Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Space Nine Runthrough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Ah Worf got a fair amount of episodes as the seasons went on. I regarded him as a major character by the last few seasons 4-7 of STNG otherwise his inclusion in DS9 would not have been so popular. I always liked him and the Klingons. They were as non politically correct as you could get in ST.

Until the Ferengi came along :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Yes to be fair the Ferengi made the Saudis seem practically feminist. I always thought the reform of the home world was poorly done. Nog? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Yes to be fair the Ferengi made the Saudis seem practically feminist. I always thought the reform of the home world was poorly done. Nog? Really?

You mean Rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

Rom is probably one of very few Ferengi that wouldn't reverse Zek and Ishka's sweeping changes to Ferengi society as soon as they became Nagus. He's also pretty much the ur example of the new Ferengi. Life and job not purely driven by acquiring profit and he an his wife are pretty much equals although Rom tends to acquiesce to her more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

There's not a hope Rom would have lasted as Nagus though, the money a lot of powerful Ferengi would lose under the changes would mean Rom would have had an unfortunate accident with a Nausicaan before he even got off DS9. Nice idea, to think that a culture as closed minded as the Ferengi could change, but introduce huge monitary loses into the mix, & it just wouldn't happen.

• Advertisement

I don't know a potential 50% increase to the workforce might result in more profit to be had. And lets not forget there are taxes in the Ferengi Alliance now I'd imagine a lot of the more ruthless Ferengi might become tax layers and creative accountants with holdings in some out of alliance tax haven.

We saw how Worf just happened to a pivotal figure in klingon politics. The writers obviously want their characters to be pivotal figures in the broader universe.
    Rapid social change can happen in societies. Most of the western world saw it in the 1960s but I still felt Rom or his reforms were very unlikely to be possible. The writers didn't really lay the groundwork.

The ferengi surely had various poltical pretenders manouverging for the top position but a lowly engineer jumps the line ? Even if his mother helped ? I don't think he will last long either. I ,claudius indeed.

Evade wrote: »
    I don't know a potential 50% increase to the workforce might result in more profit to be had. And lets not forget there are taxes in the Ferengi Alliance now I'd imagine a lot of the more ruthless Ferengi might become tax layers and creative accountants with holdings in some out of alliance tax haven.

They should look at Ireland with its **** childcare and banks screwing it's citizens as a model. Oh hang on capitalism is for the little guy . If you are a big company state will save you . Having one person at home was not a bad idea . It just should not have been forced or necessarily female. Don't be too radical Romy!

The capitalism argument does support some of the changes, like allowing both genders to work, rather than just males. That does effectively double the workforce, more taxes, etc. They're not pure capitalists though, they're hugely conservative and incredibly greedy. It wouldn't be a stretch for them to envisage hugely successful females like Moogie, ultimately creating competition, and a significant chance of that being a market changer - competition is good for joe soap, not so good for those who aspire to create monopolies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So is there something about Star Trek writers that romance-oriented plots turn into sub Mills & Boon affairs? After 2 and a bit solid seasons' worth of stories, I got to 'Meridian', where Dax hits her head and starts spouting clichés or making really cringe-inducing does eyes to an alien. Not to mention a dodgy 'B plot' where Quark hilariously tries to get Kira's hologram print, so he can sell a rape fantasy to Jeffrey Combs' alien. Lordy.

'Past Tense' was decent though, set in the far-flung future of August 2024, in the last months of the Trump presidency :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Did anyone else expect Worf to go rogue and hunt down Dukat? I love Dukat but his ending arc was a drag!

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Did anyone else expect Worf to go rogue and hunt down Dukat? I love Dukat but his ending arc was a drag!
    I think Worf kind of made his peace when he, Martok, Bashir, etc. destroyed that shipyard in her name. Plus the last time he went rogue for her it ruined his career.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just finished 'Improbable Cause / The Die is Cast', and aside from a plot that felt like a tipping point for the whole Dominion arc, it was just a stelar piece of character work for Odo & Garak, the latter in particular. He featured very little in the first couple of seasons, yet was an abiding memory of the few episodes I had seen prior to this full run-through, so it has surprised me how minor a character he was on the station. In any case, that 2-part story has definitely become a highlight of the whole series so far.

Im sick of Trek at this stage-too many repeats showing on the Horror channel (of all places) and Skyfy . Watching too much. My life is drifting by...

