Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Space Nine Runthrough

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Way of the warrior. One of the best episodes in Star Trek ever.

Today is a good day to die

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

It was a slow burner at first. In fact a bit crap. Bad acting to. Specially he Doc Julian.

But it because excellent when they took advantage of the worm hole and the dominion came into it. Defiant still gives me hairs on the back of my next. Way of the warrior. One of the best episodes in Star Trek ever.

Alexander Siddig was like a parody of an actor, made Bashir sometimes wooden, sometimes melodramatic. He has calmed down a bit now and was better in Game of Thrones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

DS9 would have been a lot different if they didn't bring in that rule that you actually have to show space battles instead of just shaking the cameras on the bridge set.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was a slow burner at first. In fact a bit crap. Bad acting to. Specially he Doc Julian.

But it because excellent when they took advantage of the worm hole and the dominion came into it. Defiant still gives me hairs on the back of my next. Way of the warrior. One of the best episodes in Star Trek ever.

In fairness to Siddig, the material he has in those first episodes is awful. Real sleezebag stuff leering after Dax with schoolboy charisma. 'No' obviously not always meaning 'no' in some corners of the Federation. Presumably / hopefully that disappears as episodes tick onwards cos for now it's creepy stuff if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I have just started into season 7 in my runthrough.

I have to agree with what many have said, this is probably the best Star Trek series all around. Like any of the other series there are some truly dreadful episodes scattered throughout but overall there is far more good than bad and the long multi-episode arcs really allow time to develop the characters.

Where it really shines is in the supporting cast, many of whom are far more interesting than the main characters. Sisko is ridiculously over-acted. Bashir is annoying as hell for the first few seasons and then just settles down into smarmy mode. Other than looking good, Jadzia Dax was never interesting. I was sick to death of Worf and his Klingon stuff after TNG.

Whereas some of the best stories, performances and characterisation revolved around O'Brien, Quark, Nog, Dukat and Garak.

I have to admit I have a soft spot for any episode involving the Ferengi.

I should be finished DS9 in a couple of weeks and then it is on to Enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I should be finished DS9 in a couple of weeks and then it is on to Enterprise.

Ouch :o

Inviere wrote: »
    Ouch :o

It's better than the option of straight into Voyager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Definitely

Edit: Particularly season 3 and 4

Really? Can't say I'd agree now...Enterprise is horrendous until the third season. Not that Voyager is much better by then, but it is :D

In the last couple of years I have gone through all of TOS, TAS, TNG, VOY and all the films. So once I finish DS9 then I have no choice but to watch Enterprise. I'm not looking forward to it but I have to finish them all.

• Advertisement

Enterprise really is such a disappointment when you consider that for the longest time it was the last of the TV franchises. Hopefully Discovery gets back to it being good.

I'm not looking forward to it but I have to finish them all.

It's going to be a very, very hard landing coming from the glorious heights of DS9, to the start of Enterprise...but I suspect it won't be as bad as you think it'll be. I rewatched it last year, and it was an absolute slog, couldn't wait to finish it. Even the much better Seasons 3 & 4 didn't redeem it for me (I previously was a defender of Enterprise, but it just hasn't aged well at all).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

After such a strong start I figured I was due a clunker, and looks like I hit upon one that appears on many peoples' "worst of" lists, "Move Along Home". It actually felt like something from TNG Season 1/2 it was that bad.

Just looked it up. What an awful episode that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

pixelburp wrote: »
    After such a strong start I figured I was due a clunker, and looks like I hit upon one that appears on many peoples' "worst of" lists, "Move Along Home". It actually felt like something from TNG Season 1/2 it was that bad.

Sisko singing was pretty horrific, also Bashir's screaming himself awake technique.. dire

Finished the season 2 opening 3-parter, and it felt like the first time the show started to play with broader arcs. Stakes felt more immediate and costly, allegiances forming n all that, even if the status quo was restored by the end. It is infinitely more interesting to watch the Federation butting heads with civilisations taking a dim view to its benevolent clout.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm also running through DS9 again. I didn't like it first time round.

Have to say it is a poor show with episodes of tat, pure tat. The stories are so weak and superficial. S4 E1 next.

Just recently watched the episode where Quarks mother was caught wearing clothes and making profit - Jesus it's the worst episode of anything I've ever seen.

I'll keep going but it's odd rewatching a show you didn't like first time round, not really enjoying it second time round either, but continuing to watch it anyway out of some sense of duty to see it through !!

Prior to this I rewatched TNG and loved it as much as before, I was genuinely sad when I came to the end. It has a broader spectrum of strong characters with better stories to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Finished the season 2 opening 3-parter, and it felt like the first time the show started to play with broader arcs. Stakes felt more immediate and costly, allegiances forming n all that, even if the status quo was restored by the end. It is infinitely more interesting to watch the Federation butting heads with civilisations taking a dim view to its benevolent clout.

