Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Space Nine Runthrough

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

DS9 might be standard definition but most of its FX shots still hold up in their own right. Bar upscaling I don't believe much would be needed compared with TNG. A few of the explosions in space looked a bit "copy and paste" but other than that I was impressed how well it held up when I watched the series last. Spare a thought instead for Babylon 5 fans, more needing of a remaster but can never happen because (IIRC) they composited the FX directly onto the source footage. There's no original video with the blue/green screens in existence to start over on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

have you seen "what we left behind" ?
    The space battle scene that was upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

As I was saying in another thread, where some poster here is trying to upscale DS9, the TNG high-def version doesn't work for me.

TNG was never high budget production in the first place, and when you see it in hi-def, I don't think it works. Case in point, Data's makeup. It just makes the makeup more obvious.

Likewise the opening TNG credits look more artificial. It just looks more like a computer graphic that it ever did. Whether it is in fact a miniature or a comp graphic or a combination of, I don't know. All I do know is to my eye it doesn't work, because the more you notice of the artificial effect's the more it distracts you from the drama, and that's hardly worthwhile then is it.

AllForIt wrote: »
    As I was saying in another thread, where some poster here is trying to upscale DS9, the TNG high-def version doesn't work for me.

TNG was never high budget production in the first place, and when you see it in hi-def, I don't think it works. Case in point, Data's makeup. It just makes the makeup more obvious.

Likewise the opening TNG credits look more artificial. It just looks more like a computer graphic that it ever did. Whether it is in fact a miniature or a comp graphic or a combination of, I don't know. All I do know is to my eye it doesn't work, because the more you notice of the artificial effect's the more it distracts you from the drama, and that's hardly worthwhile then is it.

TNG not high budget?

It was one of the highest on TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

A lot of the uniforms don't look great in higher definition either. At least they kept the original aspect ratio unlike Buffy, for example, where they made it 16:9 and you can see crew, equipment, and actors waiting to walk into frame now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

have you seen "what we left behind" ?
    The space battle scene that was upgraded.

I saw the battle, and while impressive wasn't the kind of transformative leap seen with the TNG remaster (or indeed the TOS remaster). DS9's FX stills holds up enough that the spell was never broken for me, and like Evade said one flaw I found with the TNG remaster was the higher definition just called attention to the shoddiness of the sets and costumes. I'd argue not everything should be upscaled if it makes things look cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Having dipped in and out of trek in the 90s I'm doing a "watch everything in US broadcast order," from TOS through TNG and I'm currently on DS9 4/VOY 2. Overall I'm enjoying it, though there does tend to be the odd plothole, like when early on Picards ex girlfriend turns up in a shuttle with life support barely working. You see O'Brien struggling with the doors and I'm just thinking why haven't they beamed her out. There's a lot of inconsistentcy when it comes to using transporters on DS9 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm sorry but there is no way TNG could be called low budgets, the sets, wardrobe, make up and effects were all state of the art at the time and it was one of the most expensive shows on TV and it rose to $2m per episode by 1992.

I woudl disagree with your views on the HD remaster. I think it looks great and see no issues with Data's make up. Probably looked better than he did in the recent Picard episodes.

flazio wrote: »
    Having dipped in and out of trek in the 90s I'm doing a "watch everything in US broadcast order," from TOS through TNG and I'm currently on DS9 4/VOY 2. Overall I'm enjoying it, though there does tend to be the odd plothole, like when early on Picards ex girlfriend turns up in a shuttle with life support barely working. You see O'Brien struggling with the doors and I'm just thinking why haven't they beamed her out. There's a lot of inconsistentcy when it comes to using transporters on DS9 I think.

I think transporters have often been a problem with ST as there are many situations that could be resolved quickly with the technology they had on hand but for some reason they didn't do it.

All done for the story and just best to let it go and enjoy it.

I never watch films or TV shows looking for various plot holes. Just enjoy good stories and characters which older Star Trek series had and that means I'm prepared to let a lot of things go.

I cannot say that about any ST productoin since 2009 though.

I come for the viewpoint that there is nothing with the official "Star Trek" name attached that I don't like. (well maybe the motion picture) Abrams, Disco, Picard, TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9 VOY, it's all good. Not got to Enterprise yet and didn't really see it when it aired so that may yet all change.

• Advertisement

Binging DS9 in the last week and getting to like and know Odo better as a character with each episode.

Read up about the actor and was saddened to learn that Rene Auberjonois passed away in December. Didn't see it mentioned here.

Link

I come for the viewpoint that there is nothing with the official "Star Trek" name attached that I don't like. (well maybe the motion picture) Abrams, Disco, Picard, TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9 VOY, it's all good. Not got to Enterprise yet and didn't really see it when it aired so that may yet all change.

I personally think JJ Abrams films,Picard and STD (Yes, you read that right) are awful and not really Star Trek in its true meaning at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

murpho999 wrote: »
    Binging DS9 in the last week and getting to like and know Odo better as a character with each episode.

Read up about the actor and was saddened to learn that Rene Auberjonois passed away in December. Didn't see it mentioned here.

