Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turtle in the Tolka

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

syklops wrote: »
    Do you have a source for these surveys?

I do but doubtless you'll want a link which doesn't exist to a hardcopy report.

But don't take my word for it. NPWS or some such may be able to help if you enquire from them. I'm not giving the name of the researcher as their study is on going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I do but doubtless you'll want a link which doesn't exist to a hardcopy report.

But don't take my word for it. NPWS or some such may be able to help if you enquire from them. I'm not giving the name of the researcher as their study is on going.

So no is the short answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

syklops wrote: »
    So no is the short answer.

Yes was the answer. I do have a source but You don't.

I'm not going to argue the toss with you simply because you have an opinion and a study, not currently available through a Google, says otherwise.

Life's too short for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Yes was the answer. I do have a source but You don't.

I'm not going to argue the toss with you simply because you have an opinion and a study, not currently available through a Google, says otherwise.

Life's too short for this.
    We'll miss you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Interslice wrote: »
    A nice little guide, but the situation is totally different in Spain where it was produced. The introduced terrapins would be much more active there, and can breed. Also they are in competition with the two native species shown.
    None of these points apply in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This fella lives in the Botanic gardens not too far from the one in the ops picture.
    spotted this guy (assuming it's the same turtle) yesterday - sizable enough, 8 to 10 inches long?
    i was surprised they left him there, thought it might just encourage others to abandon their unwanted pets there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

spotted this guy (assuming it's the same turtle) yesterday - sizable enough, 8 to 10 inches long?
    i was surprised they left him there, thought it might just encourage others to abandon their unwanted pets there.

Hard to tell from picture but having owned these back in the US, I'd say that one was a male. Females are larger and 'rounder,' this one seems to have a bit of a 'crest' to the shell above it's neck which meant male as I recall.

It's warming up though, a few weeks of this and they'll be out and about looking for mates. Might be too young for any eggs to make it though, they really do need it warm for weeks. But you never know, critters can adapt quickly.

Probably living on whatever small fish, crustaceans and worms it can get ahold of. Wherever it is in that picture looks like ideal habitat (if you're a terrapin.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

a friend was told by a ranger that the water in the pond is stocked from the canals - the stocking method was not mentioned, or at least my friend didn't say if it was.

Answering a question from two years ago here, I know.

Wikipedia says
    The lakes in the park are fed from the Grand Canal at Portobello.

No source for that though.

I'm pretty sure I saw a truck in the park recently topping up the pond, Portobello would be as easy a place to fill that as any I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know of a garden centre (not going to say where) who have a decent pond; they have at least three, and i think four, turtles/terrapins in the pond, only one of which were they asked about before it was put in; the others were obviously brought in surreptitiously and abandoned there.
    they're up to six in this place now. two were authorised.

was in the botanic gardens again today, spotted three turtles. all reasonably large, shells of 8 to 10 inches long.

• Advertisement
Advertisement