Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Space Nine Runthrough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Just finished the Circle. Poor Kira, from the start saying a reverent goodbye to Sisco then mugged after some more spirituality. Verdic Bareel was more severe than I remember, must have been the soft lights and the closeups on the station later that made me think he was a love interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Still a great ending to DS9 after all these years. Nicely wraps up so much.

I'm not still a huge fan of the
    spiritual death of Sisko
    but it does match the overall tone of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I never really thought of this before but in the episode ''Melora'' when Melora Pazlar an Elaysian comes on board and needs a chair as she struggles to walk in artificial gravity does anyone else think it was strange that they did not have a hoverchair in the 24th century or even a chair with wheels that could go over obstacles?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

AMKC wrote: »
    I never really thought of this before but in the episode ''Melora'' when Melora Pazlar an Elaysian comes on board and needs a chair as she struggles to walk in artificial gravity does anyone else think it was strange that they did not have a hoverchair in the 24th century or even a chair with wheels that could go over obstacles?

Prob fine on a starship, but the Cardies didn't really build Terrok Nor with disability in mind. That said, a hover chair would have negated some of the issues yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Sure Spock had hover boots!

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Prob fine on a starship, but the Cardies didn't really build Terrok Nor with disability in mind. That said, a hover chair would have negated some of the issues yeah.

Not like we never saw the cargo pallet trucks with anti grav either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

They've had them before:

latest?cb=20120804213944&path-prefix=en

Seems odd that they forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Maybe she didn't want to be seen in something that ugly? Actually it looks more like a mobile port-a-loo. His face and Riker's face seem to align with that.

Stark wrote: »
    Maybe she didn't want to be seen in something that ugly?

Maybe they had a "Sports Model"? The one there looks like some kind of generic Starfleet-issue hover-chair, designed to blend in with the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

They had trouble getting Federation anti-grav technology to work on DS9, they mention it in the episode.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Evade wrote: »
    They had trouble getting Federation anti-grav technology to work on DS9, they mention it in the episode.

Strange that as in the next episode the one that was on today Quark gets knocked out and what do they use but a hover bed. Maybe they figured it out or got some from somewhere else that worked on DS9.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Early in development of DS9 there was plans to have a similar character: One from a planet with less gravity and part of her character would have been how they accommodate her. But apparently people came up with the same answers really: In the 25th Century they should have no real issues accommodating her and you would then lose half her character arc.

Ms

Early in development of DS9 there was plans to have a similar character: One from a planet with less gravity and part of her character would have been how they accommodate her. But apparently people came up with the same answers really: In the 25th Century they should have no real issues accommodating her and you would then lose half her character arc.

Actually they done a very good version of the on The Orville with one of the officers. I could say but do not want to ruin it for anyone that has not seen it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think I posted in this thread before that I was never crazy about DS9 but I was give a runthrough a go. I got a bit sidetracked since :D but with Picard finished I picked it up again near the middle of S2.

I've been following an episode list from geek.com designed to keep you on track with the storyline while getting through it as quickly as possible.

It worked pretty well up to around the middle of S5. Before that I could tell I was missing bits and pieces, but nothing jarring. In the second half of S5 the gaps started getting bigger.
    I went from "Worf arrives on DS9" to "Worf ad Dax are getting married" in about 10 episodes. When did Nog come back? Kira's pregnant?! With O'Brien's baby? WTF? Wait, Odo loves Kira...what the hell is going on?!

So I started the first episode of S6 last night, but I think I'm going to go back to the start of S4, fill in all of the missing pieces for myself before watching S6 & 7 all the way through. Speedrunning through it is leaving out the subtle pieces of character development, and it's breaking the immersion for me.

I do know now though why as a young teenager I didn't like DS9. I only watched bits of the first 3 seasons before Voyager arrived. Those seasons are heavy on Bajoran politics and the humdrum of life on a space station. Yawnfest when you're 13/14. So I gave up.

I get it now though why people love it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Speed running is probably okay up till the later episodes of S2. After that, it's worth watching in its entirety. Even the Ferengi episodes are well written from S3 on. And yeah, you need the immersion. I hated the show on first run. Became a convert in the Netflix years when I could watch the complete series in order.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

you cannot speed run through DS9, the show with the best character and also secondary characters, the sub plots from the cardassian turmoil to the goings on with bajor.

any wonder you claimed it was not your favorite when you are basing your opinion on skipping through episodes.

I was not fond of discovery, but will watch the show in its entirety before making a judgement based on a few random episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

any wonder you claimed it was not your favorite when you are basing your opinion on skipping through episodes.
    To be fair, I was basing my opinion on having seen chunks of the first 3 seasons as a kid.

Even speedrunning through the rest, I'm thoroughly enjoying it and realising what I've been missing.

seamus wrote: »
    To be fair, I was basing my opinion on having seen chunks of the first 3 seasons as a kid.

Even speedrunning through the rest, I'm thoroughly enjoying it and realising what I've been missing.

I would stop before delving into the last season, and watch it through from the start and you will appreciate the 6th and 7th season, which would have to be watched in full due to all the arcs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’m currently watching two episodes a day as they are on SyFy every weekday. Same goes for TNG and Voyager. All of them are there or thereabouts at the start of season 7 so great time to watch them.

Deep Space Nine is just amazing from around season 4 onwards. I was watching an episode earlier and I realised mostly every character evolves in a positive way. Even smaller characters like Rom become so loveable. There’s only one character that falls by the wayside for me, that’s Jadzia Dax. She was just written so blandly. Always there with a smug “know it all” attitude but never really contributed much in my eyes. She plays the Deanna Troi role, where she helps the Captain make a seemingly tough decision by giving simple advice.

