Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Space Nine Runthrough

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

The cardessians were great crack. You could imagine having a pint with them. Very wry humour. Bar dax you would avoid the rest at a party . Well maybe not Kiera or Quark

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The cardessians were great crack. You could imagine having a pint with them. Very wry humour. Bar dax you would avoid the rest at a party . Well maybe not Kiera or Quark

Ah O'Brien would be good for a pint. Quark too.

Jadzia definitely.. not so much Ezri

Worf if you want to get hammered on bloodwine! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Worf if you want to get hammered on bloodwine! :p
    Yeah Worf would be a handful on a night out.

Bouncer: Sorry mate your not getting in tonight.
    Work: *picks bouncer up by his neck* I'm on holidays, I'll do as I please!

I was never impressed with inside decor of station. Really tacky. Fashion was pure **** for all non star fleet.

Buying a ds9 novel unity that deals with life there post end of series

Though Kira had a nice outfit! If you get my drift

• Advertisement

Season 1 ep 09?? Not bloody likely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

Just finished my own run through. I'm a big proponent of "each to their own", though there's one exception - DS9. If you don't like it, you're wrong (:p). Hands down the best in the franchise. The finale is nothing short of exceptional viewing. Bloody thing gets me every time...

6782c051d9971e20fc52c977f901ed59.jpg

They made one mistake in the entire show, when Farrell left at the end of Season 6, they should have left it at that for Dax. Shoe-horning in Ezri just didn't work, and several episodes were wasted trying to character develop her; over a single season, with so much else going on, that was never going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Just noticed Mike Ehrmantraut from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul in a minor role in season 1!

latest?cb=20070520172136&path-prefix=de

what's weirder is that he uses the exact same drawl as in BB/BCS. No half measures, Dukat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Oh Dear. After watching TNG again I moved onto Ds9, and having just watched 0702 Shadows n Symbols, I just have to say it's pretty much stupid bullsheet.

I prefer TNG easily

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Liamalone wrote: »
    Oh Dear. After watching TNG again I moved onto Ds9, and having just watched 0702 Shadows n Symbols, I just have to say it's pretty much stupid bullsheet.

I prefer TNG easily

Funny that it only took you SEVEN seasons to figure it out :D

• Advertisement

And get it wrong!!

Six seasons really:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Liamalone wrote: »
    Six seasons really:D
    Ye should watch the rest of that last season, it's worth it

Ye should watch the rest of that last season, it's worth it

I shall stick it out to the bitter end!

If you aren't a fan by S7, you never will be. S6 is actually stronger than S7 for the most part I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Just finished the run-through. What a great show. The battle scene were more frequent and more impressive than I remember. There were some great characters, nuanced, sometimes you hated them, sometimes you liked them. Some quite progressive/controversial stuff too. Much bolder than VOY and even TNG.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I finished TNG and figured while I was on a roll, to jump straight into DS9. The difference is so stark it's easy to see why the initial response was a little tepid. It's chalk and cheese really, and in the small sample of the first 3/4 episodes there's so much more going on with the characters & arcs. It just feels a little better thought through & ... grown-up, for want of a better word.

Oh DS9 is definitely a lot more grown-up than TNG. In the first season alone you have one of the most heartbreaking episodes of many TV shows in Duet. If you haven't seen it yet... I won't say much, but it is amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh DS9 is definitely a lot more grown-up than TNG. In the first season alone you have one of the most heartbreaking episodes of many TV shows in Duet. If you haven't seen it yet... I won't say much, but it is amazing.

Nope, I only finished 'Q-Less' yesterday, which did feel like a bit desperate cry of "hey TNG fans, look, we got Q!" and tonally very off from the rest of the DS9 episodes so far.

One big thing you notice going from TNG to DS9 is how better served the characters are by the scripts - especially the female ones. Troi & Crusher couldn't buy a script that didn't lump them into some tedious & cringy romance, yet immediately Kira gets a meaty episode testing her political loyalties and terrorist past. So much better.

Also: the Quark - Odo double act. Even this early in the series it's already fantastic. Outside of the holy trinity, I'd argue it's one of the best character combinations in TV Trek...

^^ Have you not seen DS9 yet at all?? If not, you're in for a serious treat over the next few weeks...

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    ^^ Have you not seen DS9 yet at all?? If not, you're in for a serious treat over the next few weeks...

I've seen it in fits & starts, an episode here or there and mostly in the latter seasons. Certainly never saw it fully or from the start & based on these first few episodes there'll be a lot to love.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've seen it in fits & starts, an episode here or there and mostly in the latter seasons. Certainly never saw it fully or from the start & based on these first few episodes there'll be a lot to love.

Oh there is, it's the best of the franchise for me anyway. The quality and diversity of the characters has yet to be matched in Trek.

Oh there is, it's the best of the franchise for me anyway. The quality and diversity of the characters has yet to be matched in Trek.

In fairness, I do feel like the players in the new Trek movie franchise are getting that way - they're nowhere near as diverse, but the actors & their chemistry do rival the likes of Kira & Odo, Bashir & O'Brien, others.

In fairness, I do feel like the players in the new Trek movie franchise are getting that way - they're nowhere near as diverse, but the actors & their chemistry do rival the likes of Kira & Odo, Bashir & O'Brien, others.

I will grant they've managed a great chemistry in those films, only with Kirk, Spock, and Bones though...everyone else is just good at best. The thing is though, it's a recreation of an already existing chemistry.

I dunno.. there's also Scotty and whatever that weird eyed yolk is.

I dunno.. there's also Scotty and whatever that weird eyed yolk is.

Scotty is dreadful in the new movies, and I say that as a fan of Simon Pegg. Ds9 has fantastic characters coming out of its lower pylons...Quark, Garak, O'Brien, Jadzia, Kira, Dukat, Brunt, Weyoun...I could go on

Scotty is dreadful in the new movies, and I say that as a fan of Simon Pegg. Ds9 has fantastic characters coming out of its lower pylons...Quark, Garak, O'Brien, Jadzia, Kira, Dukat, Brunt, Weyoun...I could go on

I think Pegg's take is pretty decent. Something to remember is that Scotty was a Canadian doing a Scottish person. So Pegg is an English person doing a Canadian person doing a Scottish person.

I think Pegg's take is pretty decent. Something to remember is that Scotty was a Canadian doing a Scottish person. So Pegg is an English person doing a Canadian person doing a Scottish person.

The main three nailed it, perhaps Pegg just didn't have much to go on considering Scotty wasn't a very developed or complex character. It doesn't come across in any way that I'm watching the Scotty character when I watch Pegg though...

Pegg does a descent job. There is a Star trek fan series where Scott'y's son plays-Scotty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

It was a slow burner at first. In fact a bit crap. Bad acting to. Specially the Doc Julian.

But it became excellent when they took advantage of the worm hole and the dominion came into it. Defiant still gives me hairs on the back of my neck. Way of the warrior. One of the best episodes in Star Trek ever.

Advertisement