if the Dominion had any run ins with the Borg. Could a Changeling be assimilated?

I was just thinking if this did happen what would Sisko have done if he found out the Borg enslaved his wife? When he thought they killed his wife he got some big guns, strapped and engine to them, and called it a ship. He's already touchy about slavery so how far would he have gone if Jennifer was assimilated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Rawr

Kiith wrote: »
    Sure the Borg were just defending themselves from the relentless passive aggression of the Federation :pac:

Seriously though, while i'm glad they didn't bring in any Borg elements into DS9, they probably would have done a better job of it than they did in Voyager. It'd be interesting if the Dominion had any run ins with the Borg. Could a Changeling be assimilated?

I often wondered about the The Borg Vs. The Dominion.
    Some maps put the The Dominion not all at far from established Borg space (in relation to the reach of the Borg fleet).

galaxymap6.gif?w=648

I know that map is probably not cannon, but it gives an idea of how I'm thinking. I would expect that the Dominion would put up one hell of a fight against the Borg but would ultimately lose. The Dominion's military technology might attract an all out Borg invasion.

I have also sometimes wondered how a Borg attack on DS9 would play out. I often imagined a huge Borg cube just parking up beside the station and wearing down its defences. Then you'd end up with scenes similar to First Contact while the DS9 crew desperately try to isolate the Habitat Ring from the waves of Drones that streaming in via the Docking Ring.

I can't think of a way out that doesn't involve DS9 being destroyed so maybe that's why they never did that? I dunno... :D

Advertisement