But the one character that is for me the best Star Trek villain of all time is Gul Dukat. He is almost a main character from start to finish in such that he pops up so often. What other Star Trek franchise had a villain present for its entire run.

GSPfan wrote: »
    I’m currently watching two episodes a day as they are on SyFy every weekday. Same goes for TNG and Voyager. All of them are there or thereabouts at the start of season 7 so great time to watch them.

Deep Space Nine is just amazing from around season 4 onwards. I was watching an episode earlier and I realised mostly every character evolves in a positive way. Even smaller characters like Rom become so loveable. There’s only one character that falls by the wayside for me, that’s Jadzia Dax. She was just written so blandly. Always there with a smug “know it all” attitude but never really contributed much in my eyes. She plays the Deanna Troi role, where she helps the Captain make a seemingly tough decision by giving simple advice.

But the one character that is for me the best Star Trek villain of all time is Gul Dukat. He is almost a main character from start to finish in such that he pops up so often. What other Star Trek franchise had a villain present for its entire run.

Terry Farrell was having contact problems as early as season 5 so in a way the writers were not going to really give her any more development I think unless they knew her future.

As for secondary character, the list of those with depth is huge.

Characters like Dukat, Garak, Rom, Martok, Kai Winn, Eddington and , Weyoun had more depth some some of the main characters on the other shows.

I did a photoshop pic of the stars of DS9 and had to round it down to 22 characters, that is how much depth there was.

• Advertisement

Terry Farrell was having contact problems as early as season 5 so in a way the writers were not going to really give her any more development I think unless they knew her future.

As for secondary character, the list of those with depth is huge.

Characters like Dukat, Garak, Rom, Martok, Kai Winn, Eddington and , Weyoun had more depth some some of the main characters on the other shows.

I did a photoshop pic of the stars of DS9 and had to round it down to 22 characters, that is how much depth there was.

You gotta understand Robert Beltran's frustration, with him seeing what even secondary characters got, in DS9.

Hell; tertiary characters like Morn, Zek, Brunt, Ishka got more character development, in a few episodes, than most of the Voyager got in 7 years (Even Morn, with far too much dialogue)

GSPfan wrote: »

I always liked Dax. Supremely confident yet, at times troubled, by the vast knowledge and and experiences of past hosts.

Always found her a steadying character with her been through this before attidute

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I always liked Dax. Supremely confident yet, at times troubled, by the vast knowledge and and experiences of past hosts.

Always found her a steadying character with her been through this before attidute

Ah no I think they missed an opportunity to evolve her. As you say she has all this knowledge and experience and her role on the ship is what? Like what is she good at? She’s Sigorny Weavers character in Galaxy Quest. :)

She could have easily been promoted out of her science officer position into a command role as that would be believable. What growth did she achieve from episode one to the end? I don’t think Terry Farrell was a bad actor, she’s a beautiful woman, they just had her being the snooty know it all who gets to call her Captain by his first name.

To sum up, I didn’t dislike the actor, didn’t dislike Jadzia Dax the character, but disliked the fact she has no real role to play for the entire show. She’s supposed to be DS9’s Troi is all I can assume. Counsel the Captain, look pretty, be there to make up the numbers.

I’m nit picking by the way, I love DS9.

Careful not to spoil anything for people who haven’t seen it if you reply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You see a trend from DS9, to Voyager into Enterprise. Each had characters who gave off the distinct smell of starting off from a studio mandate: "we need one to be a beautiful woman", the writers hamstrung from there. DS9 had the advantage of possessing vastly superior writers that they could work around this obvious crutch - even if Dax was never allowed to properly grow.

Again, I suspect this was studio interference: bar a couple of episodes the aspect of her previous existences never properly took shape. I liked the character's charisma & the romance with Worf was compelling, but she definitely had less fundamental growth than the rest. There were some interesting avenues they could have explored as someone with previous lives & genders, but I suspect the appetite wasn't there to blaze a trail that pronounced. This was the 90s after all, and the token Beautiful Woman had to get the Dad / Horny Teen demographic in the door. Can't' be reminding them too often she used to be a crotchety old man :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    Can't' be reminding them too often she used to be a crotchety old man :D
    Didn't they do that in almost every episode?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Evade wrote: »
    Didn't they do that in almost every episode?

Sisko's pet name wasn't really what I was gunning for, and the comment was mostly in jest. Dax was "the hot one" seemingly demanded of Trek in that era.

pixelburp wrote: »
    This was the 90s after all, and the token Beautiful Woman had to get the Dad / Horny Teen demographic in the door. Can't' be reminding them too often she used to be a crotchety old man :D

Part of me is starting to wonder if the DS9 writers were following their Network mandates...but at the same time trolling them a bit:

Directive: Must have woman in catsuit
    Result: Catsuit applied to tomboyish militant

Directive: Must have attractive bridge officer on crew
    Result: Attractive bridge officer has the mind of an old man who died getting laid.

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just watching the Ep where Dax dies.
    Dukat beams in (dominion transport beam) kills Dax and beams out with the same effect.

Then he's chatting with Weyoun and Damar but the displays/tech behind him is all starfleet.

Not sure how that made it past the editors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Dukat beams in (dominion transport beam) kills Dax and beams out with the same effect.

Then he's chatting with Weyoun and Damar but the displays/tech behind him is all starfleet.

Great space battle though

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

He's still in the Starfleet shuttle from Waltz. He could have picked up a Dominion transporter or since it's Dukat be so absolutely paranoid that he has his own secret Dominion transporter he can dial up from any subspace radio.

Advertisement