Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Space Nine Runthrough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

pixelburp wrote: »
    And bizarrely it's a comedy Ferengi episode that first name-dropped The Dominion; "Rules of Acquisition" specifically. Never realised that, crazy how and where the first seeds were sewn, given everything that eventually happens.

The Ferengi episodes I kinda love/hate; they're obviously played for laughs and can be a fun chuckle, but comedy on Star Trek has a tendency to stray too far towards pantomime. And as much as I love Wallace Shawn from The Princess Bride, his Ferengi voice is ear-splitting.

thought he was brilliant,

Neeehehehehehehe QUARK you little toad! Bring me my BEATLESNUFF :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I actually quite liked most of the Ferengi episodes. Thought they were pretty funny (Amazing to see how the Ferengi have changed over the years from their first appearance in TNG to DS9).

They had some of the funniest lines:

From The Emperor's New Cloak:
    Ezri Tigan: If you're found in Alliance territory without the cloaking device, you're dead.
    Quark: Are you suggesting we should go back home?
    Ezri Tigan: It's the smart move.
    Quark: Do we look smart to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Anything with Quark in it wa generally good. He was a fine actor and the most HU-MAN of them all

Been watching Season 6 on the Horror channel. Its a generally atrocious channel-highlights include the Land if the Giants and Hobo with a shotgun.

Anyway-I just want to note I enjoy the spiritual side of DS9. I am of Bajor. We are of Bajor. About to be invaded by a Dominion fleet. No problem? The fleet is gone. I suppose Trek has its share of Aliens who protect weaker races. There was one on TOS as well if I recall it. But I think DS9 has a pretty positive view of religion or spirituality. In no way does it promote current faiths just the Bajorans are religious thats all and that provided them with some meaning. Though you could argue that Star trek itself promotes a secular non materialism which is quite positive,

Being of a spiritual bent myself I enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Been watching Season 6 on the Horror channel. Its a generally atrocious channel-highlights include the Land if the Giants and Hobo with a shotgun.

Anyway-I just want to note I enjoy the spiritual side of DS9. I am of Bajor. We are of Bajor. About to be invaded by a Dominion fleet. No problem? The fleet is gone. I suppose Trek has its share of Aliens who protect weaker races. There was one on TOS as well if I recall it. But I think DS9 has a pretty positive view of religion or spirituality. In no way does it promote current faiths just the Bajorans are religious thats all and that provided them with some meaning. Though you could argue that Star trek itself promotes a secular non materialism which is quite positive,

Being of a spiritual bent myself I enjoy it.

I think the reason that it was easier to get on board with the religion of the Bajorans is because they worshipped entities that actually existed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I was always put off by the Ferengi in this show - do they feature a lot ?

JayRoc wrote: »
    I think the reason that it was easier to get on board with the religion of the Bajorans is because they worshipped entities that actually existed.

That's a really good point, actually. We see their Gods in the very first episode. And we're pretty much given proof of their existence multiple times. Also what helps us get on board with it is that in the very same universe we have Q.

I was always put off by the Ferengi in this show - do they feature a lot ?

Almost, if not all episodes have Ferengi in them, they're a core part of the main story arc/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Almost, if not all episodes have Ferengi in them, they're a core part of the main story arc/s.

And they are brilliant.

yeah ye get to see them evolve from what they were in TNG to something new and very relatable as a comparison to the present day human race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Evade

Not really a fan of the religious aspect of DS9. There's a more than few episodes of TNG that basically boil down to it's wrong to pose as gods to less advanced species but it's ok when the wormhole aliens do it in DS9. There's also the inconsistency in that the wormhole aliens start off not knowing or caring all that much about Bajor but towards the end are, and claim to always have been, "of Bajor." Doesn't make a lot of sense for a supposed non-linear species.

Evade wrote: »
    Not really a fan of the religious aspect of DS9. There's a more than few episodes of TNG that basically boil down to it's wrong to pose as gods to less advanced species but it's ok when the wormhole aliens do it in DS9. There's also the inconsistency in that the wormhole aliens start off not knowing or caring all that much about Bajor but towards the end are, and claim to always have been, "of Bajor." Doesn't make a lot of sense for a supposed non-linear species.

I like the concept of aliens who are free to move as they want in time but for whom space is an immovable barrier.

The opposite of us.

They have to make up Sarah Sisko, in order to explore space.

Not enough was made of this I feel.

I like the concept of aliens who are free to move as they want in time but for whom space is an immovable barrier.

