Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada v Chicago and Visa Information

Options
  • 12-07-2016 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Guys,

I am looking for information on the following and would really appreciate any help you can give.

My partner and I have been granted a 2-year work visa for Canada and this has to be activated by March 2016. We are hoping to travel in Jan 2017. However, we are both really interested in going to Chicago. We have no issue with doing 2 years in Canada first but gathering information on what visas to get and how to actually get into Chicago is next to impossible and all we are meeting is dead ends.

We are both based in Ireland and Irish. I am 30 and a qualified teacher, I have spent the last 6 years working in adult education settings and colleges, I have a Master’s in Education and am in the process of completing a PhD. My partner is 32 working in the financial sector and also has a Masters. I want to stay in my field i.e. teaching where as my partner might change to Marketing as that is what his masters is in.

In order to get into Chicago do we need to have jobs organised first? If so, it is then up to the employer to organise our visas or is there one we can apply for ourselves and get a job when we land?

We have both looked into the Green card lotto but the next opening is quite a bit away yet.
    Has anyone gone through the above? If we go to Canada first would it be easier to get in Chicago from Ireland or straight from Canada? Any information would be so appreciated!

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

In terms of getting visas from an employer, even if you're lucky enough to get offered a job and the employer was willing to file it and foot the bill it's still a lottery and you might not get it as those visas are capped at around 65,000 per year and all are gone within days.

I'd say your absolute only shot is getting hired by a college (perhaps school) I believe there are no caps on the amount of visas an educational institute can give.

I'm sure others can give more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Here's a good article about various visa options for teachers - http://www.visapro.com/Immigration-Articles/?a=1626&z=48

If it's too late to start the process for a US visa, I would definitely go to Canada. Personally, if I had to go to a big city it would be Vancouver as my first choice, just because it's freaking beautiful. Other places I'd like are Calgary, for its proximity to Lake Louise/Banff/Jasper, or, if you're into a European feel, Montreal is really nice too.

My sister lives in Edmonton, and it's at the bottom of my list for places to live so far. It's one of those areas that when your dog runs away from home, you can see him running for days. Flat and boring, as far as I'm concerned.

Advertisement