Im sick of Trek at this stage-too many repeats showing on the Horror channel (of all places) and Skyfy . Watching too much. My life is drifting by...

avoid Netflix so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well these are just epic - unofficial/mock-up Blu Ray trailers for DS9 :)

https://vimeo.com/147037826 - Season 1

https://vimeo.com/157758402 - Season 2

https://vimeo.com/175532014 - Season 3

https://vimeo.com/227828163 - Season 4

REALLY should be a thing :)

Oh wow...they are outstanding :eek: Season 3 in particular, wow. The transitions in Season 4 are a work of art, & the recreations of actual scenes are nothing short of masterful...

It needs to happen...

I don't think there can be DS9 remasters because the battle scenes (all space scenes?) in later episodes are all CG that's too low resolution and they'd all have to be redone making it too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

I don't think there can be DS9 remasters because the battle scenes (all space scenes?) in later episodes are all CG that's too low resolution and they'd all have to be redone making it too expensive.

I remember reading a long while back an article explaining why DS9 and VOY could never really be remasted for HD.

Unlike the movie-grade Panavision cameras and footage that was shot for TNG (and thus already kinda HD), DS9 was show with SD TV in mind. Since it was only ever ment to appear on 90's TV, they cut costs here, never really expecting HD to happen in the future.

The same problem existed with the space battle scenes. Much of it was created and rendered for SD TV, as opposed to the Panavision footage made of the TNG ships. They would have to re-shoot nearly everything to make DS9 HD, making it far more expensive than TNG HD.

Finally, when TNG was remastered people were still mostly buying Box-sets to binge watch shows. TNG HD had a good chance in making it's money back in Box-set sales. However, by the time the idea of making DS9 HD came around, Netflix had already started to alter the way people binge watched. There was now little chance of making money back on a DS9 HD project. That killed it.

As for VOY HD....well....to you really want to see the Fairhaven episodes in that much detail? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

I think it was so heavily advertised before the original run that no one didn't know.

I was a regular reader of the Star Trek fan magazine at the time, and Worf joining DS9 was no surprise at all, it was well covered. I think even Sky One advertised his inclusion long before that episode was aired over here.

• Advertisement

The original 35mm negatives exist, so the live action stuff is doable. The problem lies in the special effects, afaik, they'd need to be all rerendered in hd, or worse still, remade. As said too, nobody buying physical media these days is a big issue too.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Well these are just epic - unofficial/mock-up Blu Ray trailers for DS9 :)

https://vimeo.com/147037826 - Season 1

https://vimeo.com/157758402 - Season 2

https://vimeo.com/175532014 - Season 3

https://vimeo.com/227828163 - Season 4

REALLY should be a thing :)

I really enjoyed them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Six months old but there's a really interesting piece here about exactly why DS9 won't ever be converted to HD. Damn shame as at some point no one is going to be interested in screening SD stuff and then DS9 will just... die.

http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/why-ds9-voyager-not-on-blu-ray-hd/

Really, I think DS9 is just at the edge for being acceptable and future-proofed. The previous ones needed the upgrade, because the current technology just looked awwffuull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Three episodes left in my run through. Really enjoyed it.
    Liked the fact that plenty of episodes were serialised, gave much more room for bigger stories and character growth.

Really, I think DS9 is just at the edge for being acceptable and future-proofed. The previous ones needed the upgrade, because the current technology just looked awwffuull.

Ironically, despite being more recent, I've found the Enterprise effects have aged worse than DS9s: I've been watching it in parallel [*] with my DS9 runthrough, and that early 2000s era CGI doesn't look good, and (what are presumably) the model-work of DS9 still holds up really well.

[*] Dear god, that show is exactly as bad as its reputation implies.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ironically, despite being more recent, I've found the Enterprise effects have aged worse than DS9s: I've been watching it in parallel [*] with my DS9 runthrough, and that early 2000s era CGI doesn't look good, and (what are presumably) the model-work of DS9 still holds up really well.

[*] Dear god, that show is exactly as bad as its reputation implies.

Latter DS9 seasons were CG and terrible. Same with Voyager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Latter DS9 seasons were CG and terrible. Same with Voyager

In the 90's it came down to do you want model work that will stand up to time, or do you want cgi ships to move around and do stuff.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ironically, despite being more recent, I've found the Enterprise effects have aged worse than DS9s

Same, plus I find the DS9 & Voyager cg effects still look better than Enterprise's, which have an awful video game look about them.

• Advertisement

In the 90's it came down to do you want model work that will stand up to time, or do you want cgi ships to move around and do stuff.

I'm not anti CG at all. I think Enterprise is quite good for its time and allowed much better action shots

Advertisement