The opposite of us.

They have to make up Sarah Sisko, in order to explore space.

Not enough was made of this I feel.

But we do travel through time, just in one direction.

The opposite of your example would be able to exist in all space at once but in a single moment in time

JayRoc wrote: »

Of course that's true but definite echoes of parting of the red sea when the dominion fleet just disappears ! You don't have to believe in God to see the echoes

One thing that bothers me is that Dukat only reveals in season 7 to have been intimate with kira's mother during occupation? Seems a bit of a stretch.

Do they start off by not caring about bajor ? Where is the evidence of that ? It's awhile since I watched season 1 so it's a genuine question. To be fair to writers I doubt they had all 7 seasons mapped out so plot gaps will emerge

But we do travel through time, just in one direction.

The opposite of your example would be able to exist in all space at once but in a single moment in time

We are free to explore space as we want, but we're locked in to a single point in time, and we have no control over when that point is. True we're moving along, but as you say it's in one direction and we can't change it.

Im saying our relationship with timemight be similar to the WHA's relationship with space.

The show never really explored it though.

yeah ye get to see them evolve from what they were in TNG to something new and very relatable as a comparison to the present day human race

Exactly. They were introduced to be nothing more than a comedic counterpoint to the Romulans, though I believe the Ferengi were originally going to be the villains of TNG?

Quark, Nog, and even Rom, became such excellent characters, with Nog's entering the Federation Academy being an excellent story arc, not to mention his eventual spiral into depression after losing his leg.

We are free to explore space as we want, but we're locked in to a single point in time, and we have no control over when that point is. True we're moving along, but as you say it's in one direction and we can't change it.

Im saying our relationship with timemight be similar to the WHA's relationship with space.

The show never really explored it though.

We are not locked in a single point in time, we move forward (without choice) but we move through time. We ARE locked into a single direction of movement

Do they start off by not caring about bajor ? Where is the evidence of that ? It's awhile since I watched season 1 so it's a genuine question. To be fair to writers I doubt they had all 7 seasons mapped out so plot gaps will emerge
    In the pilot they didn't know about Bajor and had sent the orbs out to look for other entities like them. I think it wasn't until around season 4 when they were suddenly always the Prophets.

• Advertisement

In the pilot they didn't know about Bajor and had sent the orbs out to look for other entities like them. I think it wasn't until around season 4 when they were suddenly always the Prophets.

Or it could be that given the non linear nature of them anything they learn in our future they also learn in the past and present.

They are not omnipotent

Or it could be that given the non linear nature of them anything they learn in our future they also learn in the past and present.

They are not omnipotent
    But their non-linear nature means they exist everywhen. That's why Sisko had to explain to them the point of baseball, they didn't realise he couldn't already know the outcome because they did. So they would have already known anything they learned in season 4 and beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

We are not locked in a single point in time, we move forward (without choice) but we move through time. We ARE locked into a single direction of movement

I dunno, I've watched a couple of episodes from Voyager where I'm convinced time reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

OK ill give it a go so, good to have Netflix for this

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

One thing that bothers me is that Dukat only reveals in season 7 to have been intimate with kira's mother during occupation? Seems a bit of a stretch.

To me that story always felt like a 'soap opera' cliche twist. Something that the writers having run out of ideas by season 7 then pulled out of nowhere. There's no way Dukat would have lasted the previous 6 seasons without mentioning his relationship with Kira's mother if for no other reason than to taunt Kira.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Midway through Season 4 now.
    Knew Worf would be appearing, but thought it odd that he appeared in the main credits of the opening episode of the season. I'm sure that ruined the surprise for plenty of people first time around.

Midway through Season 4 now.
    Knew Worf would be appearing, but thought it odd that he appeared in the main credits of the opening episode of the season. I'm sure that ruined the surprise for plenty of people first time around.
    I think it was so heavily advertised before the original run that no one didn't know.

I think it was so heavily advertised before the original run that no one didn't know.

Was Worf a major character in TNG? I can't even remember at that time really.

Was Worf a major character in TNG? I can't even remember at that time really.
    I'd say he was probably one of the more minor opening credits cast. Pretty much on par with Crusher and Troi with regard to center stage focus.

• Advertisement

Ah Worf got a fair amount of episodes as the seasons went on. I regarded him as a major character by the last few seasons 4-7 of STNG otherwise his inclusion in DS9 would not have been so popular. I always liked him and the Klingons. They were as non politically correct as you could get in ST.

Advertisement