In the immortal words of Bachman Turner Overdrive, "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet"... Season 2 finale onwards is really where Deep Space Nine hits the ground running and aside from a few dodgy episodes here and there Season 3-7 just completely eclipse the first 2 Seasons (even though there's some quality episodes in those early seasons).

Just my own opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

_Brian wrote: »
    I'm also running through DS9 again. I didn't like it first time round.

Have to say it is a poor show with episodes of tat, pure tat. The stories are so weak and superficial. S4 E1 next.

Just recently watched the episode where Quarks mother was caught wearing clothes and making profit - Jesus it's the worst episode of anything I've ever seen.

I'll keep going but it's odd rewatching a show you didn't like first time round, not really enjoying it second time round either, but continuing to watch it anyway out of some sense of duty to see it through !!

Prior to this I rewatched TNG and loved it as much as before, I was genuinely sad when I came to the end. It has a broader spectrum of strong characters with better stories to follow.

I agree with everything here. What nearly broke me was Singing Seb Fontaine, the holosuite character who somehow deserved to be treated as a humanoid. I persevered however.

Should've seen it coming after Sisko's initial encounter with the Prophets. They were doubting him and his intentions and this intense to and fro ensued with Sisko defending humanity, all is good. Then, the Cardassians enter into the wormhole, I anticipate some three way conflict/debate as to who is righteous but alas, no, it isn't to be.

Cut to Sisko emerging from wormhole with a latinum medal around his neck. Sigh.

• Advertisement

It's not really the first time a holographic character was treated as a humanoid. Moriarty in TNG was essentially the same. And then the doctor in Voyager afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's not really the first time a holographic character was treated as a humanoid. Moriarty in TNG was essentially the same. And then the doctor in Voyager afterwards.
    It doesn't really make much sense either. This is data, one of the only sentient androids ever created, starfleet studied him but couldn't figure it out and we can't really replicate him.

Here's a number of holodeck characters from a classic novel, they accidentally became sentient, for some reason we can't seem to figure out. These other holodeck programs just seem to spontaneously become sentient if we leave them on for too long. Still can't make any more data's or purposely make a sentient program.

Star trek writers could do with a crash course in many things from basic science, to programing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

ScumLord wrote: »
    It doesn't really make much sense either. This is data, one of the only sentient androids ever created, starfleet studied him but couldn't figure it out and we can't really replicate him.

Here's a number of holodeck characters from a classic novel, they accidentally became sentient, for some reason we can't seem to figure out. These other holodeck programs just seem to spontaneously become sentient if we leave them on for too long. Still can't make any more data's or purposely make a sentient program.

Star trek writers could do with a crash course in many things from basic science, to programing.
    I think the issue with Androids is form factor. With the exception of the Doc's 29th century mobile emitter the computers running holographic simulations are big.

The reason the Moriarty came to be could have been the result of the Binar messing with the holodeck in 11001001 to create a very realistic hologram to distract Riker.

Leaving an AI on for a long time and it gaining sentience is practically as old as sci fi itself.

ScumLord wrote: »

How do you mean sentient in this instance? Do you mean that they have knowledge about the fact that they're holograms?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Seb Fontaine could sing a choon though, oh he could sing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

_Brian wrote: »

I actually like that episode - but if you hated it, just wait until you get to "Profit and Lace"...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

or 'The Magnificent Ferengi'!

That was the best of the lot imo, Iggy Pop was in it!

The Ferengi episodes are the most fun. They aren't classic science fiction but they are among the most enjoyable. Quark, Nog, Rom and especially Brunt are always good for a laugh.

The Ferengi episodes are the most fun. They aren't classic science fiction but they are among the most enjoyable. Quark, Nog, Rom and especially Brunt are always good for a laugh.

And bizarrely it's a comedy Ferengi episode that first name-dropped The Dominion; "Rules of Acquisition" specifically. Never realised that, crazy how and where the first seeds were sewn, given everything that eventually happens.

The Ferengi episodes I kinda love/hate; they're obviously played for laughs and can be a fun chuckle, but comedy on Star Trek has a tendency to stray too far towards pantomime. And as much as I love Wallace Shawn from The Princess Bride, his Ferengi voice is ear-splitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

And bizarrely it's a comedy Ferengi episode that first name-dropped The Dominion; "Rules of Acquisition" specifically. Never realised that, crazy how and where the first seeds were sewn, given everything that eventually happens.

The Ferengi episodes I kinda love/hate; they're obviously played for laughs and can be a fun chuckle, but comedy on Star Trek has a tendency to stray too far towards pantomime. And as much as I love Wallace Shawn from The Princess Bride, his Ferengi voice is ear-splitting.

Little Green Men is the only Ferengi-Heavy episode I can think of right now that I really liked

Advertisement