Link

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058037095

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Smegging hell

I'm watching DS9 for the first time and wow, the start of season four is excellent with The Way of the Warrior and the Visitor. Two great episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No way you can not like "The Motion Picture" it has one of the best introductions to a ship in space dock in any Star Trek series or film ever. It's a beautifull film. Yes it moves slow but that just means you get to relax and enjoy it more and it brings all the original series cast back together. What is not to like? Truthfully do it really needs to be seen and heard in s cinems. I am so glad I got to see it in a Cinema a few years ago and bonus for it was free as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Enterprise was slated when it came out.

But now in hindsight, after seeing Burham dominate Discovery, Picard fail to deliver, Lower Decks just complete rubbish, Enterprise is almost brilliant in comparison.

Enterprise moved up the list without doing anything because those that followed were even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

AMKC wrote: »
    No way you can not like "The Motion Picture" it has one of the best introductions to a ship in space dock in any Star Trek series or film ever. It's a beautifull film. Yes it moves slow but that just means you get to relax and enjoy it more and it brings all the original series cast back together. What is not to like? Truthfully do it really needs to be seen and heard in s cinems. I am so glad I got to see it in a Cinema a few years ago and bonus for it was free as well.

Given it's reputation it was surprising to learn that The Motion Picture was really successful when it came out. People must have been really hungry for a Trek movie :)

I was never a massive fan of it before, but in more recent re-watches I have learned to appreciate the film for what it appears to be. They did a really job of making space appear to be huge, dark, and mysterious. I never really felt that way in Star Trek before or since.

It was a very slow film, arguably way too slow, but it did an excellent job at setting a tone and feel. I think seeing this one at a cinema would have been a treat.

was never a fan of the movies, for me it was always the shows.But that is not just reserved for trek, I prefer a tv series over any movie in that the time helps for character development.
    With things like netflix theses days where there are so many decent shows to binge watch, movies seem less important than ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

AMKC wrote: »

Really! Where was that?

I think cinemas could make a lot of wonga playing older movies.

I loved The Motion Picture years ago when I watched it on my first large screen TV, in the aspect ratio it was intended, and in high-def. The score is pretty good as well.

And and, Spock was in best Vulcan mode in that movie. I liked him more when he was less human. I love the scene where he comes on board and doesn't react at all to the emotional reaction to him rejoining the crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'm watching DS9 for the first time and wow, the start of season four is excellent with The Way of the Warrior and the Visitor. Two great episodes.

Man, I envy you. You are in for a treat. Four more seasons of the best Trek? Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Really! Where was that?

I think cinemas could make a lot of wonga playing older movies.

I loved The Motion Picture years ago when I watched it on my first large screen TV, in the aspect ratio it was intended, and in high-def. The score is pretty good as well.

And and, Spock was in best Vulcan mode in that movie. I liked him more when he was less human. I love the scene where he comes on board and doesn't react at all to the emotional reaction to him rejoining the crew.

It was in the IFI cinema. The Wrath of Khan was on the Lighthouse not long after that but I did not get to that unfortunatly.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

imagine DS9 in hi def in the cinema........now that would be sweet

I wonder if Colm Meaney ever got any hassle for some of the things O'Brien had done on DS9?
    I'm thinking of singing well known English sports anthem Jerusalem in one episode as his drunk go to and coming out of the holo suite having played a pilot in the Battle of Britain. I for one wouldn't care less but I know that some of our more patriotic viewers might take credence with an Irish man being portrayed this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I wonder if Colm Meaney ever got any hassle for some of the things O'Brien had done on DS9?
    I'm thinking of singing well known English sports anthem Jerusalem in one episode as his drunk go to and coming out of the holo suite having played a pilot in the Battle of Britain. I for one wouldn't care less but I know that some of our more patriotic viewers might take credence with an Irish man being portrayed this way.

He gets a free pass because :

1) that brilliant scene singing 'The Minstrel Boy' with Captain Maxwell in TNG

2) he got the word Boll0cks in DS9

3) also his character suffered a lot in the show.

4) he spoke with his normal Dublin accent as an intelligent hard working family man. Wasnt some tap dancing drunk with a straw hat.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

He gets a free pass because :

1) that brilliant scene singing 'The Minstrel Boy' with Captain Maxwell in TNG

I’m not going to win this one, am I Miles?

(Classic stuff :D )

And the real kicker was Maxwell was right.

It's funny thinking back that even pre-DS9 O'Brien was a better developed character that anyone in the new stuff.

EDIT: Although maybe it's not surprising, I looked it up he was in 52 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Evade wrote: »
    And the real kicker was Maxwell was right.

It's funny thinking back that even pre-DS9 O'Brien was a better developed character that anyone in the new stuff.

EDIT: Although maybe it's not surprising, I looked it up he was in 52 episodes.

That was a great episode though. Feck it, im going to watch it now on the second screen while i get some work done! :D

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Smegging hell

The episode 'Bar Association' where he fought as Brian Boru and then got into a fight with Worf for crossing a picket line at Quark's makes up for it. Also, presumably Irish nationalism isn't as important in the 24th century given Ireland was reunited in 2024 and Earth's nation states have been abolished by O'Brien's time.

That was a great episode though. Feck it, im going to watch it now on the second screen while i get some work done! :D
    I watched it too, it's just so good. Who would have thought the aliens of the week Soviet analogues would have such a major role down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just finishing off a rerun of the whole series, S6E24 Time's orphan

Chief O'Brien : "Ahhh bollocks"

Wonder what the americans made of that :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement